Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Autosport wrote: »
    Dizziness and nausea :(
    TA under the weather in this crap weather.

Feel better. Tis a sho*te day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Meditation/mindfulness/yoga/breathing, etc. Not in general, they have their place and can be very helpful. However, they seem to be treated as the panacea to resolve everyone's problems. Self appointed experts who suggest them as if they were a great novelty no one had ever thought of before. Great, yes, they can help you cope, but if you're looking for concrete advice on how to tackle a big problem and someone tells you to try meditation etc, well, that pisses me right off. My house is on fire, I ask for concrete help and I'm told "Have you ever considered breathing?"... don't be shocked if I snap. How about calling the fire brigade as my phone has melted in the blaze, or finding a ladder for me or helping me throw buckets of water at the flames, etc? Even telling me where the hose would be a start.

Which reminds me, I once went to a time management course. They asked us if we had questions, so I asked for tips on how to stop procrastinating. The enlightened answer I got was, "Do things right away!". YOU DON'T SAY!!! REALLY?! Why didn't anyone ever think of that before?!? What's next, "Calm down" and "Don't be so glum" for anger management and depression?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I'm anon-drinker. Not rabbibly anti-drink, and not a recovering alcoholic or problem drinker. As a depression sufferer I made the decision to not drink as it can cause me to spiral downwards. For sure, there are times when a few drinks have indeed done me good, but on balance, it's best avoided. That's generally not something I share, though, as its no-one's business. Wine gives me migraine. That bit of info I've no problem sharing. Today I poured someone a glass of red. "Are you having one?"
    "No, wine gives me migraine, as you know"
    "It might do you good"
    "Huh? It makes me really Ill. How is that doing me good?"
    "A small one?"
    "A small one will leave me in bed in a dark room in agony, possibly for days "
    "You should try it"
    "WHY THE HELL WOULD I WANT ANY OF SOMETHING THAT MAKES ME REALLY ILL?"

TA, drinkers' seeming incomprehension and total disrespect for another adult's reasons for not consuming alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I'm anon-drinker. Not rabbibly anti-drink, and not a recovering alcoholic or problem drinker. As a depression sufferer I made the decision to not drink as it can cause me to spiral downwards. For sure, there are times when a few drinks have indeed done me good, but on balance, it's best avoided. That's generally not something I share, though, as its no-one's business. Wine gives me migraine. That bit of info I've no problem sharing. Today I poured someone a glass of red. "Are you having one?"
    "It might do you good"
    "A small one?"
    "You should try it"

TA, drinkers' seeming incomprehension and total disrespect for another adult's reasons for not consuming alcohol.

That post typifies Ireland’s attitude to alcoholic drink

If I’m gulling back drink, you have to do the same, and you are weak if you don’t.

Solution

Fcukke off..... if you want to gannet down drink -fine.... go right ahead.
    No problem, away you go.

However.

Buddy, I don’t ,just want to drink at MY speed, you do what you like, it I’m not here to go head to head with you.

M’kay.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Vertigo :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

New Home wrote: »
    Meditation/mindfulness/yoga/breathing, etc. Not in general, they have their place and can be very helpful. However, they seem to be treated as the panacea to resolve everyone's problems. Self appointef experts who suggest them as if they were a great novelty no one had ever thought of before. Great, yes, they can help you cope, but if you're looking for concrete advice on how to tackle a big problem and someone tells you to try meditation etc, well, that pisses me right off. My house is on fire, I ask for concrete help and I'm told "Have you ever considered breathing?"... don't be shocked if I snap. How about calling the fire brigade as my phone has melted in the blaze, or finding a ladder for me or helping me throw buckets of water at the flames, etc? Even telling me where the hose would be a start.

Which reminds me, I once went to a time management course. They asked us if we had questions, so I asked for tips on how to stop procrastinating. The enlightened answer I got was, "Do things right away!". YOU DON'T SAY!!! REALLY?! Why didn't anyone ever think of that before?!? What's mext, "Calm down" and "Don't be so glum" for anger manahement and depression?!?

Ha that reminds me I did a course before online about time management and when my boss asked me how it went I had to sheepishly admit that I'd run out of time to complete it. Mortified.

TA feeling sick and seedy all day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Autosport wrote: »
    Vertigo :(
    Have you tried meditation? Or having a drink? :pac:

(Sorry for making light of it, Autosport, vertigo is a bitch)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

New Home wrote: »
    Have you tried meditation? Or having a drink? :pac:

(Sorry for making light of it, Autosport, vertigo is a bitch)

Can you drink while doing a meditation ;):D

I do a meditation anyway and it actually helped me stay calm while everything was dizzy this morning well the breathing part :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Sardonicat wrote: »
    "It might do you good"
    "A small one?"
    "You should try it"

A friend of mine decided to give up drink a few years ago, I have never asked him why as its none of my business, but my guess is that he realised that he wasn't getting enjoyment from it anymore, and was finding it more difficult to handle hangovers. Most people welcomed this decision as he was instantly happier and healthier, and life/ social events continued as normal.

But a small number of people he knew (not mutual friends) just couldn't let it go, constantly harassing him about why he wouldn't drink, trying to buy him drink, and then eventually stopping the invites to certain nights out 'if they were going on a proper session.'

I love a few beers, but I just don't get how grown adults can't mind their own fcuking business on another persons decision not to drink. Are they that boring and insecure that they can't be in the company of someone who isn't drinking their face off?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Used to work with a fella and he'd always ask "are you going for pints the weekend" anytime I said no he'd be amazed and reply with "sure what else is there to do on weekends". I found it kind of sad, I've hobbies andsoend much of the week in work I want to spend my free at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Don't have half as much wine as I had planned to drink this evening

One of my dogs will take a mouth full of dog nuts, spit them out onto the floor and walk away. As soon I start to pick them up, she'll come running full speed at me and start to eat them like why!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Corro, Eastenders and Emmerdale have gotten so stupid with really daft, over the top storylines. They are going more like the American style of soap opera which is tacky as hell.
    If anyone remembers Crossroads, El Dorado, Sons and Daughters: they were old soaps that get a lot of stick for being really bad, I believe the likes of Corro has now dipped below those shows in terms of storylines and acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I was having problems in understanding the material I needed for the assessment due tomorrow,
    I tried every way I could think of to get a grip on the material, figured out I needed to see a model as this would show me what the words meant in context.
    I email the lecturer to ask where I could find one, he tells me I'm having a crisis and I should just follow the very clear directions on the brief!:mad::mad::mad:

Am a grown-up and when I say it's a jargon issue that that's what it is!

I then asked my class online, they told me to trust I knew what I was doing!

Would only have been more annoying or frustrating if I had been told it was bc of my dyslexia.
    TATATATATATATATATATATA

It's bc of my memory, not my dyslexia!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Is there any happy people on this tread, or do I have to go back cooking a cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ok this one, I have not decided what it is that annoys me about it most.

Mícheál Lehane Poltictal Correspondent RTE News.

Yer man with the 1930's/1940's glasses, and the Kerry head on him.

What is the point of him?

Today for example. They just get him to summarise all the events, that they have already detailed leading up to his piece.

Catriona Perry asks has he any other details?

But he never has any other details! They were already covered. So at best poor Mícheál is standing in front of Government Buildings speculating - i.e. making things up.
    Could, might, maybes, we don't know...

It annoys me. Then I think is RTE at fault? Should Mícheál give his little spiel first before the listing of events - so he would not look like such a spare wheel?

Does poor auld Mícheál like awake at night thinking.... what sort of guff with I have to come up with before my question marks today?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Corro, Eastenders and Emmerdale have gotten so stupid with really daft, over the top storylines. They are going more like the American style of soap opera which is tacky as hell.
    If anyone remembers Crossroads, El Dorado, Sons and Daughters: they were old soaps that get a lot of stick for being really bad, I believe the likes of Corro has now dipped below those shows in terms of storylines and acting.

Wasn't El Dorado the one with the thick Irish guy running around doing menial jobs for his English betters? I am TA'd just thinking about that programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Sons and Daughters, Bloody Hell I had forgotten about that! Now the cheesy theme tune is stuck in my head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I cleaned a work surface in my kitchen.Got rid of all the crap off it.I have a chopping board there.
    And everyone I go over oh has moved it and it's filled with crap.

It's like he sees an empty space and just has to fill it.

TA related to the new trends in listing things:

"we make cakes, we make cookies, we make pastries, we make pies......."
    What's wrong with "we make cakes, cookies, pastries and pies" - get to the point - I don't have time to listen to your waffling.

Often with a sing-songy delivery, with the stress on the noun: we make cakes, we make cookies, we make pastries, we make pies......."

Very trivial; very annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

TA those situations where you do or say something expecting a positive outcome for everyone, but in the end nothing is achieved and everyone is left frustrated to the point where you wish you hadn't bothered.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Wasn't El Dorado the one with the thick Irish guy running around doing menial jobs for his English betters? I am TA'd just thinking about that programme.
    The one set in Spain. It followed the lives of a number of brits who had moved out there. It only lasted a year ot two I think.

A friend of mine decided to give up drink a few years ago, I have never asked him why as its none of my business, but my guess is that he realised that he wasn't getting enjoyment from it anymore, and was finding it more difficult to handle hangovers. Most people welcomed this decision as he was instantly happier and healthier, and life/ social events continued as normal.

But a small number of people he knew (not mutual friends) just couldn't let it go, constantly harassing him about why he wouldn't drink, trying to buy him drink, and then eventually stopping the invites to certain nights out 'if they were going on a proper session.'

I love a few beers, but I just don't get how grown adults can't mind their own fcuking business on another persons decision not to drink. Are they that boring and insecure that they can't be in the company of someone who isn't drinking their face off?

It is hard enough trying to quit drink without some muppet trying to twist your arm get you back on it all the time.
    TA why do we keep arsehole friends around that we should have given the cold shoulder to years ago? People that use you and make you feel like crap and you still treat them nice as pie.
    I am guilty of it myself and I think a lot of us Irish are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,910 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

My routine has become ,around 11am I grab a coffee and go through emails. If I see one from boards about a thread or forum I followed I'd click and browse delete as appropriate,. Now the emails keep going to the promotions tab and no matter how many times I change labels it keeps doing it .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It is hard enough trying to quit drink without some muppet trying to twist your arm get you back on it all the time.
    TA why do we keep arsehole friends around that we should have given the cold shoulder to years ago? People that use you and make you feel like crap and you still treat them nice as pie.
    I am guilty of it myself and I think a lot of us Irish are too.

I remember one of the few times I tried to give up smoking, one of my mothers friends returned from a holiday in Spain and handed a carton of 200 cigarettes for me, ah well :( will try after that lot.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

TA when I is ruminating over something stupid I said earlier on to someone I met out and about, or on phone, or summit like that, and I feel like talking to myself; either about nowt in particular - just to take my mind off my perceived idiocy, or to go full on and berate myself :pac: :o

But then I realise I live in a sh1tty apt with cardboard effin walls :mad:

All apartments; no matter how tasty they look inside are sh1tty if they have FKIN CARDBOARD EFFIN walls :( :mad:

Next time I'm walking around Supamarket with mask on, I might vent. Whatever the atmosphere / ambience / hubbub / atmosphere with this rainy weather, or whatever, one feels that one can engage in a good bout of verbal 'self flaggelation' :P in those busy, yet somewhat safe environs, as long as "reasonable precautions" are taken ie talk to oneself 'on the move' ; or when 'static' - provided no one is close by :pac: :D

On the move on the street is good too, esp if it's raining. About the only good "upside" to them masks imo :)

I remember one of the few times I tried to give up smoking, one of my mothers friends returned from a holiday in Spain and handed a carton of 200 cigarettes for me, ah well :( will try after that lot.
    I had that experience myself quitting.
    People that had never offered you a ciggie in their life were suddenly trying to push them on you constantly, then 'oh sorry you are quitting aren't you? I forgot'.
    Smokers hate to see other smokers kicking the habit. They know it is bad for them and is all the time becoming a more anti-social habit but I think they have the mindset 'sure it'll be grand if we are all in it together'. Safety in numbers makes them feel less guilty about it.

Also nobody wants to be the last smoker left in the group, going out in the cold and rain for a ciggie when all the crack is inside.

TA crying like a big baby at sad tv shows and films lately. My da would have royally clattered me.

People not washing cups,plates etc properly and especially glasses. I get so annoyed at it

PsychoPete wrote: »
    People not washing cups,plates etc properly and especially glasses. I get so annoyed at it

People; when you make them a sandwich, or something hot to eat; when finished, they then proceed to make half a shape to dispose of the leftovers in the bin. Not too bad, at least that shows a bit of gratitude/consideration :)

But then, they go and leave the dishes in the sink with about 2 tablespoons, or half a cupful's worth of food/crusts etc.. :eek:

I'm thinking WTF, "Do you think I'm gonna just force that food down plughole :cool: - Why didn't you just leave it beside the ruddy sink and not in it ?!!?? :D:( :mad:

• Advertisement

People loading the dishwasher wrong and very inefficiently :mad: grrrr!
    You have to take it all out again and do it properly.
    Jusy leave it alone if you ain't gonna do it right :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement