Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Underrated goals

• 13-04-2020 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Some goals don't get the love that they deserve.

Most of us appreciate a good goal, but there can be a bit of a sameyness to the same goals we'll see repeated on clips, TV shows etc.

Let's show some love for the more obscure crackers that deserve more attention.

My choice may not be that obscure to some, but it was for me; until yesterday I had never seen it before.

The quality in the clip isn't exactly HD, but you'll get the picture.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This one from Johan Elmander is one of my all-time favourites.
    One of those you have to watch again and again to see each perfect little touch. Sort of like the (much more famous) Zlatan goal at Ajax... that's another one I love, but I might actually prefer this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

2 of my all-time favourites...not sure if they're underrated but you don't tend to see them on TV or anything here given they weren't in the UK or Champions League:

Shevchenko v Juventus (prime Buffon)

Neymar v Flamengo

The former just being an amazing strike after a great run at a top defence. The placement was phenomenal running away from goal and needed to be against the world's best goalkeeper.

And the latter being scored in the greatest game I've ever seen. Go watch the 90mins of that game. Truly remarkable and Neymar's goal was a thing of beauty even if you don't like him (which I don't)

Arghus wrote: »

My choice may not be that obscure to some, but it was for me; until yesterday I had never seen it before.

The quality in the clip isn't exactly HD, but you'll get the picture.

Sonny Anderson scored a similar goal in a league game for Lyon but I can't for the life of me find the clip and don't remember who it was against.

One of the best goals I've ever seen and so obscure I barely remember it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't think you could really call that Neymer goal underrated, it did win the Puskas award after all!

But, absolutely, a stunning goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Always loved Alex's free kicks for Chelsea. 1.50 here against Liverpool and 2.55 against Arsenal being the really good ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yb_I0zmcKaU

Jermaine Beckford for Everton V Chelsea. I don’t know if it was because it was the last game of the season or because Ancelotti getting sacked after the game was bigger news but I’ve always thought this goal didn’t get half the kudos it deserves.

8-10 wrote: »
    Sonny Anderson scored a similar goal in a league game for Lyon but I can't for the life of me find the clip and don't remember who it was against.

One of the best goals I've ever seen and so obscure I barely remember it!

So I found out why I couldn't find the clip....it wasn't Sonny Anderson!

It was Steve Marlet!

I remember taping Eurogoals off the TV pre-YouTube and this was one I rewound a few times to watch again. Stunning volley

Another goal that I regard as being criminally under appreciated is Loic Remy's goal for QPR against Wigan in 2013.

85th minute in a relegation six-pointer. Wigan have just botched a potentially dangerous free kick down at the other end. QPR regain possession and break, but there's only one midfielder - Stephen Mbia - travelling down the field with ball, who is surrounded by a pile of Wigan defenders and has only Loic Remy slightly behind him to his right, trying to make up ground. He manages to delay enough for Remy to catch up beside him and lays the ball into his path. Remy has by now ran a long way, but what of it. He doesn't break stride and first time absolutely arrows the ball into the far corner of the net. And the pass was nothing special, there wasn't much on it. On the move. First time. No backlift. Outside the box. Into the far corner, the keeper doesn't move. Power and precision. Unbelievable goal.

Unfortunately, the only clip I can find of it is in toilet quality. Which says a lot about how forgotten it is. But, once again, you'll get the picture. I love the added detail of gulls on the pitch that are startled by the roar of the crowd, as the move begins, and fly ahead of the advancing players. It gives it this quality of something special about to happen.

I'll always love this goal...

Underrated though?

It's one of the most famous goals in Premier League History.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Underrated though?

It's one of the most famous goals in Premier League History.

Shíte, thought I was posting in the other goal thread :o

What about this, can't find better a quality clip though...

That is exactly what this thread is for. Amazing goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Off the top of my head:

I don't remember this goal getting the attention it deserved because of the way the game panned out and Tyler losing his **** over Martial a few minutes later.

This goal was celebrated in Italy at the time but it seemed like the match wasn't high profile enough for it to really take off virally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

It all went tits up for Maradona after this goal. Clips from his career focus on his celebratory face inferring ‘see he was off his chops’.

It’s a wonderful goal scored on the biggest stage of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Off the top of my head:

I don't remember this goal getting the attention it deserved because of the way the game panned out and Tyler losing his **** over Martial a few minutes later.

People give Martin Tyler awful stick for this, but Peter Drury not much better.

Context of the goal etc.

Off the top of my head:

That was a game of some amazing goals. Never mind Martial, Blind finished a lovely worked move for 1-0. For visuals though, Benteke's was objectively the goal of the game.

I can understand the commentators going nuts over a world record signing youngster scoring on his debut as a sub...but can't understand why that goal of Benteke's was reacted to in more of a consolation manner. It was as if he scored it at 3-0, rather than 2-0.

Some goal though.

• O Sheas goal against Arsenal comes to mind

Only Utd fans talk about it

Was one of best finishes I have witnessed in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Suker against Ireland in 99, 0-0, final minute.

First touch is godlike and then the insta-finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

This pre-season goal by Henry, sublime skill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Speaking of Henry, I don't ever see this goal mentioned as being among his best but it's up there for me

Always liked the technique of hitting a ball that's dropping over your shoulder when running full tilt

This must be one of Robbie Keane's best ever goals. What a hit son!

• Not to stray it off topic but I dont think he got a fair go at liverpool!

Bit of a scapegoat!

Cracking strike btw

Not to stray it off topic but I dont think he got a fair go at liverpool!

Bit of a scapegoat!

Cracking strike btw

Completely. Didn't even get a full season. David N'Gog as main Torres backup for so long was negligent.

Nothing to do with Robbie. There's plenty of times when a player gets the stick for something not working out when in reality it's the coaches and moneymen who make the wrong move or at the wrong time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

From 02:35 onwards

This one. From your right back. 3 minutes in to a local derby

Always liked the technique of hitting a ball that's dropping over your shoulder when running full tilt

Van Persie's goal for Arsenal in that game is also underrated. Controls a long pass, shifts the ball with his left- his movement is amazing - and buries it with his right. What a player.

That Benteke goal against United is unfairly forgotten too. Such a perfect hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

2-0 down against Hull in the 2014 FA cup final and Santi pulls this out of the bag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Great strike by Robbie there, but the defending by Gallas and Djourou there was worse than schoolboy level. No wonder the Arsenal side of that era won nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Ramsey against Galatasaray in the champions league 2014. Possibly the greatest goal i've ever seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

2-0 down against Hull in the 2014 FA cup final and Santi pulls this out of the bag

Pulled it out of the bag with a mere 83 minutes left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Can’t embed but I was watching the Amazon doc of the 2006 WC and Joe Cole’s goal against is one that is one you completely forget. An absolute beauty. You’d think with it being English we’d be sick of seeing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Robbie Keane against France.

Probably the most we'll worked goal I've seen Ireland score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

paddythere wrote: »
    Ramsey against Galatasaray in the champions league 2014. Possibly the greatest goal i've ever seen

This bad boy?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vRHeXQyCPiI

Love his own keepers reaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Berbatov’s hat trick bicycle kick vs Liverpool. He controls a crossing ball with his back to goal with his knee to sit up the ball for the bicycle. Rooney won GOTS for his bicycle.

But this was better technically than that or anything else that season.

• Advertisement

Both of these goals were out of this world strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JaimeLannister

This was from the 2006/07 season, back when i still followed Serie A relatively closely after it's golden era of the 90s. I remember Totti being in unstoppable form that season. Coming off Italy's world cup win, he was top scorer in the league by a distance. Added bonus of the opposing fans applauding which is always nice! The view on the replay is class.

Packie Bonner would have saved it though given his history at that ground ;)

On his day Sully Muntari was an absolute beast.

He'd already scored one in this game, another absolute cannon, but his second goal in this game was genius.

Muscles one guy off the ball, nutmegs the next and then, from outside the box, hits the ball as hard and true as possible with the outside of his foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

This second touch by Boateng never got the love it deserved.

ERG89 wrote: »

This second touch by Boateng never got the love it deserved.

When I think of KP Boateng I only think of this goal:

I'm going to call it underrated because it didn't win the Puskas! Unfortunately the video doesn't give the full build up but the goal speaks for itself. Was my winner that year for sure

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

This game will always be remembered for the comeback but the turn and pass before this as well as the lob is paintbrush stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    This one from Johan Elmander is one of my all-time favourites.
    One of those you have to watch again and again to see each perfect little touch. Sort of like the (much more famous) Zlatan goal at Ajax... that's another one I love, but I might actually prefer this one.

speaking of Elmander, rememebered this beauty against Wales

Advertisement