Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Porklife wrote: »
    Haha...I have an auntie who is exactly like this. She lives in a small rural town and stands at the window peeping through the curtains commenting on every passerby. There goes Paddy McManus..drunk again no doubt, you know his wife ran off to England and he hasn't left the pub since. Oh look at Bridy there with a new coat, it's a wonder she has time to go clothes shopping with all her gentleman callers, you know her husband was a gambler who ran off with her sister. It's never good news either like there goes Mary and her husband, what a lovely couple, must send them a nice Christmas card! You can't swing a cat for all the misery in her house. Worst part is she's first to mass every Sunday smiling and waving to all and sundry....oh hello Bridy, love the coat, is it new?

TA hypocrites and double ta if they're religious hypocrites who think they're going straight to the pearly gates beaming like sacred virgins.
    You will never have to turn on the television set when you visit her, it is like having your own personal soap opera.
    Speaking of... Just when I thought Corro couldn't get any more ludicrous and over the top. Last night really took the biscuit. Took the whole Bolands factory, for fecks sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,481 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Actually Porklife I’d prefer your aunt to my aunt. My aunt wouldn’t tell you nothing and then after your car being stolen from the rough street and the dodgy neighbor who starts fires has set fire to your shed.
    Then she’ll leave you in on the local gossip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭On the Beach

Sometimes when I read some of the trivially annoyances in here and I get a whiff of meanness and lack of understanding off them and that can TA me myself. It's just another example of the modern dismissiveness you can see nowadays. The internet has brought in an era of such self righteousness and bullsh!t in people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Is he her favorite child?

Yeah she would've always bent over backwards for anything he wanted because he was a very sickly child when he was young. He's not so sickly anymore but still gets lifted and laid. It drives me nuts but its her house and he's not gonna change.
    We've been told that when my parents pass away the house will be left to me with the express condition that he be allowed to live there for the rest of his days. It'll be left to me because she knows I don't want the house but he's not responsible enough to actually own it himself. So she knows well what he's like but just continues to pander to him. :rolleyes:

Family!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Yeah she would've always bent over backwards for anything he wanted because he was a very sickly child when he was young. He's not so sickly anymore but still gets lifted and laid. It drives me nuts but its her house and he's not gonna change.
    We've been told that when my parents pass away the house will be left to me with the express condition that he be allowed to live there for the rest of his days. It'll be left to me because she knows I don't want the house but he's not responsible enough to actually own it himself. So she knows well what he's like but just continues to pander to him. :rolleyes:

Sounds like rod for your back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,481 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When people think everybody who has a different opinion as them online is trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The good news in that scenario is that, legally, he'll either have to pay you rent at the market rate, or face Capital Gains Tax for the free use of the house (as it's classified as a gift).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

My parents are the same. Think the sun shines out of their sons backside. The sad irony is he has so little time for them. Oh well, f*ck them, at least we can get away from them as adults.

TA fell asleep for about twenty minutes and now I feel wrecked.

The good news in that scenario is that, legally, he'll either have to pay you rent at the market rate, or face Capital Gains Tax for the free use of the house (as it's classified as a gift).

Huh, this is useful to know. Cheers. It'll just be a huge pain in the backside when it comes to it.

Thankfully when it comes to my parents, they're actually decent folks, just have this massive blind spot when it comes to their son.

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I reckon there is something a bit dodgy with those two. He mentions “cock”
    To his sister way too frequently for my liking 😊
    You don't mean... surely not... the I word :eek:

That might be going a bit too far but I have seen over the years that when a brother and sister move in together long term it usually doesn't work out too well. They can develop a quite possessive relationship.

They mostly grow old together and stay single as they will each chase/scare off any love interest that the other sibling might have.

• Advertisement

My aunt :(

She's been very good to us and was a massive help when mam lived at home. She's also been really good to my dad, bring him to his hospital appointments and things. But. Its kind of..she can be odd.

The last appointment daddy had I brought him. I explained to her that she has been so good and I wanted to give her a break. Anyways. He has another test tomorrow and she's being weird. Basically she can't accompany him for mad reasons. I feel like it's because her nose is out of joint because I brought him last time.

She is under no obligation of course but if my suspicions are right then that's petty and its not fair on daddy. He hasn't done anything wrong :(
    I will go with him so that's not the worry. Its just this kind of carry on from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You don't mean... surely not... the I word :eek:

That might be going a bit too far but I have seen over the years that when a brother and sister move in together long term it usually doesn't work out too well. They can develop a quite possessive relationship.

They mostly grow old together and stay single as they will each chase/scare off any love interest that the other sibling might have.

Are they from Offaly? That would explain it

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Are they from Offaly? That would explain it
    No, the young English pair from Gogglebox.
    The brother and sister living together on the farm was quite common here especially in the old days.

A common thing was if the farmers wife died and there was a single sister in law still back at the home place, she would move into the house and cook and clean for him. Sometimes they would get married but usually it was just keeping the house right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

My aunt :(

She's been very good to us and was a massive help when mam lived at home. She's also been really good to my dad, bring him to his hospital appointments and things. But. Its kind of..she can be odd.

The last appointment daddy had I brought him. I explained to her that she has been so good and I wanted to give her a break. Anyways. He has another test tomorrow and she's being weird. Basically she can't accompany him for mad reasons. I feel like it's because her nose is out of joint because I brought him last time.

She is under no obligation of course but if my suspicions are right then that's petty and its not fair on daddy. He hasn't done anything wrong :(
    I will go with him so that's not the worry. Its just this kind of carry on from her.

My mam would be like this, everything is peachy once she's "in charge" ask her not to do something and she takes it as a personal insult

My mam would be like this, everything is peachy once she's "in charge" ask her not to do something and she takes it as a personal insult

Its bonkers to me and very much about control I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Sometimes when I read some of the trivially annoyances in here and I get a whiff of meanness and lack of understanding off them and that can TA me myself. It's just another example of the modern dismissiveness you can see nowadays. The internet has brought in an era of such self righteousness and bullsh!t in people.

The thread is a lighthearted way to vent about things that should only mildly irk you but disproportionately wind us up. It's the very nature of the thread to come across as mean and to exaggerate annoyances for comic event. It's like the tv show Grumpy Old Men. I don't think any posters come across as mean or dismissive but then perhaps I'm reading the thread in a less serious way. It is After hours afterall!

Huh, this is useful to know. Cheers. It'll just be a huge pain in the backside when it comes to it.

Thankfully when it comes to my parents, they're actually decent folks, just have this massive blind spot when it comes to their son.

Look up "rights of residence" on the revenue website. You will be able to offset his claim from your tax liability of CAT . You will need to do a calculation based on his age and how long he's expected to live etc. Then you will need to do another calculation on his death, when you get the property.

It's a fairly messy way to leave a property to a child, but leaving it in trust is also fairly messy .

She's doing your brother no favours enabling him, but you already know that.

Its bonkers to me and very much about control I think.

Defo control issues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it may possibly be more benign and they just like feeling useful.

No it would be classified as rights of residence not a gift. :) As far as I can remember anyway, it's been a while since I looked at this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bredabe

A colleague commenting on the child of a client, as being so well mannered and softly spoken!
    I admire good manners in anyone but that comments seemed like a throwback to 'children should be seen and not heard' we know how that ended up!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Look up "rights of residence" on the revenue website. You will be able to offset his claim from your tax liability of CAT . You will need to do a calculation based on his age and how long he's expected to live etc. Then you will need to do another calculation on his death, when you get the property.

It's a fairly messy way to leave a property to a child, but leaving it in trust is also fairly messy .

She's doing your brother no favours enabling him, but you already know that.

Would this still apply even if I'm not a resident in the state? I live in Belfast but the house is in Tipperary.

In any case, thanks for the advice and I'll keep it in mind but hopefully this won't become an issue for many many years yet!

Porklife wrote: »
    The thread is a lighthearted way to vent about things that should only mildly irk you but disproportionately wind us up. It's the very nature of the thread to come across as mean and to exaggerate annoyances for comic event. It's like the tv show Grumpy Old Men. I don't think any posters come across as mean or dismissive but then perhaps I'm reading the thread in a less serious way. It is After hours afterall!

I sort of agree with on the beach. Says she after giving out about her aunt, but I think there is a complete lack of understanding for the human condition in how some speak about others. So what if such a person stands beside you in a queue, are they really that terrible?
    A lot of time the TA's say more about the person having them.

Even take my own. If you can read between the lines you will see that I'm petrified of being solely responsible for my dad and having to do it all by myself. I have the self awareness to see that and acknowledge it.

Now my criticism isn't with the thread because there are lots of lighthearted posts. 1 or 2 people though have posts that seem full of anger and hatred of other people.

I sort of agree with on the beach. Says she after giving out about her aunt, but I think there is a complete lack of understanding for the human condition in how some speak about others. So what if such a person stands beside you in a queue, are they really that terrible?
    A lot of time the TA's say more about the person having them.

Even take my own. If you can read between the lines you will see that I'm petrified of being solely responsible for my dad and having to do it all by myself. I have the self awareness to see that and acknowledge it.

Now my criticism isn't with the thread because there are lots of lighthearted posts. 1 or 2 people though have posts that seem full of anger and hatred of other people.

Did you ever think other people posting TAs might also have the same self awareness but choose not to spill the contents of their hearts into a thread about trivial annoyances?

Antares35 wrote: »
    Did you ever think other people posting TAs might also have the same self awareness but choose not to spill the contents of their hearts into a thread about trivial annoyances?

I don't see self awareness in spitting bile towards others but I could be completely wrong.

I don't see self awareness in spitting bile towards others but I could be completely wrong.

Surely bile spitting has been banned since Covid hit. Nasty habit :)

TA winning at a zoom quiz and then it has to be re set because some people are technophobes who can't get it to work.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Surely bile spitting has been banned since Covid hit. Nasty habit :)

TA winning at a zoom quiz and then it has to be re set because some people are technophobes who can't get it to work.

If only Antares.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Oldies putting pressure on the kids to come and visit them this Christmas. Ah sure it'll be alright. I just want my family ...
    It would break you're heart, but ta

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

That dirty cold breeze on the back of your head when you walk outside after a haircut

• Advertisement

Bredabe wrote: »
    A colleague commenting on the child of a client, as being so well mannered and softly spoken!
    I admire good manners in anyone but that comments seemed like a throwback to 'children should be seen and not heard' we know how that ended up!

This reminds me of a somewhat related TA, is the seemingly lack of respect some individuals have for children's autonomy too, usually of the "they should be seen and not heard" cohort. Being forced to give your aul great aunt or uncle a hug or kiss for example, as if they have no say over their own bodies. Teaching them about boundaries and consent etc and then forcing them to hug people they barely know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement