Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferred State Exams 2020 [SEE MOD NOTE POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It is unfortunate that they have to spell out 'please don't bribe the teachers/teachers can't accept bribes' part of all of this.
    Yep, but you know damn well there will be a Charles O'Carroll-Kelly somewhere out there ringing up "just co-incidentally" to know if the Principal wants to use his holiday home in the Bahamas "when all this coronavirus fuss is over. I know this has been a very tough year and the break would do you good!"

Similarly, parents/guardians and students must not under any circumstances contact or attempt to contact, either formally or informally, directly or indirectly, a teacher or other member of staff at any stage to discuss the estimated marks or ranking to be assigned to a student in any subject.

This will be the more prevalent one though I suspect ... and it will probably be the panicky parents rather than the students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I received threats at my home from a now dead (shot dead) gangland criminal when his wife failed a QQI module. Glad I'm not involved in this process!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I am most thankful now that I relocated to 45 minutes away from school last summer now!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Hard to believe that we are a week on from the news leaking about predicted grading and still don't have guidance on how to do it... it's almost like it was an ill thought out and rushed decison...

The fact that we still have more questions than answers is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

It is unfortunate that they have to spell out 'please don't bribe the teachers/teachers can't accept bribes' part of all of this.

This is Ireland after all.

• Advertisement

TUI will be meeting government again on Friday and the aim is for guidelines to be published Monday, hopefully but no guarantee.

Decision on marked Home Ec projects still pending.

Central system for students to confirm levels should open May 25th. Moving up a level not yet ruled out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Teachers and schools must not be subjected to any type of influence, inducement (including gifts), pressure or coercion by a parent/guardian, student or any other person in relation to a student’s mark or ranking either before or after it has been assigned.

I think this point has been made more than enough times, via more than enough different media outlets.

So, why a colleague had 3 emails in their inbox this morning, a student and two parents (one of which had a tone of pure harassment to it) is nothing short of stupidity on behalf of the parents/students (3 different families, three different students)

I don't care if it stems from desperation. It's incredibly stupid and just goes to show what some of this lot must get away with in other spheres of life for them to even be attempting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Decision on marked Home Ec projects still pending.

Central system for students to confirm levels should open May 25th. Moving up a level not yet ruled out!

We can't grade til then so?

We won’t be finished grading until first or second week in June imo

If so I hope that too is remembered .

• Advertisement

It would appear so. This was all from Gen Sec at a branch meeting. Although he said there was nothing stopping teachers from gathering the information needed to rank and make their decision on grading. But wait for guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

TUI will be meeting government again on Friday and the aim is for guidelines to be published Monday, hopefully but no guarantee.
    Do you know if ASTI and TUI are meeting gov together?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

That would make too much sense to be true.

Next you'll be asking if they are going to make a joint statement :D

They definitely were together in talks this week, along with management bodies. I'm not 100% certain on tomorrow's talks, but my understanding based on how things were worded today, is that yes, it's joint talks.

km79 wrote: »
    We won’t be finished grading until first or second week in June imo

If so I hope that too is remembered .

You'll just be told you're off too long anyway

I think asti Standing Committee we’re meeting this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭jayo76

Wombatman wrote: »
    Sorry. I'm talking about a school that hasn't performed well over the last three years.

I think there are huge issues around this. I have said it a few times that as we havent had a H1 in my subject in the last three years are we going to have a situation where a couple of exceptional students this year are denied by this school profiling.

We are not a school however in my eyes "that has not performed well" I know from the crazy powerpoint comparison we get every year with national averages that each of the last 3 years we have been above the national average in the subject in terms of number of students getting H3 or above but with the anomaly of no H1.

On a sidenote do many other teachers here sit through a Croke Park meeting each year of this nature with a powerpoint presentation illustrating school performance subject by subject with the national average??. It is justified in our school by management as part of our School Self Evaluation process but to me if anything it is both demeaning and demotivating, taking no account of the myriad of reasons that can impact student performance from year to year and subject to subject.

jayo76 wrote: »
    I think there are huge issues around this. I have said it a few times that as we havent had a H1 in my subject in the last three years are we going to have a situation where a couple of exceptional students this year are denied by this school profiling.

We are not a school however in my eyes "that has not performed well" I know from the crazy powerpoint comparison we get every year with national averages that each of the last 3 years we have been above the national average in the subject in terms of number of students getting H3 or above but with the anomaly of no H1.

On a sidenote do many other teachers here sit through a Croke Park meeting each year of this nature with a powerpoint presentation illustrating school performance subject by subject with the national average??. It is justified in our school by management as part of our School Self Evaluation process but to me if anything it is both demeaning and demotivating, taking no account of the myriad of reasons that can impact student performance from year to year and subject to subject.

We get a printed page for each dept to look at with comparison to national average. Each dept discusses at a table then. Broadcasting results per subject to the entire staff could be very divisive as its not a level playing field.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭jayo76

We get a printed page for each dept to look at with comparison to national average. Each dept discusses at a table then. Broadcasting results per subject to the entire staff could be very divisive as its not a level playing field.

Yes it is, we get it as a whole school presentation and we get a print out with the comparisons for every subject, not just our own.

I hope it is Monday and not over the weekend. and that they are not leaked to sunday newspapers. I just want a weekend off from it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

We have to work out our own stats and compare them to the national data. Nothing like a bit of active learning!

We have to work out our own stats and compare them to the national data. Nothing like a bit of active learning!

Hope ye get a large sheet on the table and some highlighters to make a poster for sharing afterwards. Love that bit to kill the last 40 mins of Croke Park

ASTI: Our advice is not to do any work on Calculated Grades until guidance is issued by DES shortly. General Secretary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Totally agree, to add, If particular subjects are being highlighted publicly without proper allowances for people to justify then that's totally not on. Contact your union. It's a performance review without due process being followed.

Could you imagine in any other company where you have your work appraisal every year carried out in front of every other employee, and not given the right to reply or appeal. Teachers need to wake up to this.

It's the same for Department Inspections (Subject or M&L), they cannot publish anything without you getting a fair hearing and a right to reply in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I do not understand the point of it in the first place for the smaller subjects. I have between 12-22 students. This is in NO way comparable under any statistical method to the national average. Its a lesson in futility. I mean in a class of 12 students with the H1 rate at 3% odd I would have 0.36 of a student with an H1. What does that even mean? It annoys me so much as a maths teacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Treppen wrote: »
    Totally agree, to add, If particular subjects are being highlighted publicly without proper allowances for people to justify then that's totally not on. Contact your union. It's a performance review without due process being followed.

Could you imagine in any other company where you have your work appraisal every year carried out in front of every other employee, and not given the right to reply or appeal. Teachers need to wake up to this.

It's the same for Department Inspections (Subject or M&L), they cannot publish anything without you getting a fair hearing and a right to reply in the process.

All subjects with an A get called out and praised in our school

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I wonder how much money will be saved this year by the SEC. No need for examiners, correctors, etc.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chocoholic999

I wonder how much money will be saved this year by the SEC. No need for examiners, correctors, etc.

Loads will be saved. I think they’ll probably use that money to give us all a bonus for the extra work we have to put in!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

They'll need it for all the court cases this process is going to cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

All subjects with an A get called out and praised in our school

Which is utterly pointless as well. In a small school/school that doesn't get many As, it might be down to the one or two students who get As and which subject they pick.

I teach physics and one year I had a class of four students, no one got lower than B3, so 100% of my class were above national average. On the other hand a couple of years ago I had a class of 6, one failed HL (refused to do OL when the writing was on the wall) so I had a failure rate of 16%. Both comparisons to the national average are ridiculous.

Also French and German are always blocked together in my school against one other subject. The students who are aiming for third level choose the language and the ones that are not tend to choose the other subject (usually my other subject). I have an above average number of weaker students/students with learning disability/students with language exemption, and of course when better able students see who is likely to be in my class (or the other subject which sometimes lands on that block), they head for languages. So on average I'll rarely have an A in my subject because of the cohort of students I get. There are a couple of students who are 'more academic' who buck the trend and do not choose a language and I'll get an A/B grade from them, but for me they are the exception rather than the rule.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement