Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferred State Exams 2020 [SEE MOD NOTE POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Is this the first morning we have no headlines or have I missed one? It would be nice to have media coverage die down until there is actual plans

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Is this the first morning we have no headlines or have I missed one? It would be nice to have media coverage die down until there is actual plans

Missed the full name, Brian something was just on SoR and suggested maths, english and one other subject to be the LC. Said that it is obvious that NPHET has serious doubts about how the LC can go ahead as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭bren2001

You said it was not the Gov's fault and media and other parties were at fault? Surely, the Gov includes LV fueling the fire on the LLS?

I didn't quite realise that 2 months of daily media headlines and news reports hinged solely on one comment by LV on the LLS. Nowhere did I say what you are trying to claim. You're hugely stretching and exaggerating what I said.

It's clearly not a binary issue and no one area is responsible for the huge attention this is getting. My point being, the airspace this is getting in general, not LV's specific comments, is far greater than it warrants. This is the media selling papers and other parties trying to make political gains. Nothing wrong with either, I'd be disappointed if Alan Kelly etc. were no hammering the government on this, I certainly would if I were in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Was just thinking the same. Have a feeling there will be plenty of headlines after tomorrow's meeting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

We had Brian Mooney on SO'R instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

bren2001 wrote: »
    You're hugely stretching and exaggerating what I said.
    I'm not bothered to do so again but if you look back you will see that I quoted you directly so couldn't have exaggerated.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113345500&postcount=957

I'm not bothered to do so again but if you look back you will see that I quoted you directly so couldn't have exaggerated.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113345500&postcount=957

Quoting directly doesn't mean you can't exagerate the meaning of something. I dont directly link the two in the fashion you are implying I did. I've further clarified my position.

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2020/0505/1136614-creative-solutions-called-for-around-leaving-cert/
    Parents "union" via emma o kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

I don't tune into the media speculation,I'd recommend that to stay sane.

Off topic but two unrelated questions:

1. Does anybody know when we'll have access to our school buildings? Think it's somewhere on the map but can't remember.

2. Is anybody else's Boards running really slow ie pages taking ages to load?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

acequion wrote: »
    I don't tune into the media speculation,I'd recommend that to stay sane.

Off topic but two unrelated questions:

1. Does anybody know when we'll have access to our school buildings? Think it's somewhere on the map but can't remember.

18th may it said schools and colleges would open up to allow teachers to teach remotely. I think it's what caused a lot of confusion when they went on to say that schools wouldn't be open until September.

There was a thread or announcement about boards running slowly. It was doing the same for everyone. Mine is back to normal since earlier this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Yeah, mine's fine now, but it was crappy for last few days.

A few people saying running Boards in Chrome Incognito was helping minimise the problem, if it starts up again.

The fact that they've taken down the announcement may mean they have gotten to the bottom of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Did anyone else give any thought to this scenario :
    If the LC gets cancelled in favour of another means of grading, what would happen to the students who are coming back just to repeat one exam?
    Say someone who failed Irish or Maths last year and just needed to pass thst exam this summer.
    It's really hard to ask them to wait another year for a second stab at it.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Did anyone else give any thought to this scenario :
    If the LC gets cancelled in favour of another means of grading, what would happen to the students who are coming back just to repeat one exam?
    Say someone who failed Irish or Maths last year and just needed to pass thst exam this summer.
    It's really hard to ask them to wait another year for a second stab at it.

It's been discussed on here. Don't know if the government have given it any thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

18th may it said schools and colleges would open up to allow teachers to teach remotely. I think it's what caused a lot of confusion when they went on to say that schools wouldn't be open until September.

There was a thread or announcement about boards running slowly. It was doing the same for everyone. Mine is back to normal since earlier this evening.

Thanks and also Randylonghorn. Mine is back to normal too now, a real pain for the last few days.

Handy to have access to the building again soon. I left stuff there when we closed and being an eternal optimist,:D never dreamed we'd be out so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,183 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Thanks and also Randylonghorn. Mine is back to normal too now, a real pain for the last few days.

Handy to have access to the building again soon. I left stuff there when we closed and being an eternal optimist,:D never dreamed we'd be out so long.
    When is access coming?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

When is access coming?

18th May apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Is access just for teachers or can students access it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Teachers only and just for picking up supplies

Front page of indo
    “Predictive grades back on the table “

I never knew they were in it in the first place !

Have a feeling the nightmare scenarios for teachers will come to pass
    We are going to fall between the two stools
    Predictive grades
    And
    Exams in August for those who want and I assume class in July. Certainly would solve a lot of socially distancing problems for the sec and principals

km79 wrote: »
    Front page of indo

Predictive grades
    And
    Exams in August for those who want and I assume class in July. Certainly would solve a lot of socially distancing problems for the sec and principals

Wait until this is what people want to become the norm, tow options. Exams being a fallback for those who didn't bother to work at all for two years or possibly five years .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1136614/

Calls for 'creative solutions'.... But "The voluntary body does not state a preferred course of action."

Has anyone ever thought of predictive grading?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭scrubs33

km79 wrote: »
    Front page of indo

Predictive grades
    And

I could (hopefully) be totally wrong on this but I have gotten the feeling over the weekend that predictive grades are being looked on more favourably. This is nothing more than a hunch but I could see it being a compromise between the cancel it argument and the run it argument. I would however be very firmly against July classes ahead of an August exam but public pressure would be intense and as we've seen that tends to sway nearly all the big decisions recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

Treppen wrote: »
    [

Has anyone ever thought of predictive grading?

I would imagine there's little else on the table. I'd say the discussion is around how that's arrived at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Comer1

If they do bring in predicted grades, I really hope they allow us to include the time schools are closed in our assessment, otherwise the wasters will be rewarded again.

Colm O'Rourke on SoR advocating for the dual option, predicted grades with the fallback of an actual exam in July(limited to just two subjects) if not happy with the predicted grade given.

Rosita wrote: »

I would imagine there's little else on the table. I'd say the discussion is around how that's arrived at.

I wouldn't be a fan of predictive grades like most on here. However, I also cannot think of a viable alternative if the exams cannot run. It seems like the best plan B even with its huge flaws.

I struggle to see how the predictive grades for some and exams for others solution would really work.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭scrubs33

Colm O'Rourke on SoR advocating for the dual option, predicted grades with the fallback of an actual exam in July(limited to just two subjects) if not happy with the predicted grade given.
    I must listen back to that later but did he say how the two subjects would be decided? Would there be a circular saying they would be English and Maths for example or would the school/student decide?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

I heard on Pat Kenny just there that Colm Cregan, an Inspector in the DES, has come up with a formula that could be used to arrive at a grade for students. Think its using 5th year Xmas and Summer grade, Mocks in 6th year with some mention of project work, I didn't hear it all. Of course it wouldn't suit those just repeating one or two subjects. I've an adult repeating Irish for Primary teaching, many years out of school. Her only option would be to wait until next year, unless there was also the option of sitting a Leaving Cert exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Purefrank128

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    I heard on Pat Kenny just there that Colm Cregan, an Inspector in the DES, has come up with a formula that could be used to arrive at a grade for students. Think its using 5th year Xmas and Summer grade, Mocks in 6th year with some mention of project work, I didn't hear it all. Of course it wouldn't suit those just repeating one or two subjects. I've an adult repeating Irish for Primary teaching, many years out of school. Her only option would be to wait until next year, unless there was also the option of sitting a Leaving Cert exam.

Colm Cregan is NOT an inspector with the DES. if he was, he wouldn't be making such a suggestion.

On the subject of "predictive grades", why don't we decide this year's Champions' League by looking at some pre-season results, i.e. retrospectively change the purpose of a previously held competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

Colm Cregan is NOT an inspector with the DES. if he was, he wouldn't be making such a suggestion.

On the subject of "predictive grades", why don't we decide this year's Champions' League by looking at some pre-season results, i.e. retrospectively change the purpose of a previously held competition.

Apologies. When I looked him up on Google it said he was/had been.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement