Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferred State Exams 2020 [SEE MOD NOTE POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

The Leaving Cert exams are likely to get underway on Wednesday, July 29th, the Minister for Education Joe McHugh has said.

In a live Instagram interview with the youth website Spunout.ie, Mr McHugh said he hoped to be in a position to formally announce the date in consultation with education partners soon.

HGe said he was keen for exams to begin on a Wednesday so students do not face five days of exams in their first week.

A more detailed timetable will not be finalised until early June, he said, as officials want to have the most up-to-date advice available before making decisions.

Leaving Cert likely to get underway on July 29th - McHugh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

km79 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0421/1132983-leaving-cert-possible-date/

A live instagram chat
    Give me strength
    Himself and Harris are pure try hards. "down with the kids"
    Do your bloody job

He's the Minister for Education and interacting with kids on a platform that is frequently used by them. That is him doing his job. You've complained on numerous occasions that he doesn't involve stakeholders. You're now complaining that he is interacting with stakeholders. You seem to nitpick and moan about anything and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I think I prefer when official announcements are made rather than information coming out on instagram chats with the official confirmation coming later.

But, at least the whole predicted grades things has finally been ruled out.

It's an interesting comment that McHugh said that students can't be a room for more than 2 hours at a time at the moment. So is he waiting to see if things improve so exams are going to take place as normal or do they adjust each exam to be two hours long by taking chunks out of the exam. Or do they split a paper into two papers so they still do the same exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm glad he acknowledged the LCAs have been somewhat forgotten about. He probably doesn't have a clue how it even works.

If they reduce the exam time and therefore cut the paper, it would be no bad thing - offering some choice would then be a good solution which would also help to deal with the issue of unfinished courses.

I'm glad he acknowledged the LCAs have been somewhat forgotten about. He probably doesn't have a clue how it even works.

If they reduce the exam time and therefore cut the paper, it would be no bad thing - offering some choice would then be a good solution which would also help to deal with the issue of unfinished courses.

You're right. Choice would be the easiest solution and possibly the fairest one. Maybe there are some papers that don't lend themselves to it as well as others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

McHugh was on the tonight show and said that their would be 'multi-million' investment in technology to help students engage.

It's a good thing I suppose but maybe only makes sense for Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Treppen wrote: »
    McHugh was on the tonight show and said that their would be 'multi-million' investment in technology to help students engage.

It's a good thing I suppose but maybe only makes sense for Leaving Cert.

Love the way they're throwing money at everything at the moment. The next budget won't be funny.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It will be horrendous.We are all going to pay for this.
    The timing of this year's LC will be the least of everyone's worries come October/November.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Love the way they're throwing money at everything at the moment. The next budget won't be funny.

shesty wrote:
    It will be horrendous.We are all going to pay for this. The timing of this year's LC will be the least of everyone's worries come October/November.

Both ffg have promised there won't be austerity, with interest rates at record lows, some negative, there's no real need to increase taxes to service these new debts, they simply can be rolled over, virtually indefinitely, with the principal being serviced by existing revenues. but it will be interesting to watch both ffg fight the urge to return to their traditional conservative ways of balancing the books

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I don't know if it will be a case of them having to fight an urge.They may simply have to go for some degree of austerity.
    Massive short term investment in health,among other things will be needed long term to guard against a resurgence of this or similar.
    Wouldn't fancy their chances though, we have taken a lot in terms of austerity in the recent past.It will be very hard to ask it of people again, even if it is not to the same extent.Although I suppose there is a marked difference between austerity to pay banks, vs austerity to beef up health and public services.

• Advertisement

shesty wrote:
    I don't know if it will be a case of them having to fight an urge.They may simply have to go for some degree of austerity. Massive short term investment in health,among other things will be needed long term to guard against a resurgence of this or similar. Wouldn't fancy their chances though, we have taken a lot in terms of austerity in the recent past.It will be very hard to ask it of people again, even if it is not to the same extent.Although I suppose there is a marked difference between austerity to pay banks, vs austerity to beef up health and public services.

Austerity has no real data to support its introduction, it's ideologically based, we need to grow our way out of this, austerity does the opposite, sadly and disturbingly, more established parties don't see this at all, they are completely blindsitted by bad economic ideas, if they go down this road, we re screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Both ffg have promised there won't be austerity, with interest rates at record lows, some negative, there's no real need to increase taxes to service these new debts, they simply can be rolled over, virtually indefinitely, with the principal being serviced by existing revenues. but it will be interesting to watch both ffg fight the urge to return to their traditional conservative ways of balancing the books

Have they promised no austerity or no rises in income tax ? There's a big difference. SF are arguing for no austerity.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭ngunners

Have they promised no austerity or no rises in income tax ? There's a big difference. SF are arguing for no austerity.

Not sure it counts as a promise but they are definitely trying to avoid going down the austerity road:

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1132751/

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think its down to the EU. The last time the Germans insisted on a bailout/austerity. This time there will proably be Virus bonds-debt will be mutual , We will still have huge debt-but a good portion of it will be guranteed by the EU. Then it depends on EU budgetary rules-they have been relaxed -but for how long ?

In 2008-we had to have some cutbacks-the state could not continue to spend as much as it did pre crash but it did not have to be so severe . Even the IMF said that afterwards. We were running into trouble before this outbreak-budgetary rules meant we could not invest as much as we wanted in public services-where we had huge deficits. SF somehow proposed coming up with 10 billion extra through various tax measures -they claimed this was costed but the Department of Finance said all SF costings had not been road tested. In otherwords the revenue earning and revenue elements had not been tested out there in the real world
    I still believe they should have been given a chance to participate in Government even though I believed their proposals were delusional.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I think its down to the EU. The last time the Germans insisted on a bailout/austerity. This time there will proably be Virus bonds-debt will be mutual , We will still have huge debt-but a good portion of it will be guranteed by the EU. Then it depends on EU budgetary rules-they have been relaxed -but for how long ?

In 2008-we had to have some cutbacks-the state could not continue to spend as much as it did pre crash but it did not have to be so severe . Even the IMF said that afterwards. We were running into trouble before this outbreak-budgetary rules meant we could not invest as much as we wanted in public services-where we had huge deficits. SF somehow proposed coming up with 10 billion extra through various tax measures -they claimed this was costed but the Department of Finance said all SF costings had not been road tested. In otherwords the revenue earning and revenue elements had not been tested out there in the real world
    I still believe they should have been given a chance to participate in Government even though I believed their proposals were delusional.

im not sure ffg will ever allow alternatives such as sf in, theyre control freaks underneath it all, but i do think they ll slowly slide towards more centrist, possibly even left to some degree over the next short while, due to having to

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    im not sure ffg will ever allow alternatives such as sf in, theyre control freaks underneath it all, but i do think they ll slowly slide towards more centrist, possibly even left to some degree over the next short while, due to having to

I was very tempted to Vote SF last time number 1 but held back as I really dont think its possible to have large tax cuts like getting rid of the property tax and massive increases in public expenditure. I voted SDP/LAB?GREEN.
    However I believe FG/ff are making a mistake in excluding them. They could ask them to do certain things to enter Government-like renouncing the army council and being more tranparent about party funds. Now they are leaving them on the opposition benches. If they grow in seats next time-FG and FF wont be able to dictate a change in SF. SF might be in a position to lead a Government
    I do not support viloence a political solution in the North. Sure I understand why it broke out but we didnt need 30 years of slaughtering peoole to get an agreement in 1998 that was quite similar to the one available in 1973!
    Plus the IRA killed more catholics than the British army or UVF
    Funy how SF now condemn the ReaL IRA for not taking the democratic route?!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

I'm aware of the reason for the Department of Education's decision not to use the predictive-grade system.

But couldn't it be used in combination with entrance exams (i.e. matriculation) for third-level college courses?

I believe that matriculation exams - either on their own or in combination with LC predictive grades - could be organised in exam halls with provision for social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Agreeing with Political Analyst.
    Its time Colleges got on board,their silence has become deafening!
    Lets face it,they could KEEP cost to a minimun,large exam halls for social distancing etc
    After all the ASTIs Ms McDonald goes on about wearing the jersey (not that she ll be on the frontline in any case!), but its a huge opportunity for the 3rd level colleges to do their bit and wear the jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

I'm aware of the reason for the Department of Education's decision not to use the predictive-grade system.

But ...

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Management in our school have asked us our opinions on the exams in September and have expressed the view that they feel it will add to what will already be a disrupted start to the school year.... they have asked us to think about what has been proposed and to propose any alternatives/opinions we may have. I think that school in Galway at least started the conversation, whether they were right or wrong to go on a solo run remains be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Treppen wrote: »
    No

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

Why are jct tweeting a message from the minister? Does anyone else find that wording odd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

ethical wrote: »
    Lets face it,they could KEEP cost to a minimun,large exam halls for social distancing etc
    After all the ASTIs Ms McDonald goes on about wearing the jersey (not that she ll be on the frontline in any case!), but its a huge opportunity for the 3rd level colleges to do their bit and wear the jersey.

I don't understand this, do you want colleges to sort out entrance exams instead of the Leaving cert. isnt this passing the buck? The colleges have been sorting out their own students and exams. They managed to get all the practicals and written exams for the final year health sciences students brought forward so they could start working earlier. 1000 medical students in 6 colleges were assessed and graduated 3 months early.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

But couldn't it be used in combination with entrance exams (i.e. matriculation) for third-level college courses?

I believe that matriculation exams - either on their own or in combination with LC predictive grades - could be organised in exam halls with provision for social distancing.

So a student wants to do Engineering, they apply to Trinity, UCD, DCU and TU Dublin. Sit 4 matriculation exams, wait on results, and then decide where to go? What if their first choice is Engineering but their second choice is Business, do they sit two matriculation exams in each University? Who writes the exam? What timeframe do Universities have to determine this and provide adequate time for students to prepare?

There's a whole heap of other issues relating to them which effectively mean it's a non-runner. At the end of the day, if students can sit a matriculation exam in a University and abide by social distancing, then they can sit the LC.
    ethical wrote: »

Universities are doing their bit. In the same way second level teachers have moved online, Universities have done the same. This includes all CA and practical based assessment e.g. labs. They've spent the last few weeks redesigning invigilated exams into online exams, take-home exams, or other forms of assessment.

The Minister stated yesterday that students will not start until late October i.e. November. This requires first year to be completely restructured in order to meet the program outcomes. Ultimately, 3rd level institutions have enough on their plate and will aide the Minister if asked to do so e.g. the late start. There's not much else they can do at present.

There's a whole host of other issues in Universities that also need to be addressed due to the pandemic that are nothing to do with first years.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pursefan

Why are jct tweeting a message from the minister? Does anyone else find that wording odd?
    Nothing surprising these days about how our state bodies are communicating. They all seem to think Twitter is now the acceptable way to communicate! My school also considering doing summer tests for 3rdyrs instead of that ridiculous carryon in Sept.

You're proposing that third level colleges provide exams in exam halls to enter college, isn't this exactly what the LC does?

A large exam hall with 100 in it won't be any different from a smaller room with 8 in it.

Interesting hashtag there.....

Why would they bother with the assessment task if they are not going to give the students a certificate. The science assessment task is only worth 10%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

http://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1252987296703488001

Paid leave for partners of essential frontline workers to be stay at home parents

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement