Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The way tax discs never tear perfectly.

I love tearing off tax discs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭The Wizards Sleeve

PsychoPete wrote:

You're welcome to come around and tear mine every year. :D

Me:
    "Finally, it's time to claim some of that juicy refund money due to me for working from home the past year. Might sneak a few bob for a nice night out in.

Okay, so we spent 600 on broadband and 1400 on energy over the year....2 grand is our starting figure, sounds promising.

Oh, we only get 10% of the energy (140) and 30% of the broadband (180)....that's a big drop down to 320 quid already.

And you have to factor in the weekends and days you were off.......so that's 180 days out of 366 (feckin leap year) I was working from home throughout the year. Let's call it half. Sooooo.....down to 160 now.

Still, better off in my pocket than theirs......time to claim it back I suppose. Better check revenue.ie for the calculations, make sure my sums are okay."
    At the end of the year, Rob and Mark each complete their own Income Tax return for 2020. They can each claim €56.36 Remote Working Relief under Tax Credits and Reliefs - 'Your Job' tab.

Rob and Mark both pay tax at the higher tax rate (40%) and will receive €22.54 as tax relief.

WTF is this nonsense? You only get 40% relief on the percentage of your working days spent at home, which itself is based off 10% of what you paid in the first place?

So, that €2,000 spent turns out to be €64 back to the household, which has to be split between the pair of us.

I spent 3 hrs getting everything together for a sum total of a tenner an hour. I'd have been better off going to work, ffs.

What is the feckin point?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

PsychoPete wrote: »

Actually / to be entirely pedantic !!!

Tax discs used to be printed in your local motor tax office and yes .. the perforation was incredibly satisfying.

Now they are all printed in only location and they never feckin tear properly .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

If they even put a perforated ine out to the edge of the page it would help

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

doughef wrote: »
    Actually / to be entirely pedantic !!!

Tax discs used to be printed in your local motor tax office and yes .. the perforation was incredibly satisfying.

Now they are all printed in only location and they never feckin tear properly .

You do a tiny bit at a time and it tears out perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I ordered from M and S and somehow my street is omitted from my address in the dispatch e mail . It will never get here without it but trying to get through to M and S is a joke .No one will help me change it or even try to sort it .

Is your street on "address line 2"?

That's often omitted when address is formatted for dispatch

I usually put as much as I can on line 1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I can't say tax disc. I have to really think about it and still almost always get it wrong first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Phoenix32

I can't say I'd ever wish death upon someone but my god I'm close to it. Not remotely trivial.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I can't say tax disc. I have to really think about it and still almost always get it wrong first time.

I almost say "tax dicks" everytime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I almost say "tax dicks" everytime

Same.

I also struggle with "legislative". Which isn't ideal when you work in public affairs...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

What's with people using the word "graupel" today, just call it snow

Wtf is a graupel? Where have I been :(

Antares35 wrote: »
    Wtf is a graupel? Where have I been :(

Graupel is from a process called "riming", be careful what you Google

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

We've been doing this 'Teams' thing for coming up on a year now. How do you STILL not know how to share your screen??? And if you're in a rush to get this thing done before 9.30 maybe don't spend 10 minutes telling me your lifestory and getting your kid to show me her dolly on the ****ing call?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Bredabe

6. 45 am, dog rudely invites himself onto my bed. Then in to it, bringing his freezing cold coat, paws, and nose with him.

Then crawls the length of the bed to heat up, leaving a trail of dog coldness and the cold breeze on the human in said bed.

*Dog had been out for his 2k dawn walk in the frost!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,932 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Bredabe wrote: »
    6. 45 am, dog rudely invites himself onto my bed. Then in to it, bringing his freezing cold coat, paws, and nose with him.

Then crawls the length of the bed to heat up, leaving a trail of dog coldness and the cold breeze on the human in said bed.

*Dog had been out for his 2k dawn walk in the frost!
    I'll never understand how people allow their dogs on or in their bed !

• Registered Users Posts: 12 teabag1993

cj maxx wrote: »
    It's worse with cats, believe me. When they decide you've been in bed too long and should have been up by now to feed them, they'll sit by the side of the bed and yowl at you until you get up. But if you're hungover or idle and don't feel like getting up yet, they'll jump on top of you and start digging their claws in, and god forbid you leave the tiniest bit of skin exposed, they'll nip at it until you crumble and get up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭blade1

TA at how slippy graupel is to drive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Annual car insurance rant time!

TBH, this year's quote search was better than last years, but I'm still surprised at the range of quotes available, and still surprised that some of the quote engines didn't work. In 2021 you'd think a business that size would be able to provide a service online.

In terms of price, there was some that got closer to my renewal quote than they did last year. There was a few in the +15% to +30% range. There was still some that were almost double my renewal quote, and as always I wonder are they just giving me a high quote or everybody, and if so, how do they do any business?

One site did a thing that annoyed me - they asked if there was a second car in the household. I have a motorcycle, and my motorcycle insurer gives a 10% discount for having multiple policies, but since they specifically asked about a "second car", I didn't bother going down that rabbit hole. In the end the quote was very high so it probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

On to failures! One major insurer crapped out on the first page. Though my eircode did retrieve my address, it wouldn't accept it as a valid address. IIRC, the same thing happened last year. I presume it's not failing for everybody, but that's still a fault there for at least a year. I tried to get a quote from my own insurer as a new customer, because sometimes that can be cheaper, but it was the only site that failed to identify my car from the registration number. In fact it didn't even give an error message or timeout - just gave the same 'retrieving' animation.

Two companies after filling in all my details couldn't give a quote - 'Please ring us on...' No. I'd be slow to bother my ass phoning when so many other companies gave quotes, but I'd also assume their quotes are going to be high. One company had what looked like a quote engine but wasn't; just took contact details and said they'd be in touch. Like I'm going to wait for them to contact me? A fine example of why I give fake email addresses and telephone numbers while looking for initial quotes. I'm tempted to name them to save other users time, but that probably wouldn't be wise. How about in my opinion it's a waste of time to visit the website of the insurance company with the most annoying jingle in it's advertisements? :D

I think the last annoying thing was the company whose comprehensive cover wasn't very comprehensive. They gave what initially seemed like a relatively good quote, but by the time I added on the basics and extras that my current insurer offers, it was seeming very expensive again. I suppose at least they were upfront about it, and it was a good reminder to check the fine print when changing insurers.

• Advertisement

Not a choice, he is on the restricted breed list and has separation anxiety(training out of this didn't work for human reasons) so he cries endlessly and loudly if he isn't around a human when he expects them to be there.

In reality, its let him in/on the bed or have the neighbours complain and him put down as its the law.

This situation was in place when the govt forced me to live here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'm the opposite, I'll never understand people who don't allow their pets on the bed (unless it's, like, a goldfish, or something, 'cause that wouldn't be good for the pet). :D

teabag1993 wrote: »
    It's worse with cats, believe me. When they decide you've been in bed too long and should have been up by now to feed them, they'll sit by the side of the bed and yowl at you until you get up. But if you're hungover or idle and don't feel like getting up yet, they'll jump on top of you and start digging their claws in, and god forbid you leave the tiniest bit of skin exposed, they'll nip at it until you crumble and get up

I'm in work and I want to chat with my colleague about wedding stuff but I don't know if I should because she's working and it might not be 'appropriate'. I hate appropriate.
    And I have things to say dammit!!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,932 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Judge Rinder . In fact all those stupid fake court case shows.

New Home wrote: »
    I'm the opposite, I'll never understand people who don't allow their pets on the bed (unless it's, like, a goldish, or something, 'cause that wouldn't be good for the pet). :D

Then there is the trampolining or kneading on a full bladder for added discomfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Annual car insurance rant time!

TBH, this year's quote search was better than last years, but I'm still surprised at the range of quotes available, and still surprised that some of the quote engines didn't work. In 2021 you'd think a business that size would be able to provide a service online.

In terms of price, there was some that got closer to my renewal quote than they did last year. There was a few in the +15% to +30% range. There was still some that were almost double my renewal quote, and as always I wonder are they just giving me a high quote or everybody, and if so, how do they do any business?

One site did a thing that annoyed me - they asked if there was a second car in the household. I have a motorcycle, and my motorcycle insurer gives a 10% discount for having multiple policies, but since they specifically asked about a "second car", I didn't bother going down that rabbit hole. In the end the quote was very high so it probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

On to failures! One major insurer crapped out on the first page. Though my eircode did retrieve my address, it wouldn't accept it as a valid address. IIRC, the same thing happened last year. I presume it's not failing for everybody, but that's still a fault there for at least a year. I tried to get a quote from my own insurer as a new customer, because sometimes that can be cheaper, but it was the only site that failed to identify my car from the registration number. In fact it didn't even give an error message or timeout - just gave the same 'retrieving' animation.

Two companies after filling in all my details couldn't give a quote - 'Please ring us on...' No. I'd be slow to bother my ass phoning when so many other companies gave quotes, but I'd also assume their quotes are going to be high. One company had what looked like a quote engine but wasn't; just took contact details and said they'd be in touch. Like I'm going to wait for them to contact me? A fine example of why I give fake email addresses and telephone numbers while looking for initial quotes. I'm tempted to name them to save other users time, but that probably wouldn't be wise. How about in my opinion it's a waste of time to visit the website of the insurance company with the most annoying jingle in it's advertisements? :D

I think the last annoying thing was the company whose comprehensive cover wasn't very comprehensive. They gave what initially seemed like a relatively good quote, but by the time I added on the basics and extras that my current insurer offers, it was seeming very expensive again. I suppose at least they were upfront about it, and it was a good reminder to check the fine print when changing insurers.

Hi ...sent a pm but dont think it got through...Gist of it was try AXA if you havent already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

When you're avoiding someone and they send you a whatsapp which you don't want to reply to, but any time you click into the message you can see they are online. I know they could be online messaging anyone, but it just feels stalkery because they will know you are online too and I just imagine them sitting there wondering why I haven't replied.

Antares35 wrote: »
    When you're avoiding someone and they send you a whatsapp which you don't want to reply to, but any time you click into the message you can see they are online. I know they could be online messaging anyone, but it just feels stalkery because they will know you are online too and I just imagine them sitting there wondering why I haven't replied.

I like to read their message and not reply, making sure they know I read it but chose not to reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

People who wear jackets or coats draped across their shoulders, it's typically a D4 or TOWIE type.
    Either wear the damn thing properly or take it off.

A separate ta...was listening to a podcast earlier and the guest kept pronoucing etiquette as eti-quit. The annoying thing was the presenter just let him continually say it wrong. I was getting so irrationally irritated by it to the point I had to turn it off 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Coming from farming background, pets just about tolerated indoors, not a fcuking hope they're getting in bed with me after licking their balls and anus all day. Yuck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement