Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

Look back at old footage of Gay Byrne he used to do yank accents now and again, so did an aul fella I worked with. With them though it was like a wild west cowboy accent, and they were doing it for a laugh. The young ones today do it non-stop and I don't think they even realise it.
    They are reared on nothing but American shows and films tbf. We had a lot more Irish, English and loads of Ozzie shows growing up. :)

Nothing to do with watching American TV shows and films. Scottish, Welsh and English women watch the same things we do and they don't speak with American accents.

All the women I've ever met from the UK & Ireland and other English speaking countries and it's just ours who change their accents.

I have a theory that it's some kind of cultural inferiority or insecurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Nothing to do with watching American TV shows and films. Scottish, Welsh and English women watch the same things we do and they don't speak with American accents.

All the women I've ever met from the UK & Ireland and other English speaking countries and it's just ours who change their accents.

I have a theory that it's some kind of cultural inferiority or insecurity.
    Stick on Emmerdale sometime, it sounds more like an episode of Friends nowadays. Then look up some old Emmerdale Farm clips on YT to hear the proper old eh-up Yorkshire accents.
    Same with Corro: regional accents are dying off in the english-speaking world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Antares35 wrote: »
    There was a ball pit for babies for sale in Aldi a while back. Thought it would be nice to pick one up for the little one because she can sit up now, and loves playing with bits of coloured plastic and all that as they do at that age. None in the store I stopped by today. No biggy, just picked up a few other bits and figured I'd order one online from somewhere else.

We used an inflatable paddling pool (in shape of a car) and bought a set of balls, all in argos came to about 20 quid.....might have to wait until summer stock comes in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

These lockdowns have not helped my appearance.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

These lockdowns have not helped my appearance.

Surreptitious, you can't improve perfection. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

New Home wrote: »
    Surreptitious, you can't improve perfection. :cool:

Would ya go away ya chancer!

Thanks though:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm not a chancer. I'm just an underestimated motivational speaker. :D (Plus, I use that excuse on myself aaaaallll the tiiiime!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 RLF71

Hypocrites and false friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I was watching the ManU v Man City match yesterday (which was annoying enough) but before the start, the camera went to a weird angle...but then I realised what was happening. The camera was 'taking the knee'!

What's wrong with these people? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The word "fish" needs to be entirely expunged from the English language.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

The word "fish" needs to be entirely expunged from the English language.

Add covid, and brexit and you have a deal

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Just lost twenty minutes of my weekend and life trying to 'coax back' a disappeared drawstring in a tracksuit bottoms waist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

TA christmas shopping and my hands were red raw from the handles of those bags for life they have in the shops.

TA i think my keyboard is starting to die off as some of the letters arent typing straight away, and needs one or two bashes to work properly. so ''table'' comes out as ''abe''.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Your first mistake was doing exercise in the first place

No my first mistake was not exercising for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

An entire Sunday morning wasted doing the weekly clean-up after the cats. While they just hang around shouting at me for food. No, you get fed in the evening and that's it. They must have fifty fúckin acres of mountain to roam, hunt, frolick, dance with the rabbits I don't know, whatever cats do, but no they've to "hang out" at the back door, tripping me up as I make my way in and out with buckets of hot water and bleach. Little sh*ts.

I love them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Imperial measurements for your tools.

I know a 200mm spanner didn´t work so I might try a 250mm

But read instructions on an American site and you learn about swopping a 5/8 spanner for next size up 11/16 spanner. If that doesn't work try a 3/4 spanner and then a 13/16

Now I learned fractions in school, we all did but it seems so unnecessarily difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Having to tax my car when I barely used it all year.

Due its NCT too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

mikemac2 wrote: »

But read instructions on an American site and you learn about swopping a 5/8 spanner for next size up 11/16 spanner. If that doesn't work try a 3/4 spanner and then a 13/16

Now I learned fractions in school, we all did but it seems so unnecessarily difficult

I watched a review of a camera on YouTube by a Canadian guy yesterday. For the Americans, he converted grams into pounds - but to 4 decimal places. Then he converted millimetres into lightyears for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

I was watching the ManU v Man City match yesterday (which was annoying enough) but before the start, the camera went to a weird angle...but then I realised what was happening. The camera was 'taking the knee'!

What's wrong with these people? :confused:

It's important to be seen doing the right thing, that's what's most important.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Had my sister and her bf over for a pre-quarantine Christmas dinner. Had a great night talking ****e which I didn't realise I missed so much. But we were up talking till near 4am and I am feeling every glass of wine and missed hour of sleep today.

And it's a month today since our little cat went to sleep and I still have a massive weight on my heart and a lump in my throat from missing her. Not in any mood for Christmas at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Had my sister and her bf over for a pre-quarantine Christmas dinner. Had a great night talking ****e which I didn't realise I missed so much. But we were up talking till near 4am and I am feeling every glass of wine and missed hour of sleep today.

And it's a month today since our little cat went to sleep and I still have a massive weight on my heart and a lump in my throat from missing her. Not in any mood for Christmas at all.

Aww Mollyb, what a bittersweet post, sending you a virtual hug.

TA at myself and my bizarre shopping/eating habits since being pregnant. I just came home and emptied the contents of my bags on the table...jam (I don't eat jam), big jar of honey, box of milk tray and koka noodles. So it looks like its honey noodles for dinner with chocolate jam for dessert. Yummy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

mikemac2 wrote: »

If a spanner or socket isnt in millimetres then I won't use it, I have a load of imperial sockets and I won't even entertain there existence. My father uses imperial, he'd say I'd reckon that's a 3/8, I'd have no idea what size that is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Celebrities that are rolling in money telling people and countries how to live or what to do.
    Climate change we need to cut down own carbon emissions while they jet around the world. Home many homes have they build for homeless people etc yet they tell us we have to take more people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

People who turn competions into county contests.
    The Young Scientist Award for eg. It was vote for the winner online and family members of the conteatants were sending out messages all over soc med saying things like 'support the county, vote for Lucy'.
    It is not about their inventions anymore but turns into like a GAA type county pride contest :(

When the person drying the dishes keeps getting in your way while you wash them. Or when you're drying them and trying to put them away but the person washing them keeps getting in your way going around gathering up more dirty ones.

People who turn competions into county contests.
    The Young Scientist Award for eg. It was vote for the winner online and family members of the conteatants were sending out messages all over soc med saying things like 'support the county, vote for Lucy'.
    It is not about their inventions anymore but turns into like a GAA type county pride contest :(

Same thing used to happen with the póxy Eurovision too :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Same thing used to happen with the póxy Eurovision too :D

But that was grand till we stopped winning!!!!

Gervais08 wrote: »
    But that was grand till we stopped winning!!!!

No I think it was grand when we stopped winning! :D wasn't there a time for a while where we didn't know where to get the money to host it! :)

"Price on Application" - would you get off with your notions. Can anyone explain why estate agents do this? Do they charge you more if you "look" like you can afford it? Will they not disclose the price and prevent you from buying if you "look" like you can't?

OH and I currently in the market for a house and this POA is really starting to píss me off :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

"Price on Application" - would you get off with your notions. Can anyone explain why estate agents do this? Do they charge you more if you "look" like you can afford it? Will they not disclose the price and prevent you from buying if you "look" like you can't?

OH and I currently in the market for a house and this POA is really starting to píss me off :(

Im looking at cars atm and I ignore all POA ads.
    Cant be dealing with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement