Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New switches wont screw back on!!!

Options
  • 13-04-2020 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi,

We recently bought new switches and sockets for the kitchen to replace the old existing ones but most of the new fittings now will not screw back in. I have checked the reason and mostly it seems that the small brass tapped hole has broken inside in the plastic fixing inside the stud..

anyone with any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as now it looks absolutely terrible with fitting half hanging on in the kitchen at eye level. Very frustrating. They are 3mm screws so unless I try to tap the existing parts or something with the next size up I dont know what I am going to do :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Are you using the new screws or original. If the switches and sockets you replaced were old they could have been imperial threads use the old screws.

Otherwisethe brass threaded inserts may have pressed back out of their sockets from pushing the screwdriver while trying to tighten them. With the socket / switch removed see if you can push the brass insert from behind and get a couple of threads of screw on then pull the screw forward with a pliers to reseat the insert. When tightening let the thread pull the screws in rather than pushing the screwdriver.

If the brass insert is still turning after you have pulled it back into place you can try to push it out the back and put some gorilla glue on it before pulling it back into place and allowing to harden. Last resort self tapping screws or get new boxes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Could be that the new screws were overlength, and bottomed out in the box, keeping turning in that situation could have torn the brass inserts out of the lugs, major job with epoxy or similar in that case.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

What do the boxes look like? Photo if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

kramer1 wrote: »
    What do the boxes look like? Photo if possible

Yeah the brass inserts have been pushed out the back of the box it looks like. If I bought a few new boxes and just replaced the brass inserts would that work?

Are you using the new screws or original. If the switches and sockets you replaced were old they could have been imperial threads use the old screws.

Otherwisethe brass threaded inserts may have pressed back out of their sockets from pushing the screwdriver while trying to tighten them. With the socket / switch removed see if you can push the brass insert from behind and get a couple of threads of screw on then pull the screw forward with a pliers to reseat the insert. When tightening let the thread pull the screws in rather than pushing the screwdriver.

If the brass insert is still turning after you have pulled it back into place you can try to push it out the back and put some gorilla glue on it before pulling it back into place and allowing to harden. Last resort self tapping screws or get new boxes.

New boxes arent going to be an option as I think that will involve cutting plasterboard etc

• Advertisement

So on one of them Ive actually just discovered that the brass insert isnt out the back its on the screw directly behind the plate. So I think I can sort that

I'd say you cross threaded them and spun the insert.
    Awful job to fix one never mind a load of them.

If its all plasterboard and not embedded in cement or surrounded by tiles then it might not be too bad to replace the boxes, like for like

Just saw a crowd in the UK sell the threaded brass inserts though so I think I can just replace them?? Either by buying the inserts individually or buying a full first fixing plate and taking the brass inserts from that?

What do yous think.

Just saw a crowd in the UK sell the threaded brass inserts though so I think I can just replace them?? Either by buying the inserts individually or buying a full first fixing plate and taking the brass inserts from that?

What do yous think.

Will work on the adjustable side but it's awkward, never heard of anyway of replacing the brass on the fixed side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,375 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That box in the photo could be swapped out in a couple of minutes. Its bearely trapped by plaster at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

kramer1 wrote:
    If its all plasterboard and not embedded in cement or surrounded by tiles then it might not be too bad to replace the boxes, like for like

Get the box out by doing a little a possible damage to the plasterboard

Buy a double dry lining box from your wholesaler

Just be careful with depths

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Drill the lugs out with a 5.5mm drill bit
    Insert a yellow rawl plug(or red)
    Use wood screws to tighten switches back up(you can use socket screws if you cut them at a sharp angle and don’t overtighten)

Yeah it is very tight in others in that particular one its not as bad.

I think I will try the brass inserts first and see how I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

The quickest fastest cheapest way is just to replace the back box

Get some Mitre Fast Super Glue and just glue it to the wall. It'll only be a problem if you ever have to take it off in future as you'll have to cut the plasterboard then (that glue will not break).

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

meercat wrote: »
    Drill the lugs out with a 5.5mm drill bit
    Insert a yellow rawl plug(or red)
    Use wood screws to tighten switches back up(you can use socket screws if you cut them at a sharp angle and don’t overtighten)

Was going to say this too. By far the easiest fix

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Was going to say this too. By far the easiest fix

There is nothing more telling than a socket screwed up with a woodscew.
    If you ever go to look at a job and see it you know that theres been an amature/diyer messing about .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

There is nothing more telling than a socket screwed up with a woodscew.
    If you ever go to look at a job and see it you know that theres been an amature/diyer messing about .

Even more telling is finding woodscrews holding a switch to a wall, and taking off said switch and discovering that there's no box at all in the wall, never was, and the woodscrews are going into the timber framing of the wall.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Even more telling is finding woodscrews holding a switch to a wall, and taking off said switch and discovering that there's no box at all in the wall, never was, and the woodscrews are going into the timber framing of the wall.

I've seen that one a few times!!

• Advertisement

Going to try a few of these at the weekend. Hardware stores reopened for deliverys. Threaded brass inserts and Gorilla glue if needed.

I will keep yous posted

So my solution.

I bought some new insert boxes and took the brass inserts out of them by hack sawing the circle lip off and pushing the insert out the back of the box.
    I then drilled the existing hole a small bit larger and stuck the brass insert in back to front with the square end looking back at me all with the help of some Gorilla glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Why not just replace the box?:confused::confused:

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Why not just replace the box?:confused::confused:

Was going to be too much damaged plaster in certain places

Advertisement