Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I was told by a coworker that I was best to leave getting my holiday pay for the week leading up to Xmas as apparently "I get taxed the least amount that week"....

Well that was bullsh1t.

I got taxed MORE than what I usually get taxed because of Revenue's PAYE Week 1 basis nonsense, whatever it is.

GREAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You get a paper carrier bag when you're shopping on a wet day and it disintegrates in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

You get a paper carrier bag when you're shopping on a wet day and it disintegrates in the rain.

I remember Penney's went through a phase of double paper bagging everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Sometimes it's a bigger problem when stuff you ordered does arrive.

I ordered a book for my brother as part of his present (I do stress part - I'm getting him some good stuff too). It's a book of one million random digits. He's into maths, and it's supposed to be a joke. Hilarious, eh?

Ordered it back in early November from the publishers in the US. Couple of days later they said it shipped. I waited patiently until last Tuesday, but there was no sign if it, so I emailed the publishers. Immediately they responded with an apology, and said that they'd FedEx another copy.

FedEx arrived on Friday morning with the replacement. Happy days. Then Saturday morning, the postman arrives - with the first copy I ordered.

The book is massive. And completely useless.

I've now got a spare copy of "A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates" that I have absolutely no use for and is far too expensive to return to the US. And I just can't stress how completely useless it is. It weighs about 2kg, and all it is is a million random digits printed across 628 pages. Ok, there's 100,000 Normal Deviates too, but I've no idea what that means.

To top it all off, you can download the PDF for free. The physical book and shipping cost me a fortune.

TAd that sometimes the "hilarious" joke or prank you come up with at one one in the morning turns out to be both an expensive and inconvenient folly.

Any suggestions on what to do with the spare copy? I was thinking of just leaning even more into the stupid joke and giving it to my wife (fnar fnar - there's no way I'd get any ever again if I gave her a giant book of one million random digits for xmas).

Have you tried bringing the Maths forum in the equation?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=380

They might be very excited about it!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

My sister left her job over 4 years ago and still gets 250 euro vouchers for Christmas. I have been over 8 years with my job and get absolutely nothing, I'm really angry now. They don't even send out cards anymore, last year I got an ecard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

People who text or fb message you. Getting a good yap going and they just disappear.

Why bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,310 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Cadbury milk tray box of chocolates.
    Gone to shīte completely.
    Unless it's my taste buds :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Glitter.

Bought a tub of it so one of the kids could make a snow globe out of a jam jar. Now the whole house looks like it's been wiped down by strippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Glitter.

Bought a tub of it so one of the kids could make a snow globe out of a jam jar. Now the whole house looks like it's been wiped down by strippers.

And it will remain that way until November next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Glitter.

Next time the missus asks why I've glitter on me, I can use the excuse I was making snow globes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Red haired women.
    My first gf ,as a teenager and several other gfs ,have been red heads.
    Yet I'm only realising now that I effing love red haired women.
    Strange , it took 40+ years to work it out :(

blade1 wrote: »
    Cadbury milk tray box of chocolates.
    Gone to shīte completely.
    Unless it's my taste buds :o
    Cadburys are gone to pot since Kraft took over. They changed the good old recipes. They have a waxy, soapy taste I am guessing?

There is a corro game out where you control Ken fupping Barlow :confused:
    Nobody in the history of this planet has ever thought 'you know what would be great? A video game where you get to play as Ken Barlow and decorate his front room'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

cj maxx wrote: »
    Red haired women.
    My first gf ,as a teenager and several other gfs ,have been red heads.
    Yet I'm only realising now that I effing love red haired women.
    Strange , it took 40+ years to work it out :(

Red heads are kryptonite

• Registered Users Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

These new boards.ie live ads. You’re scrolling down on the phone then the page moves either up or down, throwing you off the place you were reading, to load these ads

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The seat almost the full way back so they can't see diddly squat, them driving round with the (c)rap music blaring, thinking they are a gangsta from south central L.A. rather than a farmers boy from Westmeath :rolleyes:

At least the tyre companies make something out of them, judging by the donuts tyre marks left around after them.

Some teen goes missing and the only id pic they can find is one with her face screwed up doing a duck face pose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Stinginess in all it's various forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

My sister left her job over 4 years ago and still gets 250 euro vouchers for Christmas. I have been over 8 years with my job and get absolutely nothing, I'm really angry now. They don't even send out cards anymore, last year I got an ecard.

We have gone from 30 to 40 to 50 euro vouchers. Might get a big 60 euro one this year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Glitter.

This lad makes good use of it. He had packages stolen from his porch so he leaves packages with a glitter bomb inside :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxhDk-hwuo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The phrase "up to" in marketing terms.

Up to 60% off , click in and maybe one item (if you're lucky) is 60% off the rest is 10-15% but it's not false advertising as "up to"

Up to 100% effective.....it's effective or it's not, stop using the "up to" as a get out clause when your product fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I was in Mahon yesterday and spotted a guy on the road that looked like a competitive walker. Why tf was he on the road? I've said this before about runners running on the road when there's a path next to them, cyclists on the road when there's a cycle path next to them - get off the ****ing road. I don't care what reason you think you have for being on the road - you're a danger to yourself and others - get off the ****ing road!

This guy can really have had no excuse. Not only was there empty footpaths on both sides of the road, but he was also less than five hundred yards from the disused Blackrock railway line - he could mince his way up and down that all day without bothering anyone. With the newly pedestrianised Marina, he could make an almost 10km loop (though maybe 1.5km would be on streets with footpaths), which might be a bit repetitive if he's doing massive distance but is a nice part of the city and would be safe. He could even take a spur out to Passage West and back, which again has a short stretch on a road with a footpath but is mostly a separate amenity walk.

But no - this genius is walking on the ****ing road. And though I passed him in relatively good weather, on a wide stretch of road with good visibility, and at a quiet time of day, I'd bet that he's sometimes out there training in busy traffic, on narrow roads, and in bad weather when people are driving around with half their windows misted up. I think when he gets run over, because it is "when", not "if", he should be held criminally and financially liable for the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I was in Mahon yesterday and spotted a guy on the road that looked like a competitive walker. Why tf was he on the road? I've said this before about runners running on the road when there's a path next to them, cyclists on the road when there's a cycle path next to them - get off the ****ing road. I don't care what reason you think you have for being on the road - you're a danger to yourself and others - get off the ****ing road!

This guy can really have had no excuse. Not only was there empty footpaths on both sides of the road, but he was also less than five hundred yards from the disused Blackrock railway line - he could mince his way up and down that all day without bothering anyone. With the newly pedestrianised Marina, he could make an almost 10km loop (though maybe 1.5km would be on streets with footpaths), which might be a bit repetitive if he's doing massive distance but is a nice part of the city and would be safe. He could even take a spur out to Passage West and back, which again has a short stretch on a road with a footpath but is mostly a separate amenity walk.

But no - this genius is walking on the ****ing road. And though I passed him in relatively good weather, on a wide stretch of road with good visibility, and at a quiet time of day, I'd bet that he's sometimes out there training in busy traffic, on narrow roads, and in bad weather when people are driving around with half their windows misted up. I think when he gets run over, because it is "when", not "if", he should be held criminally and financially liable for the consequences.
    I saw a guy running BACKWARDS on Centre Park Road on a winter evening about 3-4 years ago. I was walking from Mahon into the city so I was on the footpath. This guy was on the actual road, going one way then turning and coming back, running backwards the whole time. He passed me four times in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Up to 60% off , click in and maybe one item (if you're lucky) is 60% off the rest is 10-15% but it's not false advertising as "up to"

Up to 100% effective.....it's effective or it's not, stop using the "up to" as a get out clause when your product fails.

And the same with broadband suppliers. Up to X speed. Bull if you're outside a major town, or in the country

I work in a port area, they have up no public access/no dog walking signage in what is a non public area with heavy goods vehicles, cars buses etc driving up and down in limited visibility esp in this weather.

This is a locality with no shortage of other pavements and walkways etc but it still attracts these fecking walkers and joggers and eegits with their dogs.
    It's not really that scenic and in murky weather there's F all to look at.

At least the tyre companies make something out of them, judging by the donuts tyre marks left around after them.
    And these twerps haven't heard about the study that says rubber particles from tyres are really bad for people's health :mad:

They are needlessly filling the atmosphere with them for a bit of craic like.

Mimon wrote: »
    This lad makes good use of it. He had packages stolen from his porch so he leaves packages with a glitter bomb inside :D

Nail bomb would be good enough for the fcukers :mad:
    Did you see all the tech in that last guys house? And those guitars would have cost a few bob too. Greedy fcuker.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mimon wrote: »

Needs more glue and indelible ink.

Used in broadband sellers too.
    With speeds of up to 50 whatevers...you will never get faster than 10 whatevers :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

THUMBS.DB

Sorry for shouting - I've been trying to delete a folder for AN HOUR! I never even opened it. ****ing thumbs.db...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement