Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

People who fawn over Larry David. Curb Your Enthusiasm has been ****e since the 8th season and probably peaked in quality during the 4th season.

I think Ricky Gervais is insufferable but he knew when to end The Office before it had a chance to jump the shark; that show is perfection from start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

People who think it's acceptable to overtake a bus when it's signalling to pull away from a bus stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

This thing with the Irish were they have to claim anyone with an ounce of Irish as their own. Biden, Obama, CNN's King etc. I see no other country doing it. The oxford vaccine the same, they have to say 2 Irish scientists are part of the team, no mention of any of the others that are working just as hard.
    Just seems kinda pathetic thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Don't forget the British are also serial-claimers of any successful Irish people. Samuel L Jackson called them out on it once.
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/jason-obrien-british-obsession-claiming-13816449

When you lose they don't want to know you. Andy Murray was British when he was winning, became Scottish again whenever he lost :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Don't forget the British are also serial-claimers of any successful Irish people. Samuel L Jackson called them out on it once.

And do we really know what the non english speaking nations do?
    I know, for example, Filipinos are very proud of anyone from Philippine descent that does well internationally.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/jason-obrien-british-obsession-claiming-13816449

When you lose they don't want to know you. Andy Murray was British when he was winning, became Scottish again whenever he lost :rolleyes:

On the subject of tennis - when successful Greg Rusedski was “Britain’s number one”; when there was drug accusations he became “Montreal born...”.

Oh TA - Andy Murray. Hate him. And his ma!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I think they do that just to p*ss the Irish off :D

The last time I looked Scotland was still part of Britain.

spookwoman wrote: »
    I think they do that just to p*ss the Irish off :D

The last time I looked Scotland was still part of Britain.
    He was called 'british tennis player Andy Murray' when winning. ie more english, scottish when he lost ie, nothing to do with us, mate.
    When we do it I think it is mostly tongue-in-cheek, a bit of craic.
    The English take it much more seriously: not just music: I've seen Thin Lizzy, Rory Gallagher and U2 described as British bands in magazines etc, but going back hundreds of years, scientists like Boyle were claimed by the English and anything the invented or discovered they would still call it a british discovery today.
    Blame it on the Royal Society, they were always in a pissing contest to prove that Britain was the world leader in science and astronomy (it wasn't) that they had to pinch our guys to try to get ahead of France and Germany etc.
    I suppose by their logic Boyle was a british citizen at that time of his discoveries, so the discoveries are still British.

Antares35 wrote: »
    American accent has been seeping in here for a good two decades I think. It's rife among the young, especially the ones from more affluent backgrounds.

I find myself removing batteries from any of my kid's toys that have recorded tunes, voices etc because without a doubt they will be some hybrid Chinese/ American accent.

The lowest point was when her keyboard belted out "maybe you, could be-ee a purple monkey in a bubblegum tree-ee" - just don't want her listening to that shíte. :D
    Look back at old footage of Gay Byrne he used to do yank accents now and again, so did an aul fella I worked with. With them though it was like a wild west cowboy accent, and they were doing it for a laugh. The young ones today do it non-stop and I don't think they even realise it.
    They are reared on nothing but American shows and films tbf. We had a lot more Irish, English and loads of Ozzie shows growing up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Pulling on my jeans this morning and the zip has ripped my skin from my shin to above my knee ..wouldn't be the first time either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Last night I decided I'd go out for breakfast this morning seeing as my local-ish place has re-opened post-lockdown.

Got up early but just didn't feel like it. Couldn't motivate myself to get in the car and drive there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,081 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Notifications on my phone.
    I click and get ' no new messages ) etc. But the notification sign is still there. On 4 apps now.
    Also emails from the lottery (uk) to tell me 'good news about your ticket ' . Well stick your £4.20 up your hole ! I nearly had a heart attack.
    While I'm at it the Battery symbol on this phone. It's at 61% but looks like its showing 30/40%
    Oh and there's more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Awake since 4.30 this morning thanks to the massive session people decided to have in the playground across the road from my. They weren't even teenagers either, two of them stood under my window having a very long and loud conversation and they looked about 25. And there was a constant stream of taxis coming and going so they weren't from the estate and had money to spend on getting home.

What a weird and random thing to do - organise to go on the knack somewhere far enough away to require a taxi.

The cops finally arrived and they all scattered. The Gardai spent about an hour searching in gardens and bushes while a collection of very confused taxis drove around wondering where their fares were...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Awake since 4.30 this morning thanks to the massive session people decided to have in the playground across the road from my. They weren't even teenagers either, two of them stood under my window having a very long and loud conversation and they looked about 25. And there was a constant stream of taxis coming and going so they weren't from the estate and had money to spend on getting home.

What a weird and random thing to do - organise to go on the knack somewhere far enough away to require a taxi.

The cops finally arrived and they all scattered. The Gardai spent about an hour searching in gardens and bushes while a collection of very confused taxis drove around wondering where their fares were...

Dial, you should have done the French thing and chucked a saucepan of water out the window, down over their heads :)

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Pulling on my jeans this morning and the zip has ripped my skin from my shin to above my knee ..wouldn't be the first time either

I thought that sentence was going to end very differently ala American Pie There's Something About Mary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I thought that sentence was going to end very differently ala American Pie.

‘There’s Something About Mary’, no?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

‘There’s Something About Mary’, no?

yeah, thats the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

yeah, thats the one.

Thanks for the wincing memory of that scene.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Thanks for the wincing memory of that scene.

WE GOT A BLEEDER!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

DOMS :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

DOMS :(

Whats DOMS?!

My TA is that its Saturday and I am thinking about monday at work. I wonder if this could count as overtime...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

There was a ball pit for babies for sale in Aldi a while back. Thought it would be nice to pick one up for the little one because she can sit up now, and loves playing with bits of coloured plastic and all that as they do at that age. None in the store I stopped by today. No biggy, just picked up a few other bits and figured I'd order one online from somewhere else.

Apparently there isn't an Aldi one to be got the length and breadth of the country. Women in the mums group I'm in are going mad posting asking what stores they are in. IIRC they were the same about the last range of toys Lidl had in. In fact, stores had to implement a ticketing and store marshall system to stop people running amok, killing each other and buying up loads of them.

The thing is, it isn't that these toys are any cheaper, or can't be got elsewhere or are specifically made in Ireland. You could have the exact same thing in Argos or Amazon and nobody would give a feckin hoot but for some reason when it's Lidl or Aldi, the FOMO just kicks in with people. And one isn't enough either - how many ball pits does your child actually need?

TL:DR TA hungry gits.

Whats DOMS?!

My TA is that its Saturday and I am thinking about monday at work. I wonder if this could count as overtime...

Is it a dominatrix?

There was a ball pit for babies for sale in Aldi a while back. Thought it would be nice to pick one up for the little one because she can sit up now, and loves playing with bits of coloured plastic and all that as they do at that age. None in the store I stopped by today. No biggy, just picked up a few other bits and figured I'd order one online from somewhere else.

Apparently there isn't an Aldi one to be got the length and breadth of the country. Women in the mums group I'm in are going mad posting asking what stores they are in. IIRC they were the same about the last range of toys Lidl had in. In fact, stores had to implement a ticketing and store marshall system to stop people running amok, killing each other and buying up loads of them.

The thing is, it isn't that these toys are any cheaper, or can't be got elsewhere or are specifically made in Ireland. You could have the exact same thing in Argos or Amazon and nobody would give a feckin hoot but for some reason when it's Lidl or Aldi, the FOMO just kicks in with people. And one isn't enough either - how many ball pits does your child actually need?

TL:DR TA hungry gits.
    Very sly business model they have with their middle aisle stuff. Some new item comes in and it is 'when they are gone they are gone' so people want to buy it quick in the week or whatever.
    Of course they usually have the same things on offer at a later date, but who is to say for sure they will!
    Also this model means they are never stuck with a load of unwanted stock they can't shift like Argos and the others.

Very sly business model they have with their middle aisle stuff. Some new item comes in and it is 'when they are gone they are gone' so people want to buy it quick in the week or whatever.
    Of course they usually have the same things on offer at a later date, but who is to say for sure they will!
    Also this model means they are never stuck with a load of unwanted stock they can't shift like Argos and the others.
    Oh it's very clever alright, they are cashing in on people's FOMO and it's a good marketing move. It's just when they say "they are gone they're gone" I hear, "when they're gone you can just get one somewhere else" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Is it a dominatrix?

Tell me more

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Tell me more

Women who like to be violent towards others, is about where my knowledge begins and ends. Presumably the men who are into them were belted around the kitchen table with a dish cloth by their mammy, and have some weird Oedipus complex. I'm not sure though! :D

TA that the passport office still insists on receipt of important documents by snail mail. I actually had to put my own passport into a fúcking postbox to them, to make sure I'm not trafficking my own child.

They've no idea where my passport is now, and the "computer says no" príck that I spoke to basically just said "dunno how long it will take, we've a big massive pile of envelopes still to open". So, anyone could have my passport, and I am also prevented from travelling should an emergency arrive, because the passport office is stuck back in the 1980s. Do they realise that scan copies are accepted for banking, KYC checks etc. Why are they so precious about originals?

TA public sector bureaucracy and incompetence means my baby probably won't get to meet her sick grandmother :(

Women who like to be violent towards others, is about where my knowledge begins and ends. Presumably the men who are into them were belted around the kitchen table with a dish cloth by their mammy, and have some weird Oedipus complex. I'm not sure though! :D

The thing I don't get about that stuff is how stressful does your life have to be for that stuff to give you pleasure

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Whats DOMS?!

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness ( I think is the term)

Essentially over did the exercise yesterday and now muscles very crampy - self inflicted and I should know better!

• Advertisement

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness ( I think is the term)

Essentially over did the exercise yesterday and now muscles very crampy - self inflicted and I should know better!

Your first mistake was doing exercise in the first place

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement