Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

All this snow we were supposed to be getting. Another damp squid. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

.anon. wrote: »

Thursday, into Friday. That’s what I’m getting from the “readings” off my weather station.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭optogirl

all squids are damp :D

And it's not quite a damp squib yet - Thurs/Fri for any potential large amount of snow I think

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

optogirl wrote: »

And it's not quite a damp squib yet - Thurs/Fri for any potential large amount of snow I think

I'm glad I'm not the only one TA'd by the use of damp squid.

"squib" isn't a word.

• Advertisement

"squib" isn't a word.

Oh but it is

"squib" isn't a word.

a squib is a small explosive device. when they get damp they don't go off properly hence the expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭blade1

"squib" isn't a word.

:eek:

I think I'd know if it was a word. "Squib" is like a made up word you'd use to get rid of a 'Q' in Scrabble. The phrase is "damp squid". I can't believe I have to explain this to people.

I think I'd know if it was a word. "Squib" is like a made up word you'd use to get rid of a 'Q' in Scrabble. The phrase is "damp squid". I can't believe I have to explain this to people.

Ok you had me going. **Ripple of applause**

• Advertisement

Ok you had me going. **Ripple of applause**

I'll take that as an acknowledgement that I'm right, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Dry since this morning round these parts so I went out for a run there. Light graupel shower started just as I was leaving the house. With the wind and cold factored in I essentially got a bonus free session of microdermabrasion along with my exercise.

Me face!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Dry since this morning round these parts so I went out for a run there. Light graupel shower started just as I was leaving the house. With the wind and cold factored in I essentially got a bonus free session of microdermabrasion along with my exercise.

Me face!

That made me laugh haha. I went out on Sunday morning at 6am for a walk and about fifteen minutes from home got pelted with little sharp stabby burning arrows of ice, I actually looked at the sky and said wtf.
    I got home at about 8am and went back to bed all grumpy and in pain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Dial Hard wrote: »

Me face!

Don't start .anon. again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

TV weather girl just said “graupel”.....TAd that today Is the first time I’ve ever heard this word....I feel left out...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

jojofizzio wrote: »
    TV weather girl just said “graupel”.....TAd that today Is the first time I’ve ever heard this word....I feel left out...

Cad e sin?

To thine own self be true

The Eskimo are laughing at us now.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sound like the kind of "soft" hailstones that look like rolled up beads of compressed snow.

New Home wrote: »
    Sound like the kind of "soft" hailstones that look like rolled up beads of compressed snow.

And snizzle?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's when they get up your snozzle. :cool: (and make you sneeze).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Cad e sin?

Some kind of weird snow hybrid....not sleet,not hail,but graupel....:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Will everyone whisht up with these old style words.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Will everyone whisht up with these old style words.

I'm with you. its all a load of malarkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

What's with people using the word "graupel" today, just call it snow

PsychoPete wrote: »

Run the risk of some “anorak” coming at you with a bunch of questions on its size, shape and consistency.

Oh, and worst of all, your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Run the risk of some “anorak” coming at you with a bunch of questions on its size, shape and consistency.

Oh, and worst of all, your location.

Like the people that hangout in the weather forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Yes Herr Graupel :D well it is not really snow, it's soft hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Some kind of weird snow hybrid....not sleet,not hail,but graupel....:confused::confused:

It's the technical term for a very specific type of snow that forms in the upper atmosphere. Looks (and behaves, tbh) pretty much exactly like the stuff they used to put inside beanbags.

It's not sleet or hail.

Snizzle = snowy drizzle. Not a technical term, needless to say!

And thus concludes today's snowcabulary* lesson.

*Perfectly cromulent word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭The Wizards Sleeve

The way tax discs never tear perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Never heard of it before.

Could have been a form of Austrian cuisine for all I knew.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement