Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferred State Exams 2020 [SEE MOD NOTE POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Why just just put them in storage and use them next year?

Many of the JC courses will be tweeked by then.

Actually they're probably going to do away with the junior cycle next year so they just want rid of them now.

Also remember the e-voting storage debacle?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The SEC would certainly have secure storage space available in Athlone, but for a number of subjects, 2020 was either the last year of the exam, or the last year in the present format, for example History is moving from the current OL and HL paper format to a common level.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Just got an email from head office clearly stating everything is voluntary post June 1. You do what you feel is adequate.
    I have yet to find a secure video service for giving classes.
    Plus like many of you have childcare issues
    Bottom line is many teachers will do what they are told to do even when they feel it superfluous.
    Make your own decisions based on what you think appropriate. But don't whinge about it if you have no backbone.
    There are students who will suck you dry if you let them.
    Same with Principals. If you are permanent what the hell do you think he or she can do to you ? Put your head on a spike outside the school gates?!
    If there is no childcare facilities open in late July I ain't asking my wife to take two weeks holidays to facilitate me. She only gets 4. I might go in for a week and offer the odd extra class within that week.
    But I only have one group of sixth years. Others with more might feel they have and individual decisions must be respected

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Just got an email from head office clearly stating everything is voluntary post June 1. You do what you feel is adequate.
    I have yet to find a secure video service for giving classes.
    Plus like many of you have childcare issues
    Bottom line is many teachers will do what they are told to do even when they feel it superfluous.
    Make your own decisions based on what you think appropriate. But don't whinge about it if you have no backbone.
    There are students who will suck you dry if you let them.
    Same with Principals. If you are permanent what the hell do you think he or she can do to you ? Put your head on a spike outside the school gates?!
    If there is no childcare facilities open in late July I ain't asking my wife to take two weeks holidays to facilitate me. She only gets 4. I might go in for a week and offer the odd extra class within that week.
    But I only have one group of sixth years. Others with more might feel they have and individual decisions must be respected

Would you mind posting the exact wording of the email
    I got similar from Kieran Christie in relation to July
    But they are less clearcut in the faq
    Would like to read it if you don’t mind ?

Thank you for your emailed query.

In response to your query, there is currently no requirement / obligation on any teacher to attend for work during the summer holidays – any attendance would be on a voluntary basis. This is the current situation. I would also like to note that the suggestion that teachers work during the summer months is not something that the ASTI has ever planned – this was a suggestion that came from the Department of Education and Skills.

Over the coming weeks meetings of a newly established consultative forum, made up of representatives of the education partners, are scheduled to take place to try put in place contingency plans for the Leaving Certificate examinations and it would be expected that a number of different scenarios will have to be covered, all subject of course to the guidance of the National Public Health Expert Team.

ASTI Reception

Association of Secondary Teachers, Ireland (ASTI)

Thomas McDonagh House

Winetavern Street, Dublin 8

01-6040160

• Advertisement

I always said it would be voluntary because the only way to make it mandatory would be legislation . It's legality would be dubious given we have no full senate. The Taoiseach has to appoint his 11 senator's.We only have a caretaker Taoiseach at the moment so he can't do that. Looks like we won't have a new government until June at the earliest.
    Most teachers will do what they can but personally given the treatment teachers got last few years and the way we are forced to be insulted and abused on a daily basis to keep brats in school -I will strike a balance of personal vs professional needs

So it's going to be voluntary which a lot of the sheep won't like as they prefer to have to do no thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

We were told we'd have to get a cert if we were absent in July

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Who said that?

This is why “local arrangements” never work and are a cop out when agreed to

A lying bxxxx told you that . Did you believe that ?! If you did ...

• Advertisement

Individual decision people. End of story . But be sheep and ba ba ba if you like . But come Easter management will have you for dinner !

A lying bxxxx told you that . Did you believe that ?! If you did ...

Ah Jesus, did I say I believed it

Who said that?

Our management, not saying people believed them :)

Individual decision people. End of story . But be sheep and ba ba ba if you like . But come Easter management will have you for dinner !
    It is easy to say this though
    I am a senior enough permanent member of staff.
    It is not easy for people who are looking for hours next year etc
    This is the reality of it.

This kind of attitude will not help them anyway. It is very easy to have a very valid reason to stay at home currently. Doesn't even require a doctors visit or a fee. Just a phone call........

km79 wrote: »
    It is easy to say this though
    I am a senior enough permanent member of staff.
    It is not easy for people who are looking for hours next year etc
    This is the reality of it.

Yes -most of us have been there but the truth is that most young teachers have better rights than I ever did, Cids. But the two Tier pay scale is there unfortunately- but if you ask me its continuation is also largely due to their decision to jump Unions during a dispute. Not all but a couple of hundred. If they flooded branch meetings they would have taken control but to fair there is a lot of good stuff o Netflix and they a need to exercise for those instragram photos etc etc
    If convention had been held it would still be dominated by old codgers like me. They just wont get off their arses

Yes -most of us have been there but the truth is that most young teachers have better rights than I ever did, Cids. But the two Tier pay scale is there unfortunately- but if you ask me its continuation is also largely due to their decision to jump Unions during a dispute. Not all but a couple of hundred. If they flooded branch meetings they would have taken control but to fair there is a lot of good stuff o Netflix and they a need to exercise for those instragram photos etc etc
    If convention had been held it would still be dominated by old codgers like me. They just wont get off their arses

They might meet the minister on Insta :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

could a young new teacher like myself use this as a bargaining tool with my principal. ? Ill do x ,y and z for you no problem. in return i need you to throw my a few hours and get any type of CID you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Dickie10 wrote: »
    could a young new teacher like myself use this as a bargaining tool with my principal. ? Ill do x ,y and z for you no problem. in return i need you to throw my a few hours and get any type of CID you can.

Not really no, unless you had some in demand subject like Irish, Physics, Home Economics. If you are teaching English, you're easily replaced. And you're also up against teachers who will do X, Y and Z without any promise of a CID.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

true might sound cheeky to even hint it i suppose. wouldnt do it a school i wasnt bothered about

• Advertisement

https://www.asti.ie/news/junior-cycle-update/

Nothing new really bar one paragraph saying schools shouldn’t hold JC summer exams
    But it’s not a directive so.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

km79 wrote: »
    https://www.asti.ie/news/junior-cycle-update/

Nothing new really bar one paragraph saying schools shouldn’t hold JC summer exams
    But it’s not a directive so.......

So no exams & all to get a Cert...?!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

Who is telling the REAL truth?

1.ASTI President Ms.McDonald is hooring her members to all and sundry for June/July work.

2. ASTI General Secretary Mr.Christie is telling his menbers that June/July is voluntary and if teacher does not attend there is no harm done.

3.What story does the employer have,be it the Voluntary Secondary school or the ETB,is it 1.or 2.above that they are working off!!! ? Have they been told and if they have how do they propose to deal with the shortage of personnel come Jun/July.........and its no good issuing threats!!! like that clown of a principal,(mentioned earlier),anyways a doctor would be going against his oath if he wrote out a sick note ,and no one needs a sick note for voluntary work.How in Gods name did some of these imbeciles get to be Principal in the first place!

Is it a case of tuning in tomorrow to hear the next episode in this sorry saga?

ethical wrote: »
    Who is telling the REAL truth?

1.ASTI President Ms.McDonald is hooring her members to all and sundry for June/July work.

2. ASTI General Secretary Mr.Christie is telling his menbers that June/July is voluntary and if teacher does not attend there is no harm done.

3.What story does the employer have,be it the Voluntary Secondary school or the ETB,is it 1.or 2.above that they are working off!!! ? Have they been told and if they have how do they propose to deal with the shortage of personnel come Jun/July.........and its no good issuing threats!!! like that clown of a principal,(mentioned earlier),anyways a doctor would be going against his oath if he wrote out a sick note ,and no one needs a sick note for voluntary work.How in Gods name did some of these imbeciles get to be Principal in the first place!

Is it a case of tuning in tomorrow to hear the next episode in this sorry saga?
    For some reason you seem to have it out against Deirdre McDonald. I have heard nothing from her that contradicts the general secretary's statements or Asti press releases.
    I posted what I got from head office. It's clear enough.I can't see any legal mechanism for changing it. It's voluntary my good man or lady.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

The leaving cert is turning into a farce by the day , absolutely no answers from minister day after day .

He postponed one week and full 2 weeks to come with a date .
    Decided allocate 14 million for computers as if that will make everything ok .
    Hoolihan has started to talk about further lockdowns .
    He’s on twitter and in the dail yesterday and every question , were working on this , working on that not one straight answer .
    So unfair the treatment of students teachers and parents.
    Give them a result let everyone move on , Omg teachers and students need a break before they start into next year.

Bar the two weeks in July you will have a break
    Keeping in contact means the odd email

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I don't see how its unfair asking us to wait, it's an pandemic, an evolving situation, have some patience. When they have absolute facts, they will tell us.

Bar the two weeks in July you will have a break
    Keeping in contact means the odd email

Every situation is different but we're expected to input exam results in mid-June. Different school managers are going to have different interpretations of what's going on and some are going to deliberately use situation to harass their staff.

Directives from both unions need to be unified and clear.

I don't see how its unfair asking us to wait, it's an pandemic, an evolving situation, have some patience. When they have absolute facts, they will tell us.

Would it be clear by now that doing projects and teaching for two weeks just won't be possible?

Award marks for projects and then schools can just focus on organising some block classes for LCs.

Feedback from some of our students also indicates they feel the two weeks are too close to the LC when they would probably prefer to be just focused on study and not losing time travelling to and from school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Yes, and there would be carnage in the media if they just announced that that won't work, so I presume they are trying to come up with a plan with the finer points that will work, be it full marks for everybody or more time etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement