Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferred State Exams 2020 [SEE MOD NOTE POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I don't follow?

I am tired and cranky after another 7 day week
    I said I would not be willing to work Saturdays next year (in school )

I have tarnished the good name of teachers everywhere .
    Shame
    We have been getting so much praise here and everywhere up until my comment

Sorry folks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

km79 wrote: »
    I am tired and cranky after another 7 day week
    I said I would not be willing to work Saturdays next year (in school )

I have tarnished the good name of teachers everywhere .
    Shame
    We have been getting so much praise here and everywhere up until my comment

Sorry folks :D

Fortunately the gov can link it to pay rise due in October.

There will be limited sympathy if Saturday teaching isnt considered and consequently no pay rise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

Sadly, this is how teachers will be remembered after this.

Lucky the nurses and other frontline workers don’t have this attitude.

I don’t think 13 hour shifts or night shifts would work so well in teaching, how do you envisage that going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

JJJackal wrote: »

There will be limited sympathy if Saturday teaching isnt considered and consequently no pay rise

But why would Saturday need to be considered except to appease the ill informed who carry chips on both shoulders about the perceived ease of the job that teachers have?

I don’t think 13 hour shifts or night shifts would work so well in teaching, how do you envisage that going ahead?

I think they are referring to working Saturdays and Sundays.

12 hour shifts could help. Stagger classes from 8 -8

• Advertisement

To benefit who?

I’ve been doing 13 hour shifts for the last two months
    It’s just that most of it is unpaid so isn’t recognized as work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

That sounds very child centred alright. Shameless. And quite sad tbh.

But why would Saturday need to be considered except to appease the ill informed who carry chips on both shoulders about the perceived ease of the job that teachers have?

If you want to reduce class sizes by 50%, you need more classes (ie divide your current class of 30 into 2 15s and deliver the same class twice). Prep time or correction time wont increase. Only teaching time...

If you operate in the same building from 8 or 9 to 4 or 5 for 5 days in the week that wont be possible.

In the short term expanding capacity wont be possible. Extra teachers may be hard to recruit (cost and also this years group have to complete their h dip - likely delayed due to COVID)

If you want to reduce class sizes by 50%, you need more classes (ie divide your current class of 30 into 2 15s and deliver the same class twice). Prep time or correction time wont increase. Only teaching time...

If you operate in the same building from 8 or 9 to 4 or 5 for 5 days in the week that wont be possible.

In the short term expanding capacity wont be possible. Extra teachers may be hard to recruit (cost and also this years group have to complete their h dip - likely delayed due to COVID)

But reducing class size to 15 won't allow social distancing in most classrooms. How do you choose what students have to go to school Saturday? Do teachers now have to provide double the amount of contact time? Above all, will this actually be in student's best interests?

• Advertisement

It’s pay restoration
    Linked to extra work already delivered
    But I do not expect it and understand why we won’t get it .

I don’t want your sympathy thanks
    I’d rather regain some work life balance and see my family

To benefit who?

Benefit children. Obviously children wont be in 12 hours. They could have 2 six hour days. 8-2 and 2-8.

Would facilitate their learning and prevent them being deprived of learning opportunities

Benefit children. Obviously children wont be in 12 hours. They could have 2 six hour days. 8-2 and 2-8.

Would facilitate their learning and prevent them being deprived of learning opportunities

2-8
    Home around 9 for the dinner .Homework until midnight
    Hope they are not on the 8-2 shift the next day

I would argue that having to be in school until 8pm would not be beneficial to most children or their families.

And having days off during the week instead?

Let’s not knock this idea.

I don’t mind the idea of Saturday supplements and double pay Sunday’s either.

But reducing class size to 15 won't allow social distancing in most classrooms. How do you choose what students have to go to school Saturday? Do teachers now teach have to provide double the amount of contact time? Above all, will this actually be in student's best interests?

How would you suggest providing our children with adequate education?
    50% of children come in on the 1st and 3rd Saturday, the other 50% on the 2nd and 4th.... Give the children a different other day off each week...

And having days off during the week instead?

Let’s not knock this idea.

I don’t mind the idea of Saturday supplements and double pay Sunday’s either.

Realistically there will be no Saturday supplements. Maybe sunday double time though

I would argue that having to be in school until 8pm would not be beneficial to most children or their families.

So why is there after school study in alot of places?

km79 wrote: »
    I’ve been doing 13 hour shifts for the last two months
    It’s just that most of it is unpaid so isn’t recognized as work

Oh I hear you. I wouldn’t even like to add up the hours I’m doing and I’m still behind on correcting.

How would you suggest providing our children with adequate education?
    50% of children come in on the 1st and 3rd Saturday, the other 50% on the 2nd and 4th.... Give the children a different other day off each week...

Ideally return to school as close to normal as possible. Otherwise a uniform approach to distance or blended learning.

• Advertisement

So why is there after school study in alot of places?

Usually no later than 6. And it is opt in.

Usually no later than 6. And it is opt in.

I can only speak of the school I attended. After school study was til 7. My mates went to another school in 5th and 6th year where it went to 9 or 10.

Everyone offers all the ways not to restart education. I am open to hearing your suggestions on how to get kids back to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Ideally return to school as close to normal as possible. Otherwise a uniform approach to distance or blended learning.

Blended learning not a realistic option. We are hearing multiple reasons why teachers can’t/won’t do this and it has been a total disaster in my place.

Blended learning not a realistic option. We are hearing multiple reasons why teachers can’t/won’t do this and it has been a total disaster in my place.

For kids to get their education, teachers will have to be very very flexible and not expect extra remuneration.

It sucks - but there probably isnt another way?

Everyone offers all the ways not to restart education. I am open to hearing your suggestions on how to get kids back to school?

Handwashing facilities
    Good cough etiquette
    An end to 100% attendance awards and a culture of coming in when sick
    Quick turnaround on testing
    Maybe have kids in classroom and teachers moving so that there’s less traffic on corridors and to make contact tracing easier?

What do you mean by won’t?

It sounds like you don’t believe them?

Handwashing facilities
    Good cough etiquette
    An end to 100% attendance awards and a culture of coming in when sick
    Quick turnaround on testing
    Maybe have kids in classroom and teachers moving so that there’s less traffic on corridors and to make contact tracing easier?

This all still leaves 30 kids in a classroom?

This all still leaves 30 kids in a classroom?

I don’t have the funds for extra teachers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

For kids to get their education, teachers will have to be very very flexible and not expect extra remuneration.

This won’t happen.

The teachers on my school - not all, but a significant majority - have not done much since 12 March. They have no laptop, no training on blended learning, no suitable space at home, no detailed guidance from ETB/unions, no childcare and a lot of other excuses. They are now planning a long summer and same again in September.

Many teachers and not flexible, won’t work Saturdays, extra hours or over the summer.

Just.

Won’t.

Happen.

My point is this is a huge pity as I have family who are nurses and they don’t have this attitude. One has scarring from wearing ppe on her face and we are saying we won’t do any extra time nor be flexible.

That will come back to bite us guys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement