Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

People in shops who just look at you blankly when you walk up to them looking for assistance. No such thing as how can I help you or even a hello. Then they just hand your item without a word and walk back to their computer..i honestly am shocked by the manner on some people who work in retail. So many decent people out of work who could do a better job.

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    When you're watching a movie with someone and they continually adjust the volume. Just leave it at one setting FFS.

In fairness I find I have to do this if you are trying not to wake others in the house etc as the sound from the movie is constantly getting louder and quieter and the ads always get much louder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Do you really think that many kids grow up dreaming of being a neurosurgeon or doctor in a burns ward for example... peeling people's skin off after being in a bad house fire!?

Oh yes yes mummy... I want to open up people's heads and look inside, with my big noisy saw for cutting human skulls open! :D

Nah, some people perhaps... but many more just fancy the challenge of accomplishing something that most other people can't achieve.

You can see it even in the bedside manner of many Docs... they weren't cut out for the whole cuddly caring side of a career in medicine. They just knew how to learn difficult things and pass exams.

Still, we need lots of clever people in medicine - so beggars can't be choosers! :)

Can't say I've given it that much thought to be honest! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

People who drive right up your arse when you're keeping to the speed limit, especially if you're in a 30km residential zone. It's endemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I can't explain why, but when somebody (it's nearly always scruffy youths) get to the bottom of the crisp packet and instead of taking the last few crumbleenies out with their fingers, they theatrically tilt back their head and pour the remainder of the bag down their gobs.
    It makes me want to slap them. I have no idea why.

Earlier today, I passed a girl in the corridor at work and she really annoyed me. Her crime? Walking with her hands folded across her chest. Granted, she is entitled to walk whatever way she wants, but the impracticality of the act really got to me.

So, I'll throw it open to the floor. No obviously annoying habits like picking your nose or clicking your fingers. I am talking about seemingly innocuous things that people do that shouldn't bother you, but really do.

Maybe she was watching Noah the other evening and faux-pretending to be Queen of Egypt! Cut her some slack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

women with prams who plough through crowds and old frail folk without as much as a hesitation or apologetic nod & feel self entitled to batter the ankles off anyone else using the path and hammer through them at top speed because they feel they are entitled.

People who allow(ed) their children to sit in ****ing hamdicap seats and elderly seats when old people on sticks are left to dangle by straps and wobble about on the bus/ tram. It may be obvious but it happens so often and is so ignorant that it has to be mentioned.

People who think that because they are wearing a mask they become invisible and can eyeball you and stare at you. I CAN SEE YOU STOP STARING.

Covid -19 leaflets in doors that say no leaflets. Must I dangle a mousetrap on the far side to make my point clear?

I was with an elderly uncle on the Luas one time and this happened in the elderly section. The poor crathur (Uncle) had two sticks.. I stared at Momma but was ignored. Then I did something I have never done before, I lifted two year old precious child and placed him onto Momma's lap and Uncle sat down.

Nothing happened, the journey continued and all was well. It's like those fkrs who put their bags on the seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I used to work with this guy, whenever he'd come to my desk he'd knock on it twice before he started talking. It's really stupid, but it annoyed me so much!

Now I work with a guy who, when coming over for a chat and one of my desk neighbours is gone, will sit on their chair and adjust it! He does it to mine too if I'm away and he chats to one of my neighbours. Again, really silly but it kind of grates on you after a while.

I also work with a guy who always breathes into his microphone during calls (someone needs to show him the mute button). Ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

People in shops who just look at you blankly when you walk up to them looking for assistance. No such thing as how can I help you or even a hello. Then they just hand your item without a word and walk back to their computer..i honestly am shocked by the manner on some people who work in retail. So many decent people out of work who could do a better job.

I’m in a supermarket about two months ago, I can’t for about the third week find any Mountain Dew ...I interrupt a staff member in the same isle who is replenishing coke and ask if he knows what the craic is, are they still stocking it. About 20 seconds of facial gymnastics and thinking expressions his answer... “ohh I don’t know, sorry”...with a slightly quizzical look that I’d ask him such a question he turns back to the shelf and continues stacking it.

I agree 100% , the last few years *some* companies seem to have abdicated any and all interests in providing their customers with ‘service’....instead hiring the cheapest, dumbest and disinterested people, this fella prob or seemed to fit all that criteria.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I have a very long list. Here is a short version.

When someone is eating and instead of biting and then letting it go, they kind of keep it in their mouth and take several little bites, like a crocodile working on an antelope’s hindquarters. What is this, Animal Planet?

People who hold their spoon like a trowel in their right hand, while leaning heavily on their left elbow like they’re going to collapse otherwise.

People who smoke in their own car with windows closed.

How is any of this MY problem??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Another one, now that workplaces are mentioned:

I have my own office and phone. Nobody else has ever answered my phone in 15 years. With me? So one of the guys downstairs if he needs to call me, he rings me up. Say for argument sake my name is John. I pick up the phone "Hello?". And every single time he rings, without exception, he says "John?".

One of these days im going to go postal on him and say "Of course its me. You knew it was me when I answered the bastarding phone, you know its my voice. It has always been me in 15 FCUKING YEARS. nobody but nobody else answers Johns phone in JOHNS OFFICE so why oh why do you always sound so surprised"!!!

Christ, annoying. That felt great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭893bet

Another one, now that workplaces are mentioned:

I have my own office and phone. Nobody else has ever answered my phone in 15 years. With me? So one of the guys downstairs if he needs to call me, he rings me up. Say for argument sake my name is John. I pick up the phone "Hello?". And every single time he rings, without exception, he says "John?".

One of these days im going to go postal on him and say "Of course its me. You knew it was me when I answered the bastarding phone, you know its my voice. It has always been me in 15 FCUKING YEARS. nobody but nobody else answers Johns phone in JOHNS OFFICE so why oh why do you always sound so surprised"!!!

Christ, annoying. That felt great.

I am annoyed for you.

Yer man is a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

When they speak.

Parents on thier phones in parks..
    Taking pics of their kid...'big smile'
    Goes back to Facebook, ignores kid for the rest of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

It 's been a while because of covid but when people jump off the train at a stop, suck in a quick succession of desperate puffs of a fag, then jump back on as the doors close , come on in rubbing their hands delighted and sit nearby me it makes me feel like getting sick. I have a certain tolerance for fags as a few times a year I love a rollie and I grew up with smokers and a lot of people I know love the fags. Although they all smoke outdoors I must say. But Christ those on board confined exhalations of post frantic-fag breath are really vile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

If I am walking down the road and meet someone who deliberately does not acknowledge me. They get a pass if they are day dreaming. But I really hate it if they know you are there and not so much as a head nod, smile, pair a fingers whatever... I hate that. I am not fussy, you can glare at me and tell me to phuck off ,or ask me what I am looking at?

But I just want my existence acknowledged thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sorry, didn't see you there.
    Similarly, live in the country, walk local bye road, salute and occasionally get a blank, from people in cars WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Do you really think that many kids grow up dreaming of being a neurosurgeon or doctor in a burns ward for example... peeling people's skin off after being in a bad house fire!?

Oh yes yes mummy... I want to open up people's heads and look inside, with my big noisy saw for cutting human skulls open! :D

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a pathologist, and used to tell anyone who asked. My logic was that I wanted to be a surgeon, but didn't want the responsibility of having people's lives in my hands, so if something went wrong doing a post mortem, it wasn't the end of the world. You also didn't need to be so neat at stitching.

My Dad lectured in the College of Surgeons. Seemingly a running joke in the medical profession (or maybe it was just him) was that Dermatology was for doctors who were scared of killing their patients.

I have to say, I'm not TAd that I didn't end up following that career path at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

In fairness I find I have to do this if you are trying not to wake others in the house etc as the sound from the movie is constantly getting louder and quieter and the ads always get much louder.

I believe that's because it's outputting 5.1+ surround sound through your mono speakers on the tv, so the centre speaker for voices is not there, and gets lost behind the other 4.1 speakers trying to do everything at the same time. PITH, you'd think at this stage you'd be able to pick the audio output. It's most noticeable on streaming sites. Solution? Sound bar.
    Water John wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't see you there.
    Similarly, live in the country, walk local bye road, salute and occasionally get a blank, from people in cars WTF?

That's dem city folks coming out around our neck of the woods. They don't understand how to drive in the country, let alone the correct process of acknowledging random people, either walking or in cars. Remember:

1 finger salute (your index finger) - Strangers
    2-3 finger salute - people you know
    Back of hand up against the windscreen - mates

For my contribution to this thread, it's the seeminly harmless remarks people make to me about my introvert like lifestyle, telling me it's bad for my mental health. No, it's not. It's the constant gossiping that is bad for peoples health. Just feck off and leave me alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Having done a long & thankfully finished some years ago stint in Grocery Retail unlike you I can assure you the above is true but its true because retail is a very low paid job, the hours are very unsocial & nearly always subject to change, would you be happy with a customer every few minutes asking for something even though most that you deal with you see them in the shop daily?

I doubt it & the snide remarks you get from "customers" that pay your wages is through the roof especially with comments like "arent you lucky to be working in the recession" or that gem "I pay your wages, if i shopped in Aldi etc your money would be down", not everybody is well paid in retail & its a thankless job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Regardless of whether you're happy or not to be dealing with customers in that situation, it's your job. I wouldn't be happy as a owner knowing that the customer facing staff act like that. Don't like it? Move on, plenty of others willing to take up the position (I've done my time in most customer facing service roles).

But I agree that the wages are terrible. Like waiting/bar staff, for the work that gets done it's very underpaid. And no, not everyone can do it, and it's usually the people who say that every dope can do it are the same people who wouldn't be able to manage it themselves.

Should be more like Japan, high standard from everyone and not a bad wage (average 163k yen, monthly rent is about 50-70k yen outside of touristy/busy areas). Tipping not allowed. The service industry in Ireland is very underpaid imo.

• Advertisement

When to start

Cyclists in the middle of the road, cars parked on paths, pedestrians in the cycle Lane

Cars facing into a driveway on the path. Park legally and walk an extra 3 feet you fat ****!

Getting the lift 1 floor. See above.

Autocorrect correcting normal words into some bizarre language I have never used. Why does it change 'Dublin' into dullin?

Misusing words constantly. No you can't 'literally' walk forever.

Not understanding the difference between for, four, fore. They're, their, there. Too, to, two.

Using 'weather' instead of 'whether'

Using my cup in work. It's got my ****ing name on it!

Expecting me to know every single bus route and timetable because I work in Dublin city centre. I know the bus that brings me home. That's all I need.

Not indicating and people that just pull in and stop.

Driving slowly on a small road. There's an open road in front of you and a traffic jam behind you. Speed the **** up!

Some dick ringing my doorbell to sell me something I Don't want when I'm on nights

Anybody who starts a sentence with "I pay your wages" or "as a taxpayer". We all pay each other's wages and most people pay tax.

People with grossly overpriced items purely for the name. I'm looking at you mr air pods.

Half the people in the cinema. What will it take for up to turn off your phone / shut the **** up / put your feet down? A gun to the head?

And the biggest one: parents that bring their kids to a kids film and sit down in front of a child. Look around dickhead and place your child in front of mine and you in front of me or move a few seats sideways!

How could I forget, the line in airport security. Have to ever been on a plane before? Wait until it's their turn then go through the back, produce all the electronics, the gels, the random bottle of water. Finally it goes through and they set the alarm off because the have keys, phones, belts, etc still on and yo can be guaranteed it will that fame ****er that insists on putting it all back in the bag slowly at the conveyor so no other person's property comes through. A sock full of batteries is too good for em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Apparently, advertisers realised that people were most likely to make a cup of tea during the ad break so make their adverts louder than tv shows, so they can be heard in the next room.

Fairly sure I heard that on QI or one of them shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Watching a film and people seem to be so determined to tell or ask you about what other movies the actor was in. It doesn't ****ing matter. I honestly don't care about actors beyond their characters in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

People, nurses, doctors who call THE baby, baby. Like baby needs a bottle. Or what is baby doing? Does baby have a name? Where is baby?

Realise I'm probably missing something but it drives me mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

Your work colleague that burns the ears off you whilst you're trying to work. Mf, I'm trying to squeeze these 5 trolleys of trays of bread, organised and into the right place of the van whilst also making sure the 1200 units of bread product on the issue statement are present, I dont care about your broken bike wheel, your route home or the gradients of the roads you take home. Cycling shorts at work? My eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

People, nurses, doctors who call THE baby, baby. Like baby needs a bottle. Or what is baby doing? Does baby have a name? Where is baby?

Realise I'm probably missing something but it drives me mental.
    Worse again when they refer to the new mother as Mum/Mam. I've never had a child but I'm fairly sure I'd respond with "I don't recall pushing you out of my vagina!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

People who say "it is what it is" or "I seen a documentary the last day". Not sure which I hate more.

Also people who stop to let cars out of insignificant sideroads just to give themselves the self-gratification, all the while giving the finger to the traffic building up behind them. Drivers who think they know better than the rules of the road in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Some people in shops do not know the social distance rule there's marks on the floor, why are you standing 4 inches behind me.
    Shop staff don't bother enforcing social distance rules, apart from wash your hands rules.
    People on podcasts who drop the g,
    Eg they say i was catchin the ball
    I was expectin a phone call
    You can talk for an hour but you can't pronounce the letter g
    This is common to UK and USA podcasters
    People who talk too much about their children
    People who only talk about sport

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Parents (mostly female) who block roads outside schools to let their little darlings walk the shortest possible route to the school gates, let the little fatsos walk like we all did back in the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

People slooooooowly deciding which bag to put their Lidl eggs into at the checkout

Lidl have a packing space especially designed for you.

Pack your stuff like speedy Gonzalez and beat the shop assistant or go to the packing shelf, no shame in it

If you want all day to hold up a queue there are supermarkets for this but Lidl isn't it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement