Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Bloody neighbours again....trying to relax and read my book before going to sleep and the fella is having a ridiculously loud phone conversation. He's literally nearly shouting. SO loud and high pitched. I said to him again the other day and he's convinced he's not doing anything wrong and says he's allowed to speak in his own flat. Like how do you go about explaining the concept of an 'indoor voice' to a grown adult? Who doesn't naturally try to keep their voice low and soft at/after midnight if they live in a flat?

It's not only about the sleep, it's just so draining not being able to do something as normal as read in bed. I need to read to get tired enough and relaxed enough to sleep and literally can't even focus on my book because I can hear every word of the conversation and can't tune it out. It's like he's in the same room, that's how bad it is. I have noise cancelling headphones on right now and I can still hear him. I have to put a fan on every night to fall asleep and I can STILL hear him over it. I feel like sending him an invoice to cover the electricity to run the fan to attempt to drown out his stupid voice every single night.

I can and will move out of here but how do people cope with this sh1t in places they own? I think I'd have a meltdown if I bought a lovely flat and ended up living next to some loudmouth. Perhaps rural living is the only way to go?

What type of noise cancelling headphones allow you to hear your neighbour in a different flat? Have a pair of Bose and can't hear a test of me screaming at full blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Bloody neighbours again....trying to relax and read my book before going to sleep and the fella is having a ridiculously loud phone conversation. He's literally nearly shouting. SO loud and high pitched. I said to him again the other day and he's convinced he's not doing anything wrong and says he's allowed to speak in his own flat. Like how do you go about explaining the concept of an 'indoor voice' to a grown adult? Who doesn't naturally try to keep their voice low and soft at/after midnight if they live in a flat?

It's not only about the sleep, it's just so draining not being able to do something as normal as read in bed. I need to read to get tired enough and relaxed enough to sleep and literally can't even focus on my book because I can hear every word of the conversation and can't tune it out. It's like he's in the same room, that's how bad it is. I have noise cancelling headphones on right now and I can still hear him. I have to put a fan on every night to fall asleep and I can STILL hear him over it. I feel like sending him an invoice to cover the electricity to run the fan to attempt to drown out his stupid voice every single night.

I can and will move out of here but how do people cope with this sh1t in places they own? I think I'd have a meltdown if I bought a lovely flat and ended up living next to some loudmouth. Perhaps rural living is the only way to go?

I live in a council flat complex and I'm actually the opposite, noise rows, loud music and stuff puts me asleep. I remember staying with my last girlfriend who lived in a town in the country. There was a traveller dispute and the place was in uproar, I fell asleep, and they couldn't understand it. She explained the next day what went on, as I had conked out and missed everything

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You've tried talking to them about this problem.
    It's time to go to war with very loud radio early in the morning.
    Your situation is miserable anyway, would it get worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

joeguevara wrote: »
    What type of noise cancelling headphones allow you to hear your neighbour in a different flat? Have a pair of Bose and can't hear a test of me screaming at full blast.

They're cheap ones in fairness - Bose are a bit too expensive for me. I can't sleep with them on though so they don't help with the biggest issue anyway. :(

You've tried talking to them about this problem.
    It's time to go to war with very loud radio early in the morning.
    Your situation is miserable anyway, would it get worse?

It could, because they could then get petty about stuff like giving me my parcels when the postman delivers them to the wrong flat. But it would give me great satisfaction to force them to work on 3-4 hours' sleep, like they do to me. Hmm, decisions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Shoddy construction standards more than a noisy neighbor..

I'd be looking for somewhere else to live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Yet another moany Woke/Gender/Snowflake thread in After Hours. This place used to be fun but now it is conforming to the stereotype that as people get older they get crankier and more stuck in their ways. Thankfully I recently made the correct decision to spend less time here.

Yes I realise I am moaning about moany threads.

shoddy construction standards - forgive me, but "reading between lines" (though it wasn't said :o) it sounds almost like it's just a recent thing vis poor insulation.

Any apt I've ever been in, it's always been rubbish - some being 'slightly' better regards soundproofing etc than others, but still poor.

Was talking to an Eastern European (Lithuanian/Polish I think) , and apparently over there standards are much higher - anecdotal I know.

It's even more galling when every week one hears about new rules/regulations for farmers etc to adhere to, and all the sh1t/time/money/paperwork that goes with it. A lot of them good folks :D on Kildare Street are landlords I believe. :rolleyes:

And, the hassle 'ordinary' landlords have to go through in order to lease to Council.... But nothing about decent soundproofing in them :pac:... Money making 'energy efficiency' schemes - some crap to do with 'ventilation' + BER efficency rating type measures :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But, most of us who live in apartments can scarcely take a leak without at least one other neighbour being able to hear.

It's a two sided coin - those who don't give a ****, and those who are 'walking on eggshells' in their own home :(:(

"Peaceful Enjoyment" MY BLOODY ASS :mad: * :mad:

My TA - above passage too long, so TA that my TA would make this even longer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I'm might be off the mark here.But have you gone to the Dr's and got your own ears checked out.
    Maybe you have overly sensitive hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

But, most of us who live in apartments can scarcely take a leak without at least one other neighbour being able to hear.

It's a two sided coin - those who don't give a ****, and those who are 'walking on eggshells' in their own home :(:(

"Peaceful Enjoyment" MY BLOODY ASS :mad: * :mad:

(

In my experience here in a row of cottages the owner occupiers, do as they please with disregard for impact on neighbours renting. They are small issues but when it comes to sound it can be difficult. Their living area backs on to my bedroom and I think they play indoor basketball at some point each day which can be late in the evening too.:(

I'm the one usually walking on the eggshells :o

• Advertisement

In my experience here in a row of cottages the owner occupiers, do as they please with disregard for impact on neighbours renting. They are small issues but when it comes to sound it can be difficult. Their living area backs on to my bedroom and I think they play indoor basketball at some point each day which can be late in the evening too.:(

I'm the one usually walking on the eggshells :o

:( Sorry to hear about that J J

Me; I like to 'keep my own hours' :pac:, but nonetheless nothing loud re music etc... when I'm up late, or any time really - no parties ever, or loud music.

'Eggshells' :(:( - know all about 'em

Neighbour (beside) really hates any noise at any time.. Almost every day he's doing like a 'tap tap tap' - sounds like he's hitting a stick off his floorboards, to 'convey his ire' as it were..

Worse too - Once I got a 'visit' from them 'Peace Protectors' - Instigated by neighbour, but they came after me. :( :mad:

Could say more, but best leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

It could, because they could then get petty about stuff like giving me my parcels when the postman delivers them to the wrong flat. But it would give me great satisfaction to force them to work on 3-4 hours' sleep, like they do to me. Hmm, decisions!

I would advise against it. Your satisfaction will be short lived and you'll regret it I imagine. You'd just be giving them ammunition and you'd lose the higher ground. I learnt this the incredibly hard way recently. I lost my cool in an argument and smashed a vase and that one gesture has been lorded over me since and used as justification for way worse behaviour from him. Anyway, I digress. I just think you'd be giving them licence to be even louder and it wont get the results you want.
    They sound like ignorant assholes tbh. I can't believe they continue to do this after you've calmly explained to them that its disturbing your sleep. Unbelievable behaviour.

:( Sorry to hear about that J J

Me; I like to 'keep my own hours' :pac:, but nonetheless nothing loud re music etc... when I'm up late, or any time really - no parties ever, or loud music.

'Eggshells' :(:( - know all about 'em

Neighbour (beside) really hates any noise at any time.. Almost every day he's doing like a 'tap tap tap' - sounds like he's hitting a stick off his floorboards, to 'convey his ire' as it were..

Worse too - Once I got a 'visit' from them 'Peace Protectors' - Instigated by neighbour, but they came after me. :( :mad:

Could say more, but best leave it at that.

Sounds similar so if I'm right!! I'd be very conscious all the time and I'm probably too quiet ha ha but I guess house party time it ain't.

There was a few raps back on the wall today so hopeful a sublte hint may have been received but maybe not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Yet another moany Woke/Gender/Snowflake thread in After Hours. This place used to be fun but now it is conforming to the stereotype that as people get older they get crankier and more stuck in their ways. Thankfully I recently made the correct decision to spend less time here.

Yes I realise I am moaning about moany threads.

I would agree that there are some still stuck in their ways, but boards to me is like an old stew, but fu¢k a few herbs and a bucket load of spices into the stew and its quick enough stir some of the fu¢kers up.
    The above is an example, I just changed the word posters to fu¢kers and now, there are looking at this going, who is that fu¢ker calling a fu¢ker.
    Whoa, mission accomplished already. I must admit I'm sh¡t hot.
    Aw fu©k just for you lot ill accept the adulation

lawred2 wrote: »
    Shoddy construction standards more than a noisy neighbor..

I'd be looking for somewhere else to live

It's a bit of both. Another couple lived there before they moved in and I barely even ever noticed them. Never once had any issue with going to bed when I wanted to. When the woman in the couple is talking on the phone, it just sounds like muffled noise.

He is just an obnoxiously loud person, I think. Most people would instinctively just know that you don't shout someone from another room at 1am on a Tuesday when you live in flat in an old building, or talk loudly late into the night, and I think if someone has got to the age of 30 or whatever he is without understanding that, there's little hope they'll ever 'get it'.

dubstarr wrote: »
    I'm might be off the mark here.But have you gone to the Dr's and got your own ears checked out.
    Maybe you have overly sensitive hearing.

There's no such thing as overly sensitive hearing.

If anything, I have worse than average hearing because I get really bad impacted wax (sorry for the TMI).

The flat is on quite a busy street and I generally sleep through all of the city street noise (drunk people, cars beeping, police helicopter) but I think most people would find it impossible to sleep through a very loud, completely audible conversation two feet from where they're lying in bed. Most people would only shout like that if they were having a serious argument or something was wrong - this guy just has absolutely no concept of an appropriate speaking volume, at all. :(

Porklife wrote: »
    I would advise against it. Your satisfaction will be short lived and you'll regret it I imagine. You'd just be giving them ammunition and you'd lose the higher ground. I learnt this the incredibly hard way recently. I lost my cool in an argument and smashed a vase and that one gesture has been lorded over me since and used as justification for way worse behaviour from him. Anyway, I digress. I just think you'd be giving them licence to be even louder and it wont get the results you want.
    They sound like ignorant assholes tbh. I can't believe they continue to do this after you've calmly explained to them that its disturbing your sleep. Unbelievable behaviour.

Yeah, I actually do agree with this. I don't want to lose the higher ground.

I think they genuinely believe I'm being over sensitive and complaining about every last thing because I've said it to them 2-3 times this year. They don't seem to understand that this had been bothering me for months before I even said anything - I had already gone through the processes of trying white noise, trying to get to sleep before they went to bed so they weren't stopping me falling asleep (didn't work because he was often so loud he'd wake me up), all those obvious things, BEFORE I approached them. I think a lot of people don't realise that most people will only say something when things are already bad. Most people don't *want* conflict and awkward conversations.

They also probably don't realise how much I and the other neighbours go out of our way to be quiet. They think because they can't hear us that we can't hear them. They probably believe that the soundproofing is better than it is, when actually, we're just normal, considerate people and not ignorant muppets. :rolleyes:

Not wanting to be disagreeable :D:( plus I don't know if it's 'recognized' by Medical Profession; but I do think there's something there re 'over sensitive hearing' (for want of a better expression).

I reckon some folks are maybe fearful in their pad, and their surroundings in general - 'senses working overtime' as it were, and perhaps poor eyesight; or a combo of both could be a contributory factor.. Esp those that live alone, and maybe have been violated/invaded etc in the past..

Just my humble :)

Not wanting to be disagreeable :D:( plus I don't know if it's 'recognized' by Medical Profession; but I do think there's something there re 'over sensitive hearing' (for want of a better expression).

I reckon some folks are maybe fearful in their pad, and their surroundings in general - 'senses working overtime' as it were, and perhaps poor eyesight; or a combo of both could be a contributory factor.. Esp those that live alone, and maybe have been violated/invaded etc in the past..

Just my humble :)

I went virtually deaf this week due to impacted wax (apologies for TMI as per).

I also do live alone so it can be disconcerting when you're not hearing things or "think' you hear things etc. Thankfully I've been removed ha ha from the situation and hearing has been restored.

People should sure just try to be respectful and also flexible on the other side. Not worth getting into if possible as surface-level even good relationships with neighbours are definitely prefereable.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Americanisms

None of the female presenters on Sky Sports News are hot anymore (even Hayley Mcqueen is starting to look worse for wear)

Oh well, at least it makes it a much easier decision not to watch the mostly shoddy production of the channel

• Advertisement

I went virtually deaf this week due to impacted wax (apologies for TMI as per).

I also do live alone so it can be disconcerting when you're not hearing things or "think' you hear things etc. Thankfully I've been removed ha ha from the situation and hearing has been restored.

People should sure just try to be respectful and also flexible on the other side. Not worth getting into if possible as surface-level even good relationships with neighbours are definitely prefereable.

I think my hearing (which used to be A 1) has now gone the 'inverse' of overly sensitive - getting deaf, as a "defence mechanism" :pac:

Maybe it's just trapped water, or summit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

People please if you are going to walk your dog be prepared to pick up the you know what.
    It is like a minefield round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

People crossing the road please look BOTH ways. That could have been a nasty accident if I didn’t stop in time

Electric 'Ninja' cars will be responsible for a lot of 'incidents' "going forward" .

Still, more NGOs etc to 'educate' people on these soundless 'killing machines' :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

My weekend routine lately has been;

- Go to work at 8am
    - Finish at 12pm
    - Go home
    - Run a bath
    - Watch something on the tablet while I'm in said bath.

TA that my ****ing tablet didn't charge properly and now I have to use the little screen on my phone to watch anything.

1st world problems I know. That's what makes it trivial, I guess

TA’d by the zombie-like MORONS who seem to think that lockdown means you’re supposed to walk in the middle of the ****ing road of the housing estate and not on the perfectly good foodpath. Waiting till you get right up behind them before shuffling casually out of the way. Sorely tempted to run one of these zombies over.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

People please if you are going to walk your dog be prepared to pick up the you know what.
    It is like a minefield round here.

And if you do pick it up, please do not then throw the bag just anywhere. Dispose of it properly. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

There's no such thing as overly sensitive hearing.

If anything, I have worse than average hearing because I get really bad impacted wax (sorry for the TMI).

The flat is on quite a busy street and I generally sleep through all of the city street noise (drunk people, cars beeping, police helicopter) but I think most people would find it impossible to sleep through a very loud, completely audible conversation two feet from where they're lying in bed. Most people would only shout like that if they were having a serious argument or something was wrong - this guy just has absolutely no concept of an appropriate speaking volume, at all. :(

Im deaf in one ear and suffer from tinnitus. And sometimes my hearing is overly sensitive to certain sounds.So thats why i suggested it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Electric 'Ninja' cars will be responsible for a lot of 'incidents' "going forward" .

Still, more NGOs etc to 'educate' people on these soundless 'killing machines' :cool:
    There's an appeal from the Irish Guide Dogs to turn on the noise making machine on the electric cars.
    It's making the work of the dogs more difficult and it's an obvious problem for the dog owners.

My TA, that Burger King earlier was a bad idea.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    There's an appeal from the Irish Guide Dogs to turn on the noise making machine on the electric cars.
    It's making the work of the dogs more difficult and it's an obvious problem for the dog owners.

My TA, that Burger King earlier was a bad idea.

Why was it a bad idea?!

I tried to get a md's last night but I had to turn back cause of the queues!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement