Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

I'm becoming rather fatigued by the whimpering and moaning of some teachers. There is no such thing as a 100% risk-free environment in the era of Covid. Over the past five months, healthcare workers have put themselves in harm's way in order make a living. Supermarket employees on minimum wage encountering legions of customers daily are simply getting on with it to cover the bills. Meanwhile a significant portion of the national workforce have lost their jobs or endured a paycut. Let me put matters in blunt terms, if one is unwilling to return to the classroom then their salary should be reduced. Otherwise it's a kick in the teeth to rest of us who have suffered financially, being on full pay and working part-time (or hardly at all) is perfectly unreasonable. Rant over.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,284 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

what street would that be? i mean, if there are free bon bons going it would be mean of you not to share the location.

You got my 30 euro you're not getting my bon bons as well :mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Sites that make it nearly impossible or as difficult as possible to refuse their stupid tracking cookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I'm becoming rather fatigued by the whimpering and moaning of some teachers. There is no such thing as a 100% risk-free environment in the era of Covid. Over the past five months, healthcare workers have put themselves in harm's way in order make a living. Supermarket employees on minimum wage encountering legions of customers daily are simply getting on with it to cover the bills. Meanwhile a significant portion of the national workforce have lost their jobs or endured a paycut. Let me put matters in blunt terms, if one is unwilling to return to the classroom then their salary should be reduced. Otherwise it's a kick in the teeth to rest of us who have suffered financially, being on full pay and working part-time (or hardly at all) is perfectly unreasonable. Rant over.

For me it’s the unions, B. The teachers have been, for the most part, left in the “dark”.

The ones I know are looking forward to getting back into the classroom but the lack of “communication” from their schools, or the department, is causing undue stress.

The unions just seem to be trying to use this crisis as “leverage”, as per.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I agree with you as long as there is some protocol in place for teachers who are at risk because of their own health.

Also I'm not sure I trust all parents not to administer calpol and send children to school. I'm sure no one would do it if they thought the child had covid but it's hard to tell with children. It is most likely safe to send a child with sniffles as it's just the ordinary cold but do not administer anything which would reduce temperature while in school as you may mask other illness.

There should be no question of getting an award for full attendance this year, as some parents become obsessed with this. I know this as I had to remove my two children from school in the early 1990s when chicken pox raged through the school and sick children came to school until roll was called, and then were taken home. Meant my two missed almost two months of school as one was being treated for cancer.

It's a huge problem for all parents and they will have difficult decisions to make.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

For me it’s the unions, B. The teachers have been, for the most part, left in the “dark”.

We have gotten details weeks ago about the return to school process and changes. Hard to see what they are still in the dark about.
    I think it is more like that hotel in Clifden. They were awaiting 'clarification' from the department even though the guidelines were crystal clear. Some people believe they are so special that they need to be told specifically what they need to do rather than just read the guidelines and figure it out for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Onshuh

People consistently whinging about teachers and being "experts" about what the job entails. They've always been an easy target for some people even long before covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I thinks some schools have handled it better than others too. My kids school were not good.
    During lockdown the kids got one email a week from the teacher on a sunday giving a few lines on what should be covered in home schooling that week. But in other schools they were much more engaged with some hosting Zoom sessions with the kids in groups to try to simulate the classroom environment and get the kids interacting with each other. Others had 1-1 phone calls or video calls between the teacher and the children.

Our kid would have loved that because as an only child he had very little interaction with other kids. When I challenged the school on it they said the department had not given them equipment or training on how to do zoom calls. FFS - how hard is it to use a phone?!!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    We have gotten details weeks ago about the return to school process and changes. Hard to see what they are still in the dark about.
    I think it is more like that hotel in Clifden. They were awaiting 'clarification' from the department even though the guidelines were crystal clear. Some people believe they are so special that they need to be told specifically what they need to do rather than just read the guidelines and figure it out for themselves.

I know, at least, 4 teachers, a mix of primary and secondary, and they haven’t been told too much.

The “guidelines” appear to be very “generic” and the principals haven’t explained how they will be implemented in their, specific, school.

One of them is going into prefabs that don’t have toilets, or sink, facilities.

They’ve had all summer to work out the “kinks” or come up with a strategy but instead it’s waiting until the last minute to “inform” anyone of how it’s going to be.

My partner is quite “pally” with a teacher in the kids’ school and she asked her about the lack of communication with the parents and she was told the teachers are in the same dark.

I would have thought that a few months “at home” with the kids would have given a, new-found, respect for the difficult job teachers have but, then again, maybe not.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I know, at least, 4 teachers, a mix of primary and secondary, and they haven’t been told too much.

The “guidelines” appear to be very “generic” and the principals haven’t explained how they will be implemented in their, specific, school.

One of them is going into prefabs that don’t have toilets, or sink, facilities.

They’ve had all summer to work out the “kinks” or come up with a strategy but instead it’s waiting until the last minute to “inform” anyone of how it’s going to be.

My partner is quite “pally” with a teacher in the kids’ school and she asked her about the lack of communication with the parents and she was told the teachers are in the same dark.

I would have thought that a few months “at home” with the kids would have given a, new-found, respect for the difficult job teachers have but, then again, maybe not.

Is it beyond the teachers ability to come up with a plan themselves? They all have third level qualifications so there is some intelligence there! Do up a plan. Discuss with principal and goto work. Job done.

Instead alot are sitting around waiting to be told exactly what to do where, when, how and why.

Nothing to do with respect for teachers. My little guy's teacher was great during lockdown. Individual messages, corrected all work, made videos for the kids to actually teach rather than assigning work and forgetting about it.
    The school themselves have been on point in terms of communication on what is happening and when.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Is it beyond the teachers ability to come up with a plan themselves? They all have third level qualifications so there is some intelligence there! Do up a plan. Discuss with principal and goto work. Job done.

But sure how can they when they haven’t been let into the school to set thing up?

Anyway, I’m just happy that the kids are getting to see their friends again. Just not too “confident” that their won’t be another school lockdown in the coming months.

Also, agree with you on the excellent job done during Lockdown. The teachers in our kids’ place really did an incredible job under such difficult “circumstances”. Very disappointed with the level of clarity and contact from the school since though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,174 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Meeja calling the Clifden golf debacle Golfgate.

Will this tired old comparison to Watergate of every controversy ever fück off?

I'm just going to side step the ongoing debate... :)

I was distracted by keeping my ham and cheese bagel safe from my cat (my OH taught him what ham is, and now he's a little pest as soon as he gets a whiff), so as usual, I forgot to move the dial on the coffee machine and ended up with an espresso shot in my mug. I had timed it all perfectly so my bagel wasn't as deliciously hot as it could have been by the time the kettle boiled.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Re the school thing, I don't have any children in school so I don't have first hand experience, but this is the way I see it. While there is a certain percentage of school staff that have been taking the piss (the same is also true of any other field), there's a larger percentage that have really done all they could to make things better. The only problem regarding them not having clear-cut guidelines means that if they come up with a plan and then something bad happens they'd be liable and they'd be told they should have sought clarifications before applying their plan. A bit like when you go to the doctor when you're feeling something's wrong but they tell you it's all in your head, but if you go back a good while later and they find something they tell you tyou were foolish for not going to them before.

Also, to me, if a school can't provide hand washing facilities they should not be allowed to open.

Another thing that made my jaw drop was yer man the other day (can't remember if it was the CMO or the Minister or someone else) who said that it's unlikely that a child would catch Covid in school, as most of the cases they found in children in the past were linked to contagion in the household, that the kids would then go to school and spread it there, but you won't catch it in school because it's mostly been caught at home. Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Regarding schools and interacting with people.
    Some teachers were lazy and sent out an email once every so often and that was that to cover themselves.
    Another thing is I know a local school and they did a survey about the amount of contact they received about 40% never attempted to submit work via email, post, etc and some only contacted them once.
    Another issue with using Zoom, etc was some teachers if they used any form of social media, contacting, they'd be one parent who'd kick up a fuss and start contacting the Board of Management, etc about their child's rights. So, they feel it's easier not to bother.
    I do understand why some teachers are afraid to come up with a plan without receiving proper guidelines because if anything went wrong in the slightest way they'll be somebody kicking up a fuss and trying to sue the school.
    I have heard of a parent who went into a class room a few years ago with a measuring tape before to make sure the desk and chair were the correct height.(That's what some teachers are up against.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Storm Francis is trivially annoying me at the moment. It has just properly kicked off here in that past half hour, and I've to cycle home at 4. Another thing that's annoying me is the bike 'shed' at work. It's nicely designed but they plonked it facing the prevailing wind, so what's the point? You can't even shelter in it if you were caught out in a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The little go to last post button is so near the username of the last poster that you sometimes click on them and visit their homepage by mistake. Then I get paranoid they will think I am nosing around on their homepage like a lurker.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

The little go to last post button is so near the username of the last poster that you sometimes click on them and visit their homepage by mistake. Then I get paranoid they will think I am nosing around on their homepage like a lurker.

It's worse as a mod, make them even more paranoid. If you see me as a viewer of your profile, this is the reason.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    It's worse as a mod, make them even more paranoid. If you see me as a viewer of your profile, this is the reason, unless you've a guilty conscience.

FYP.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Ah Newie, never let the prey know they are being tracked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Ocular migraine , right eye a beautiful haze of shimmering colours...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Norma Foleys weird doll-esque face.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,166 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Ocular migraine , right eye a beautiful haze of shimmering colours...

Oh no :(

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Her hairstyle is scary

• Registered Users Posts: 13,166 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

When peeling satsumas leaves orange stains on your fingers and nails.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Onshuh

Autosport wrote:
    Her hairstyle is scary

Norma Bates! :D

Autosport wrote: »
    Her hairstyle is scary

The pearls were all I could see, humongous.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The pearls were all I could see, humongous.

I like a nice pearl ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Showing my age, but she reminded me of Gemma Hussey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

not starting meetings on time :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement