Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Rarely see them anymore.
    The first petrol station I pulled up at yesterday said cash only! No atm on the forecourt.
    Now I normally carry a bit of cash but not enough to fill a tank.

Get it sorted FFS.

The crowd that took over the Tesco filling stations are all pay at the pump now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

PsychoPete wrote: »
    The crowd that took over the Tesco filling stations are all pay at the pump now
    Ireland finally catching up with the modern age.
    That facility is available in many countries around the world for many years, and it is really handy ..... especially during Covid times.
    TA'd that Ireland is so slow to implement useful modern technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Me: hello customer, we know things are difficult right now, do you want to renew your licence or not this year?
    Customer: no, I don't want to renew it.
    Me: sends out expiry letter.
    Customer: WTAF IS WRONG WITH YOU HOW DARE YOU EXPIRE MY LICENCE!?!?
    Me: um.......you told me you didn't want to renew it, therefore it will expire. If you want to renew it just let me know.
    Customer: Well there's no light at the end of the tunnel and it's all in God's hands.
    Me: So...........................no?
    Customer: Well it all depends on the government at this point and whether they let us reopen or not.
    Me: So..........................yes?
    Customer: well of course I want to renew this *scoffs*, you should never assume these things. You are obviously an idiot and I can't imagine how you're still employed.
    Me: ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Circle K and Maxol local to me have pay at the pump. I never enter the shop anymore.....no temptation for chocolate treats which is an added bonus.

So handy when there are chldren in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Neighbours bloody talking again....12.30am on a weeknight and they're having a full on loud conversation on the other side of the wall. Every time it stops and I think I can finally get to sleep, the man starts up again. He seems to love the sound of his own voice. I just can't get over how inconsiderate these people are. I'd be whispering at this time of night.

Every time you post about them it boils my blood. It's just so inconsiderate and selfish. What are they talking about anyway? If it's that important or interesting talk about it earlier on in the evening, bedtime is for winding down and sleeping.
    I personally think 10pm is late enough for anybody to be making substantial noise.
    Unfortunately there are many inconsiderate assholes out there. I've written about my last flatmate on here before. Even picturing him now wrecks my head. He was Spanish and really loud. He used to make zoom calls in the sitting room while I'd be reading a book or watching a movie. He used to make dinner at about 11pm which I know is normal in Spain but I'd be trying to sleep and I'd hear him banging around the kitchen, playing **** rap music or talking loudly in Spanish on the phone. He always seemed to be frying onions too and the smell would pour into my room.
    Oh God the thoughts of it!
    Have you tried speaking to them about it? I can't remember if you said before that you did but it didn't stop them.
    Totally feel for you though. It drove me insane. Its really upsetting 😡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Lack of communication in my work is really irritating me, lately.

So I have access to a school between the hours of 5pm and 9pm so I can clean it for the evening. I have access to the door code and alarm. All of a sudden my boss gives me a fob key and tells me to use that. Now, my first instinct with this is "oh grand that'll be handy - saves me from having to punch in the code."

My usual routine is: on arrival - enter code, unlock door, unset alarm.
    then, on departure - set alarm, lock door, leave.

The other day I misplaced the fob but didn't think anything of it - I had planned to go to the office and request a new one, but I didn't feel rushed to do it as I already knew the door code anyway so I could still let myself in and do my job at least. My boss rang me this morning and said "Dave, where's your fob and why haven't you been using it?"

First of all, I thought: how the hell did she know I wasn't using the fob?

Then I said "no I misplaced the fob I can't remember where I left it - I've just been using the door code for the time being"

"No Dave you need to use the fob for traceability, you need to fob in and fob out, you can't be using the door code anymore"

Then I stopped in my tracks and said "what? I have to fob OUT as well? How does that work? I usually just put on the alarm and close the door"

(From what I've noticed, when I use the fob, it activates a mechanism that unlocks the front door so I can turn the key. Doing that when I leave wouldn't make sense to me so I never thought of fobbing out - why would I activate the mechanism to unlock the door when I'm locking it? I can turn the key to lock it without the need of a fob so what am I doing wrong??)

"No Dave you need to fob out when you leave as well, it's for traceability"

So now I have more problems with this than I thought.

Why are your tracing me, and why didn't you tell me this from the beginning? Why didn't you specify why I was now receiving a fob? Is this why the sign-in sheet doesn't get written on anymore? What's going on? I wasn't given any further instructions with this f*cking fob apart from "here's a fob for ya" I thought it was for convenience purposes. All of a sudden I'm breaking some huge rule I never knew I was breaking nor was informed of. She told me I left the fob in the school and the headmaster is gonna give it to me.

Now I have to go into the school on my way to another location today, and grab the fob from the headmaster. While I'm there I'm gonna ask what the fob is actually for and why it's important because as far as I was aware it was just so I could have exclusive access to the building without the need of a key code - like if the code gets changed at least I can still get in without an issue. Excuse my naivety like but I've never used anything like this before and my boss was just like "here ya go" and left it at that.

If I had been told the importance of the fob in the first place I'd make sure to be religious in my use with it. I understand I should've been minding it in the first place but mistakes are mistakes and it's not uncommon to lose something, but now she probably thinks I never used it once and it was in the school the whole time without me picking it up. I swear if I see my boss I'm gonna have a talk with her about this because it's starting to bug me now that I don't get told things in any detail when given new instructions.

This isn't the only thing I've been pulled up on without realising I did something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Why are your tracing me, and why didn't you tell me this from the beginning? Why didn't you specify why I was now receiving a fob? Is this why the sign-in sheet doesn't get written on anymore? What's going on? I wasn't given any further instructions with this f*cking fob apart from "here's a fob for ya" I thought it was for convenience purposes. All of a sudden I'm breaking some huge rule I never knew I was breaking nor was informed of. She told me I left the fob in the school and the headmaster is gonna give it to me.
    I work between two buildings which are fairly close to each other, but when we are going from one building to the other, we have to swipe out of the building we're leaving, and swipe into the one we're entering (and I don't just mean the door). It is for traceability too.

In the the event of a fire, or even for a fire drill, they'll know who is in what building when they're doing the roll-call. Actually, now that I think about it, we don't do a roll-call anymore. We have to swipe a machine at the assembly point. But it still tells them who hasn't swiped and what building they should be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

People who stop to let people cross the road when exiting the roundabout.
    Aagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

deise08 wrote: »
    People who stop to let people cross the road when exiting the roundabout.
    Aagh.

As a pedestrian I've had that done for me and I personally don't feel comfortable with it. I often wave them to continue driving and they look at me like I shat in their kettle. YOU'RE NOT MEANT TO DO THAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Kivaro wrote: »
    Ireland finally catching up with the modern age.
    That facility is available in many countries around the world for many years, and it is really handy ..... especially during Covid times.
    TA'd that Ireland is so slow to implement useful modern technology.
    And it only took a pandemic for us to introduce table service in pubs.
    TA that the leads on electrical goods are getting ever shorter so more profit for the makers. It's getting to the point where you need extensions at every socket or you will be down on your knees by the wall using the device :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Porklife wrote: »
    Every time you post about them it boils my blood. It's just so inconsiderate and selfish. What are they talking about anyway? If it's that important or interesting talk about it earlier on in the evening, bedtime is for winding down and sleeping.
    I personally think 10pm is late enough for anybody to be making substantial noise.
    Unfortunately there are many inconsiderate assholes out there. I've written about my last flatmate on here before. Even picturing him now wrecks my head. He was Spanish and really loud. He used to make zoom calls in the sitting room while I'd be reading a book or watching a movie. He used to make dinner at about 11pm which I know is normal in Spain but I'd be trying to sleep and I'd hear him banging around the kitchen, playing **** rap music or talking loudly in Spanish on the phone. He always seemed to be frying onions too and the smell would pour into my room.
    Oh God the thoughts of it!
    Have you tried speaking to them about it? I can't remember if you said before that you did but it didn't stop them.
    Totally feel for you though. It drove me insane. Its really upsetting ��

They talk about absolute bollix. Pointless discussions which often result in semi arguing, where their voices get louder and louder and higher pitched. They talk all evening (I can hear them in their living room from mine) and then they do it in bed. Last night he actually shouted her from another room, at gone midnight, and woke me up. Then over an hour of inane conversation. She was actually trying to sleep, I heard her shut down the conversation and stop answering, and at one point tell him she was going to sleep, then he'd pipe back up again. It's as if he thinks every thought he ever has in his head needs to be articulated? Total simpleton.

I have talked to them and they think I'm unreasonable. They think it's totally normal to want to chat in bed and that I have no right to demand they don't. I literally never heard the people who lived there before them. It was a total non-issue, I never once had trouble getting to sleep before these clowns moved in. I don't think they can comprehend how loud they are and how much I can hear.

As a pedestrian I've had that done for me and I personally don't feel comfortable with it. I often wave them to continue driving and they look at me like I shat in their kettle. YOU'RE NOT MEANT TO DO THAT.

A relative of mine was killed like this in his early teens. Someone waved him across before he had reached the pedestrian crossing, he was hesitant, and they waved again and he felt pressured to go. Car came flying round the blind corner on the other side of the road and killed him. He'd never have chosen to cross there had that idiot not suddenly stopped and waved him on.

People who don't understand that suddenly stopping to let someone cross the road isn't 'nice' should not be allowed to have a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Why does every 'debate' on covid focus on the mortality rates and not the potential severe long term side effects?

wildwillow wrote: »
    Circle K and Maxol local to me have pay at the pump. I never enter the shop anymore.....no temptation for chocolate treats which is an added bonus.

So handy when there are chldren in the car.

I was thinking about doing a rant about petrol pumps. I know the perils or trying to make something idiot proof, but surely in 2020 we could have a bit more functionality.

Does anyone else get the feeling that they're set to deliberately over-fill? On so many pumps when I try to get to an even number it's impossible to get it right. I'd have the pump barely squeezed with just the slightest trickle coming out and it randomly jumps a cent. It'd be like : .93, .94, .96, .97, .98, .99, .01! :mad:

Now I have to put in another fivers worth and try again or leave it and have the shame of leaving them short a cent and hope they say nothing.

I used to just fill the thing and pay by credit card. Paying by card it doesn't really matter if it's €50.00 or €52.67, but then the garage has to pay merchant charges and makes less profit.

There's a station in Rochestown where you pre-pay for your petrol and then fill up which I found very handy but am never in Rochestown anymore. Just pay your €20 in store and the pump will stop once you've hit the amount. How difficult could it be to have that option on all pumps? How many choices do you have to make when filling up?

Q1 : Fuel Type
    a ) Diseasel.
    b ) Petroleum.
    c ) Fancy Petroleum (which probably makes sod all difference).
    d ) Etc.

Q2 : Fill Mode
    a ) Fill a set amount.
    b ) Manual fill.

Q3 : Payment
    a ) Pay by card at pump.
    b ) Pay in store.

I'm sure one of god's most loved children would still manage to mess it up, but there's always a percentage that will do that anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I used to just fill the thing and pay by credit card. Paying by card it doesn't really matter if it's €50.00 or €52.67, but then the garage has to pay merchant charges and makes less profit.

They get charged cash handling fees by the banks too. Currently AIB change .45% on lodging notes and 2% on coins. Plus, less cash on premises or in transit to the bank reduces risk in regards to robbery. Any business worth their salt will be factoring both cash and card charges into their prices. I personally wouldn't inconvenience myself over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Why does every 'debate' on covid focus on the mortality rates and not the potential severe long term side effects?

I was thinking about doing a rant about petrol pumps. I know the perils or trying to make something idiot proof, but surely in 2020 we could have a bit more functionality.

Does anyone else get the feeling that they're set to deliberately over-fill? On so many pumps when I try to get to an even number it's impossible to get it right. I'd have the pump barely squeezed with just the slightest trickle coming out and it randomly jumps a cent. It'd be like : .93, .94, .96, .97, .98, .99, .01! :mad:

Now I have to put in another fivers worth and try again or leave it and have the shame of leaving them short a cent and hope they say nothing.

There's a station in Rochestown where you pre-pay for your petrol and then fill up which I found very handy but am never in Rochestown anymore. Just pay your €20 in store and the pump will stop once you've hit the amount. How difficult could it be to have that option on all pumps? How many choices do you have to make when filling up?

a ) Diseasel.
    b ) Petroleum.
    c ) Fancy Petroleum (which probably makes sod all difference).
    d ) Etc.

Q2 : Fill Mode
    a ) Fill a set amount.
    b ) Manual fill.

Q3 : Payment
    a ) Pay by card at pump.
    b ) Pay in store.

I'm sure one of god's most loved children would still manage to mess it up, but there's always a percentage that will do that anyway...

Paying before you fill your car doesn't really work if you are completely filling car

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Why does every

a ) Diseasel.

Very apt in a pandemic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Actually one of my little pleasures was putting in €20.03 of fuel and throwing a €20 over the counter. That's done away with now !

They talk about absolute bollix. Pointless discussions which often result in semi arguing, where their voices get louder and louder and higher pitched. They talk all evening (I can hear them in their living room from mine) and then they do it in bed. Last night he actually shouted her from another room, at gone midnight, and woke me up. Then over an hour of inane conversation. She was actually trying to sleep, I heard her shut down the conversation and stop answering, and at one point tell him she was going to sleep, then he'd pipe back up again. It's as if he thinks every thought he ever has in his head needs to be articulated? Total simpleton.

I have talked to them and they think I'm unreasonable. They think it's totally normal to want to chat in bed and that I have no right to demand they don't. I literally never heard the people who lived there before them. It was a total non-issue, I never once had trouble getting to sleep before these clowns moved in. I don't think they can comprehend how loud they are and how much I can hear.

Oh my god that is so frustrating. Everybody knows being kept awake is awful. Even if they don't think they're being loud the fact you have told them it keeps you awake should be enough for them to make an effort to lower those voices. So selfish and the guy sounds like a moron. I know you shouldn't have to but I recently bought a sleep machine to drown out noisy street noise and I find it amazing. I put on ocean sounds or thunderstorms and its really soothing. Ear plugs might also help but its the principle. Maybe try speaking with them one more time or be really mature and blare ACDC and scream along really loudly and if they complain you can say I was only singing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I left the baby swing on and now the cling on has decided to fall asleep on me so I'm stuck on the bed with her, listening to bird song on a loop and watching the empty chair swing in an Annabelle-esque fashion for the foreseeable.

I've a nice cuppa and a twirl beside me but if I open the twirl she will hear the plastic and wake up to beg. I think she's ready for solids!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

TA'd by colleagues throwing calendar invites my way and then getting shirty when I decline them DESPITE MY CALENDAR BEING OPEN AND SHOWING THAT I AM NOT AVAILABLE AT THAT TIME

• Advertisement

bitofabind wrote: »
    TA'd by colleagues throwing calendar invites my way and then getting shirty when I decline them DESPITE MY CALENDAR BEING OPEN AND SHOWING THAT I AM NOT AVAILABLE AT THAT TIME

I hate when people do that. A Ta of mine, and I'm not sure if I'm being unreasonable, is when someone calls me on Teams without messaging first to say - hey are you free for a chat? That's what I always do. Its a bit like someone just calling over to your house unannounced.
    Maybe this is standard but wrecks my head none the less. I purposely don't answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,427 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I hate when people do that. A Ta of mine, and I'm not sure if I'm being unreasonable, is when someone calls me on Teams without messaging first to say - hey are you free for a chat? That's what I always do. Its a bit like someone just calling over to your house unannounced.
    Maybe this is standard but wrecks my head none the less. I purposely don't answer.

This happens to me a lot and the worst part is that they launch off into some issue that they have and want your input as they assume that you know exactly what is going on in their heads.

They seem almost upset that you can't wave a magic wand and fix their issue there and then and don't seem to understand that, because they didn't IM you in first place to a). give you a heads up that they want a call and b). tell you what their issue is so you can do a quick bit of thinking/research before said call, you don't have all of the answers at the top of your head. I honestly belief they must think that one of the skills for my role is being psychic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

TA sink obnoxiously packed with cutlery, dishes,pots, glasses, plates and crusty porridge bowls, 95% of which not left there by me. dishwasher also full of dirty stuff but not put on...all this left nearly nothing clean in the presses to be used, no cups or spoons etc. dish purgatory.

also TA Eir are getting rid of webtext soon which was handy for when im too lazy/impatient to text with the phone. more quicker/satisfying to type at the speed of a laptop keyboard and you dont have fuucking autocorrect to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I was nearly taken out of it by a cyclist today in local town.
    To any cyclist who (rightly) complains about the danger of motorists to you, ask yourself if you are ever a danger to a pedestrian?
    I was across the middle divide of the street safely crossing when he came from my right from another street, taking the turn off on the other side of the white line nearly clipping me.
    I'm only sorry I didn't roar obseneties after him.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I just wouldn't pick up and would wait for the, "hey, are you free?" so I can tell them "No. Feel free to block something off in my calendar though, it's open".

Setting boundaries at work is so f-ing important.

Another TA, I've just had an email from some Type A new "Vice President of Customer Success" blah blah in our US office, who hasn't bothered to introduce herself to anyone and instead is sending emails around the org f-ing sh1t up. I got a "hey, can you please reach out to my US team members about how they handle partnership calls, they're doing an awesome job." Literally have to hold myself back from writing back, "hey Emily. I've been closing partnership deals here for four years now, you might have heard of my massive one last month with Y client" but realising that makes me sound like a giant arsehole and I'll deeply regret it. But just like, who the F are you mate?! You're here 5 minutes, are ya well like?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭bnt

A month ago, the managers in office gave everyone a Starbucks gift card as a little thank you, they said. I don't normally go to Starbucks, but today I had a little time and was near one, so I ordered a fancy coffee. Go to pay for it with the card ... the card was brand new, no credit on it at all. The level of incompetence in my office is stag-ger-ring. The coffee wasn't that great either, after I paid for it with my own money. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bitofabind wrote: »
    I just wouldn't pick up and would wait for the, "hey, are you free?" so I can tell them "No. Feel free to block something off in my calendar though, it's open".

Setting boundaries at work is so f-ing important.

Another TA, I've just had an email from some Type A new "Vice President of Customer Success" blah blah in our US office, who hasn't bothered to introduce herself to anyone and instead is sending emails around the org f-ing sh1t up. I got a "hey, can you please reach out to my US team members about how they handle partnership calls, they're doing an awesome job." Literally have to hold myself back from writing back, "hey Emily. I've been closing partnership deals here for four years now, you might have heard of my massive one last month with Y client" but realising that makes me sound like a giant arsehole and I'll deeply regret it. But just like, who the F are you mate?! You're here 5 minutes, are ya well like?

Wouldn't you love to reply to her...condescending much? Get over yourself love. I've closed more deals than you've had hot dinners you ****ing ass clown. Sincerely, bitofabind

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

bnt wrote: »
    A month ago, the managers in office gave everyone a Starbucks gift card as a little thank you, they said. I don't normally go to Starbucks, but today I had a little time and was near one, so I ordered a fancy coffee. Go to pay for it with the card ... the card was brand new, no credit on it at all. The level of incompetence in my office is stag-ger-ring. The coffee wasn't that great either, after I paid for it with my own money. :rolleyes:

We all got Tesco cards one year from an old boss at christmas. The value wasn't written on them, but we assumed they'd be €50. He made a big deal about giving them to us.

One of the women promptly went to use it to pay towards her weekly shopping that evening, only to discover that it was only a measly €5 voucher. I think she would have prefered that it was zero due to incompetence, rather then deliberately a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Maybe you can record Mr and Mrs Gob from your end and either email it to them or burn it on a cd and put it in their letterbox.
    If they realise how loud they really are and that you can hear everything they say they might put a sock in it in future.

TA people on telly talking about 'the current pandemic' no need to be quite so specific bum-brain. When was the last time we had a pandemic like? :mad:

• Advertisement

Maybe you can record Mr and Mrs Gob from your end and either email it to them or burn it on a cd and put it in their letterbox.
    If they realise how loud they really are and that you can hear everything they say they might put a sock in it in future.

TA people on telly talking about 'the current pandemic' no need to be quite so specific bum-brain. When was the last time we had a pandemic like? :mad:

I've ended up in bed after work trying to catch up on some sleep since I only got 6 hours last night. Had just got cosy, heating on, snuggled up in bed, just about to turn off the laptop and have a nap, and your man comes home and immediately starts talking on the phone.

I feel like I'm turning into a terrible person, the thoughts I have when I hear his stupid nasally Manchester accent, just droning on about absolute sh1te. What kind of person lives like this? It's like he can't ever just sit there and be quiet, read a book, whatever normal people do. If he's not rabbiting on to his girlfriend, he's on the phone. Morning, noon and night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement