Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small flowering trees for damp soil

Options
  • 13-04-2020 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Happy Easter bank holiday.. hope you are all as well as can be expected. I am looking for a little bit of advice. I want to get at least 2 small in stature flowering trees that like damp soil. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Alan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

A kilmarnock willow maybe? Willows love damp soil and the kilmarnock version is small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

Here is a link to a RHS web page with a list of trees that would suit wet soils. The pear, the amelanchier lamarkii and the elder flower have nice blooms and the purple leaved types of elder flower are particularly nice in my opinion. There are links to short video clips of these in my own garden included.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Personally i would stay clear of the Kilmarnock willow, had 3 if them, pulled one out and would like to take the other 2 out. Too much maintenance on them as they get older, they are usually grafted on to a root stock and whilst young they trail, but they want to hrow upright and can be a nuisance. No flowers and are generally unattractive. We have the snowy mespil alluded to and its a lovely tree with gorgeous spring flowers.

Advertisement