Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

Advertisements "subtly" ramping up the "Stay at home" propaganda..

I mentioned a while back on thread about the annoyance of hearing doorbells on ads - how realistic they sounded, I almost used to think my own doorbell was ringing :pac:

Back then I think it was two companies or so using that particular prop - Argos, and Amazon, I think - now plenty of them are at it :mad:

#fuqstayingathome

And while I'm on about Ads, and propaganda I'll throw out a "controversial one" - the over representation of 'diverse' couples :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The way the British TV channels have been telling us to do nothing except watch the telly through the lockdowns. Not go for a walk or maybe take a break and do some reading or a new hobby, no: do not move from your sofa all day (you or your kids) is the message they have been putting across every chance they get :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

And while I'm on about Ads, and propaganda I'll throw out a "controversial one" - the over representation of 'diverse' couples

I've noticed this as well. The problem is if they don't, the professionally offended will be out with the usual faux outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

The way the British TV channels have been telling us to do nothing except watch the telly through the lockdowns. Not go for a walk or maybe take a break and do some reading or a new hobby, no: do not move from your sofa all day (you or your kids) is the message they have been putting across every chance they get :mad:

Rarely see advertisements any more as most of the things I watch is either recorded, on Netflix or YouTube. But I love watching Pawn Stars on History. But the ads are nuts, mostly about cheap cremations.

But from the dawn of time commercial breaks means my parents telling me to make them tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

joeguevara wrote: »

But from the dawn of time commercial breaks means my parents telling me to make them tea.

Haha that was the same in our house. It was a challenge to get it made and back before the programme started again but now you could nearly make dinner the ads are so long :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Adverts that use the phrase 'first to see will buy'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

Orla Kiely making a living off the back of ONE design. Pattern is perfectly nice but what the f***?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Be right back

Getting the wrong food from a takeaway and then unable to contact them to correct it!

optogirl wrote: »
    Orla Kiely making a living off the back of ONE design. Pattern is perfectly nice but what the f***?

I hate the pattern and can never understand what the attraction is to it ,I feel it's people just wanting designer stuff but each to their own.

TA I'm wide awake since 6.30 am, have loads to do but still in bed, very annoyed with myself.

Don't normally listen to the radio, but having seen the thread on Leo in CA IMHO yesterday, I thought I'd tune in and tune on to RTE Radio 1 to see what the man who has the 'pulse of the nation' tubs had to say about it.

Was pretty decent fare with some trad music, and some amateur dramatic old type Irish storytelling going on, but nowt about Leo, or no sign of Ryan.

Figured I must have tuned into the wrong station so I slid the dial to the right - this must've been around close to 10 0'clock; and shortly after it dawned on me it was Sunday, not Monday :pac:

Turns out I was on RTE1 to begin with, and tuned into 2fm - the Louise McSharry show - and what were the topics: Some bloke who's a transsexual,
    telling us how great she is cos she stood up for John Legend's bird on Twitter, and something about Kim bloody Kardashian. :D

EDIT non-binary, not transsexual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭donegal_man

The ad telling us how to recognise the symptoms of Covid19. Not the ad per se, but the horribly patronising tone of the voice over as well as the creepy background music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Dial Hard wrote: »
    My housemate's wonderment at how much chocolate "we're" getting through.

I don't eat chocolate.

Used to TA me when I was a child when parents would tell all of us to stop acting up even when it was only one of us. Eg. " Would yez all cop on and quieten down" when it was just my noisy sister being loud.

Now find myself doing it to my kids :o

optogirl wrote: »
    Yes and she didn't even come up with it herself either. She bought that design off another artist.

TAd that I didn't get to sleep until daft o'clock last night because of all the banging.
    and the fireworks were quite annoying too. Boom Boom! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bredabe

A friend who has a job she can coast through and there so long cant be sacked, parents paid for most of her/their house, giving out about ppl I don't know who don't do what she tells them, ie not watching the same netflicks series she is.

I get when ppl have their lives settled these things are annoying, but STFU or FO, some of us have to scramble to get through each day!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Used to TA me when I was a child when parents would tell all of us to stop acting up even when it was only one of us. Eg. " Would yez all cop on and quieten down" when it was just my noisy sister being loud.

Now find myself doing it to my kids :o

Have you used the "You haven't just let me down....." line.

TA the TV is not in standby mode & I have to get off couch to turn it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bredabe

The wind and full moon last night drove the dog mad and woke me up a handful of times last night, I needed to be up early this am to catch up on the work I couldn't get done yes over the great paint fiasco. So now I'm 2 hours behind where I should be and well on my way to an allergy attack.

Have to sit in a cold room to let the paint smell out to lessen the impact of the allergenic stimulus, But the thing that most TA is that I need to buy black jog bottoms and the online prices are prohibitive and the usual sources cant sell them to me!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I just saw someone on Facebook refer to themselves as a "fully qualified juice therapist". What the fcuk and qualified by whom, exactly???

When you get home and realise the shop assistant has diddled you but it is a quite small amount of money so if you go back to tell them about it now you will come across like a stingey loon.

Always check your change at the till they always say but be honest, who does that in real life? You bung it straight in your pocket.
    If I started checking my change at the till would it hurt the shop assistant's feelings I wonder? They check my banknotes with the magic pen so maybe turnabout is fair-play.

I just saw someone on Facebook refer to themselves as a "fully qualified juice therapist". What the fcuk and qualified by whom, exactly???
    The Man from Del Monte of course :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

When you get home and realise the shop assistant has diddled you but it is a quite small amount of money so if you go back to tell them about it now you will come across like a stingey loon.

Always check your change at the till they always say but be honest, who does that in real life? You bung it straight in your pocket.
    If I started checking my change at the till would it hurt the shop assistant's feelings I wonder? They check my banknotes with the magic pen so maybe turnabout is fair-play.

I always pack my groceries, walk to one side and check my receipt. I find that's a bigger problem that incorrect change (I mostly pay by card anyway) i.e. multi-buy discounts not passed on etc. Nothing worse than not discovering this until you get home as the incentive to go back is severely diminished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I always pack my groceries, walk to one side and check my receipt. I find that's a bigger problem that incorrect change (I mostly pay by card anyway) i.e. multi-buy discounts not passed on etc. Nothing worse than not discovering this until you get home as the incentive to go back is severely diminished.

Supervalu the worst culprits by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Grown adults thinking Christmas makes it ok to refer to sleepwear as "jammies". Eugh.

Bredabe wrote: »
    A friend who has a job she can coast through and there so long cant be sacked, parents paid for most of her/their house, giving out about ppl I don't know who don't do what she tells them, ie not watching the same netflicks series she is.

I get when ppl have their lives settled these things are annoying, but STFU or FO, some of us have to scramble to get through each day!
    You should introduce her to my friend who complains about the fact that his dad used his first time buyers grant to purchase one of the many houses that he will bequeath to him when he dies. I just can't stop being TAd about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Feel like I was profiled by gardaí at a checkpoint earlier.

They were breathalyzing and testing for drugs in the system, and I was fully compliant, although ****ting it as I had a few cans during the live sport yesterday evening (like I imagine a sizeable chunk of the country).

Passed both tests anyway thankfully, but I got the impression that he was keen to "do" me for something. Full inspection of the car, checking my tax discs etc. Had me standing on the side of the road for ten minutes as the swab test for the presence of cocaine etc was processed (never done any drugs in my life so knew I was okay). I'm surprised he didn't get out a measuring tape to see if I was .1 metre outside of my 5KM zone. And not one other car had to conduct a test in the time I was there.

Now I am a 32 male so probably fall into the age category of drivers who do break the law that way, but I can't help feeling if I was ten years older, not wearing a tracksuit or a woman, I wouldn't have been subjected to such scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Antares35 wrote: »
    Grown adults thinking Christmas makes it ok to refer to sleepwear as "jammies". Eugh.

Losers.

It's jim-jams, ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

TA'd I have been sick for a week and thought I was getting better but feel worse today than I have since last Sunday.

This is not a time to live alone :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Probably printed up their own 'qualifications' like Monica, in Friends.

Probably printed up their own 'qualifications' like Monica, in Friends.

Studied at the University of Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Antares35 wrote: »
    Studied at the University of Life.

Full time Mad Bastard

• Advertisement

dubstarr wrote: »
    Full time Mad Bastard

Rest with the angles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement