Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCA Admin Review

Options
  • 13-04-2020 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Has anyone ever had an ACCA administrative review and their results have changed from this?

Reading on various sites, it appears that results never change, and if an individual marginally fails the marker usually double checks everything.

Received 49% on my AA exam; from what I have read so far online I feel the best option would be to get over it and repeat the exam, however, I am interested to see if there are any positive administrative review stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tax_tutor1

Papers with mark very close to pass grade are usually triple checked. Its v v rare that a paper get an uplift unless mark tot is wrong or an area has not been marked. The reviews almost always eliminate these types of errors.
    A paper with a mark of 49% will usually contain some fundamental error/errors which the examiner believes a student should not be making at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭robo

I have never read a positive outcome of a recheck with ACCA - everyone says it is a waste of time. Nowadays they just recheck the totting up of marks & don't actually review the answers. Would also be interested to hear if anyone ever had a change in mark if they contacted ACCA.
    Its so harsh to get 49%

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

I have put my exam in for an admin review and am waiting to hear back but not overly confident in anything changing. I got 46 in an exam I was extremely happy with ( it was a repeat in which I got 44 the first time).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Best of luck with the review.

I know someone who got 49% twice. painfully close. My AA tutor did say to me "if you get 50% it means you got half the paper wrong", less than that you got more than half wrong and it is difficult for the ACCA uplift soon to be accountants to a pass. Which I found a bit harsh but can understand.

Sometimes a high fail can be due to a lack of professional marks awarded. This can be down to layout of answers, adding titles to reports, to/from Subject. Intro, Conclusions.

Proper spacing, two or three line paragraphs and break. Rather than clumping everything together. It makes it easier for the marker to award points per paragraph rather than 1 or 2 marks for half a page written all together, with proper spacing you may pick up 3 or 4.

Another important point which I am sure got me over the line a couple times is discipline with time. Once your time allowance for the the marks allocated is up just move on. Dont try and finish the question end to end. Those 15mins or so could be spent on another questions where easy marks can be picked up with the start of your answer.

If you are lucky enough to have time at the end of the exam go back then and try and finish one or two of the questions you were feeling good about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,020 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Best of luck with the review.

I know someone who got 49% twice. painfully close. My AA tutor did say to me "if you get 50% it means you got half the paper wrong", less than that you got more than half wrong and it is difficult for the ACCA uplift soon to be accountants to a pass. Which I found a bit harsh but can understand.

Sometimes a high fail can be due to a lack of professional marks awarded. This can be down to layout of answers, adding titles to reports, to/from Subject. Intro, Conclusions.

Proper spacing, two or three line paragraphs and break. Rather than clumping everything together. It makes it easier for the marker to award points per paragraph rather than 1 or 2 marks for half a page written all together, with proper spacing you may pick up 3 or 4.

Another important point which I am sure got me over the line a couple times is discipline with time. Once your time allowance for the the marks allocated is up just move on. Dont try and finish the question end to end. Those 15mins or so could be spent on another questions where easy marks can be picked up with the start of your answer.

If you are lucky enough to have time at the end of the exam go back then and try and finish one or two of the questions you were feeling good about.

I was originally enrolled with ACA and failed CAP2 FR with 48, 49 and 48. Was a sickener.

I ended up switching to ACCA after taking a break from exams for two years and now only have one elective left. Manged to pass everything first time as well including SBR in the last sitting.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I was originally enrolled with ACA and failed CAP2 FR with 48, 49 and 48. Was a sickener.

I ended up switching to ACCA after taking a break from exams for two years and now only have one elective left. Manged to pass everything first time as well including SBR in the last sitting.

That is awful. So disheartening :(

Best of luck with your last exam. I had hoped to be moving on to my last one (SBL) but AFM is proving a nuisance

• Registered Users Posts: 28,020 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jem123 wrote: »
    That is awful. So disheartening :(

Best of luck with your last exam. I had hoped to be moving on to my last one (SBL) but AFM is proving a nuisance

Just going to do Audit so I can get a practicing cert down the line. Already have Tax done with so hopefully get the last one done in December.

SBL is very straight forward. You can just apply a lot of common sense and it'll go a long way to helping you pass.

I got my admin review back today and unsurprisingly no change in result :( Have yet to see anyone get a positive outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Sorry to hear that.

I can see how ACCA changing the result could bring their marking standards into question so I can see how they would be reluctant to change it .

Best of luck with the next sitting. You are almost there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AbbieMarley

Just to update incase it helps others decide whether to do an Admin Review or not.

I requested the review & my result was unchanged. I attempted the exam again and passed thankfully.

I wouldn't apply for an admin review again. When you pay for a review, there should really be more feedback then is provided.

• Advertisement
Advertisement