Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferred State Exams 2020 [SEE MOD NOTE POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Yet again the prospect of LCs back in school in May is raised.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/leaked-proposed-timetable-for-return-to-normal-life-in-ireland/ar-BB13pjUJ?ocid=spartanntp

Again, if this can be done why was the LC deferred?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

Rosita wrote: »
    Yet again the prospect of LCs back in school in May is raised.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/coronavirus/leaked-proposed-timetable-for-return-to-normal-life-in-ireland/ar-BB13pjUJ?ocid=spartanntp

Again, if this can be done why was the LC deferred?

Firstly, classes operating with social distancing is far easier than exam centres. Class sizes are 20-30 (?), so using the large hall in a school, classes can be staggered. Nowhere does it say all students will be in at once.

Secondly, in the interest of clarity and fairness, a decision had to be made several weeks ago on the postponement of the LC. We were in no position to know what the situation would be in June and it was believed that running the LC would be a non-runner in June (and still is imo).

bren2001 wrote: »
    Firstly, classes operating with social distancing is far easier than exam centres. Class sizes are 20-30 (?), so using the large hall in a school, classes can be staggered. Nowhere does it say all students will be in at once.

Secondly, in the interest of clarity and fairness, a decision had to be made several weeks ago on the postponement of the LC. We were in no position to know what the situation would be in June and it was believed that running the LC would be a non-runner in June (and still is imo).

You are missing my point. A plan was made to bring students back in July. Why not stick with that and not get into the sheer tokenism of bringing them back in May.

Incidentally one of the Principals I heard on the Sean Ó Rourke programme recently thought that LC classes under social distancing in July was far more impractical than the actual LC exams themselves. Funny how opinions differ on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Leo laying out the “roadmap “ tomorrow
    Have a feeling another holiday weekend is about to be ruined

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

We'd a zoom meeting this morning re the Junior Cert arrangements and someone brought up the amount of money needed on a school by school basis just to provide fresh face masks to everyone in the building every day, as well as any other PPE needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

km79 wrote: »
    Leo laying out the “roadmap “ tomorrow
    Have a feeling another holiday weekend is about to be ruined

Of course it was unfortunately 'leaked' to the press today. this government leaking is going beyond a joke at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    We'd a zoom meeting this morning re the Junior Cert arrangements and someone brought up the amount of money needed on a school by school basis just to provide fresh face masks to everyone in the building every day, as well as any other PPE needed.

I think it's fanciful, or at best wishful thinking, to even consider that schools will be providing any sort of masks or PPE to staff or students! The students are considered low risk in general, so there just won't be any major concern or pressure to implement significant safety precautions once any sort of reopening is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Schools won't be back this term. This was laid out weeks ago by the department with the suggestion of a staggered start to 2020/2021. Ignore the articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I think it's fanciful, or at best wishful thinking, to even consider that schools will be providing any sort of masks or PPE to staff or students! The students are considered low risk in general, so there just won't be any major concern or pressure to implement significant safety precautions once any sort of reopening is in place.

There could be a hiccup in this as a study just published by The Lancet in Britain, based on a study carried out by researchers in China in conjunction with Johns Hopkins University, found that children can catch and spread it just as easily as adults.

I think it is just like playing Chess or something with this virus. For every 2 steps forward we get knocked 1 step back

I can provide link to lancet if you want to read the summary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

khalessi wrote: »
    There could be a hiccup in this as a study just published by The Lancet in Britain, based on a study carried out by researchers in China in conjunction with Joh fns Hopkins University, found that children can catch and spread it just as easily as adults.

I think it is just like playing Chess or something with this virus. For every 2 steps forward we get knocked two steps back

I can provide link to lancet if you want to read the summary

I've seen the article. Unfortunately I don't think it will make a difference. I think significant protections will only be put in place if children are considered to be at risk of serious illness. There just won't be the same concern for school staff, same as there hasn't been much concern for health care workers or retail staff etc. I don't think schools will open very soon or anything, but I think once a decision is made that things generally should be opening up, that we can expect DES to do as little as possible in terms of protection measures. There won't be any public outcry over risk to school staff so they won't feel the pressure.

• Advertisement

https://www.asti.ie/news/teachers-remote-teaching-experiences-survey/

Can’t tell you what’s in the survey as I did not receive it !
    They 100% have my email
    I have requested it now anyway
    Will be interesting to see if there is anything regarding June /July in it

“Schools and colleges will not reopen until start of next academic year in September /October “

Leo
    Well then ......

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

“Schools and colleges will not reopen until start of next academic year in September /October “

Leo
    Well then ......

Unlikely ... but I hope so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Mary Lou McDonald just on news there now asking for clarity on whether proposed two week opening of schools for Leaving Cert students is still happening given Leo says schools and colleges closed until September/October.

I'd say he meant school opening in general will be September. In other words they will not open in May. I doubt the LC arrangements are meant to have changed. It would be unusual in the current context not to have a government statement which wasn't ambiguous and confusing in part at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2020-press-releases/PR20-05-01a.html8

Dept issused this press relkease earlier in the afternoon. Met the various stakeholders today and they are meeting next Wed (6th May) don't think we'll have anything offical (apart from leaks) before then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Leo
    Well then ......

Would it have killed him to say "we hope the LC will proceed as planned" but then you wouldn't tune in to see him on the Late Late.

Rosita wrote: »
    I'd say he meant school opening in general will be September. In other words they will not open in May. I doubt the LC arrangements are meant to have changed. It would be unusual in the current context not to have a government statement which wasn't ambiguous and confusing in part at least.

The latest in a lengthening line of silly loose statements from govt officials. This will not help matters with Lcerts now

In other news the survey has come through
    I wrote an essay at the end :D

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2020-press-releases/PR20-05-01a.html8

Dept issused this press relkease earlier in the afternoon. Met the various stakeholders today and they are meeting next Wed (6th May) don't think we'll have anything offical (apart from leaks) before then

The advisory group continued discussions on the practicalities of holding the Leaving Certificate examinations given the constraints of social distancing and other requirements that may be necessary on foot of public health advice.

This followed discussions on the challenges involved in providing two weeks of schooling prior to the running of the Leaving Certificate examination.

Here is the roadmap

https://assets.gov.ie/73722/ffd17d70fbb64b498fd809dde548f411.pdf

For education
    Phase one - teachers may access schools if they need materials for remote learning

No change until phase 5 when schools will return on a “phased basis “

So June and July then.......?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Gal2glam

Would it have killed him to say "we hope the LC will proceed as planned" but then you wouldn't tune in to see him on the Late Late.

Why would he need to say that? It’s starting on the 29th of July no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Gal2glam wrote: »

For clarity of communication, it wud have taken maybe 6/7 extra words

Mary Lou immediately asked about the LC on the news.

Forums, twitter etc already with plenty comments asking for this to be clarified

Because the message on the JC was changed within 2 weeks of the first announcement

Gal2glam wrote: »

Cos nobody is asking about it now............

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Still planned to proceed as per Simon Harris just now.

McHugh to work on the basis of public health advice.

So still aiming for July 29th with still the aim of 2 weeks classroom time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Harris saying he has provided the public health advice about school that they would not be in a place to reopen before september, so are this years leaving certs going to be sitting exams after being absent from a physical classroom setting for 4-5 months?

Well that clears that up then

Leo has now said on national tv that predictive grades ARE being considered as a contingency

They just keep making our jobs harder and harder
    May as well just call it off now
    Good job Joe Duffy isn’t on at weekends (I think )
    Might do a special now though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Leaving the predicted grades door just open. I'm going to imagine that NPHET have broached the subject of the LC not being able to proceed as planned.

One thing that my dad(ex sec teacher) has suggested could be a possibility is a reduced leaving cert. So English Irish, Maths and one other subject. What would people think of that suggestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

Leo has now said on national tv that predictive grades ARE being considered as a contingency

They just keep making our jobs harder and harder
    May as well just call it off now
    Good job Joe Duffy isn’t on at weekends (I think )
    Might do a special now though

Whats wrong with that? They are working on contingency measures if circumstances change. That is exactly what they should be doing. I don't see how to effects anyone at present or makes anyones job harder. Teachers should prepare for a July 29th LC start unless otherwise informed.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    Whats wrong with that? They are working on contingency measures if circumstances change. That is exactly what they should be doing. I don't see how to effects anyone at present or makes anyones job harder. Teachers should prepare for a July 29th LC start unless otherwise informed.

Because he said earlier this week they were a no go as using mock grades would be unfair on students and getting teachers to predict grades would be unfair on them .
    You are correct you don’t seem to see how any of these statements makes any of our jobs harder
    You are not dealing with it day to day
    I can 100% guarantee this has kicked it all off again .
    We had only just for on top of it with our LC students and parents
    I’m not commenting any further other than to say i would not continually tell 3rd level educators he reality of their day to day as I am not working in that sector during this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement