Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ah you need to up your game and marry an Aussie so...show some commitment ffs :D

God no. You don't go to Australia to mingle with actual Australians. You jump in with the first group of Irish people you can find and marry Aine from Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beffs

My take away coffee beverage of choice is an Americano, with warm milk in the space normally left in the top for cold milk.

OH MY ****ING GOD...the drama this causes in coffee shops...

I get a blank look of utter incomprehension by the cashier who has to be told 8 times, that no, I don't want a latte, a cappucino or a flat white...I'd like a normal, bog standard Americano, made the normal way with an espresso shot and hot water up to the brim. But in the inch or so where I, the customer, put cold milk, I'd like them to put hot milk into that space. Why is that so hard to understand? I don't even care how hot the milk actually is, I just don't want it to be cold. I also don't care what kind of milk they use.

Then when the cashier has it figured out, charges me for it and puts the order through, it's like War and bloody Peace getting that across to the barrista who is actually making the drink. I rarely get what i ordered, without yet more drama.

Why is this so hard to understand?

And no, I've tried ordering a white Americano. That doesn't exist apparently and will only result in yet another look of complete incomprehension.

Ok, feel better for getting that off my chest...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

Fruit/veg that almost always seems to go bad straight away in the fridge. Yet never even starts to rot in the compost :-/

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

Beffs wrote: »
    My take away coffee beverage of choice is an Americano, with warm milk in the space normally left in the top for cold milk.

I get a blank look of utter incomprehension by the cashier who has to be told 8 times, that no, I don't want a latte, a cappucino or a flat white...I'd like a normal, bog standard Americano, made the normal way with an espresso shot and hot water up to the brim. But in the inch or so where I, the customer, put cold milk, I'd like them to put hot milk into that space. Why is that so hard to understand? I don't even care how hot the milk actually is, I just don't want it to be cold. I also don't care what kind of milk they use.

Then when the cashier has it figured out, charges me for it and puts the order through, it's like War and bloody Peace getting that across to the barrista who is actually making the drink. I rarely get what i ordered, without yet more drama.

And no, I've tried ordering a white Americano. That doesn't exist apparently and will only result in yet another look of complete incomprehension.

"Non-standard request. Off script. Does not compute."

Swedes (the ones I know, at least) expect a lil jug of hot water/milk to go with their beverage.

Took me far too long to realise that a mocha abroad is merely a cappuccino with chocolate :facepalm:
    "Un cafe avec chocolat? C'est quoi ça, weirdo??" Still marginally better than "Nein."

Then there's Butlers hot chocolate...
    It'll either be:
    - not hot
    - not chocolate; just a milky flavour that's half a step above not being milk
    - neither hot, nor chocolately.

I've been asking for it extra-hot (even appears on the receipt). Do I really need to ask for it extra hot, extra chocolatey??

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Oneweb & Beffs
    You've both hit on major TA's 😁 of mine.

Veg from the likes of lidl seems to be toxic treated crap & tasteless which would nearly give off a luminous light source, there's no accounting for buying proper veg.

Coffee shops & not listening, i like an Americano with less water and a tiny drop of milk. Since they've started pouring the milk for us, they deem it ok to fill the cup up with milk, making it a milky lukewarm coffee, bleuch.

• Advertisement

In Canada its so easy to get Americano with hot milk .....that's my favourite too, I love hot coffee so the hot milk is a winner for me. I think it might be called Cafe Misto (steamed hot milk). Anyway its not in our vocabulary here Ireland. I don't like Cappucino, I dont like Latte, I just like hot strong coffee with hot milk!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The local shop puts my dad's newspaper behind the counter for him every day as they often used to sell out before he got over for it. I've been staying at home since Christmas so often pick it up for him while I'm out walking the dog. Every single time, without fail, when I ask for it they look at me like I've ten heads. Yer woman this morning thought I was trying to order a coffee.

He can just get it himself in future, I'm fed up trying to communicate with the gobdaws in that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beffs

In Canada its so easy to get Americano with hot milk .....that's my favourite too, I love hot coffee so the hot milk is a winner for me. I think it might be called Cafe Misto (steamed hot milk). Anyway its not in our vocabulary here Ireland. I don't like Cappucino, I dont like Latte, I just like hot strong coffee with hot milk!

Glad I'm not the only weirdo who drinks their coffee this way. Someone suggested I try ordering a "white coffee" and I was very excited to try that. But that only caused even more confusion as it's not 1988 and people don't drink white coffees any more. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    God no. You don't go to Australia to mingle with actual Australians. You jump in with the first group of Irish people you can find and marry Aine from Kerry

...and then post pictures from Bondi beach on Christmas day. EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Sure it was a little novel in 2001 but by 2020 enough already. We don't give a crap.

The very first time I saw coffee being made as a young was circa 1985. Friend of mine mixed instant, sugar and about 30ml of cold milk together and then poured hot water.

I still make instant like that when I have to but I stopped making instant years ago.

Some cafes in England will offer cold or hot milk with an Americano.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Mrs E is having a bit of a tough time with back pain. She took to the bed on Saturday. While getting her some pain killers from kitchen I found some
    Pain patches which I suggested she try.
    On back of the the pack is says:
    1. Don’t use them over garments
    2. Don’t use if diabeteic (fair enough)
    3. Dont put them in your shoe
    4. Don’t use in bed
    5. Don’t put in mouth
    6. May contain nuts

I made the last one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Companies getting soundalikes to do voice overs on ads so they can save money on the celeb's fee.
    Ebay have a David Jason rip-off, some other crowd have a Matt Berry one. David Mitchell did an ad for some insurance company, and in future ads they got someone to copy him badly rather than coughing up the bucks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Companies getting soundalikes to do voice overs on ads so they can save money on the celeb's fee.
    Ebay have a David Jason rip-off, some other crowd have a Matt Berry one. David Mitchell did an ad for some insurance company, and in future ads they got someone to copy him badly rather than coughing up the bucks again.

I know Matt Berry does the voiceover for Money Super Market. Is that the one you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I know Matt Berry does the voiceover for Money Super Market. Is that the one you mean?
    No it's Etoro, stocks and shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭Bredabe

FFS I have a headache the size of new york because I'm hungry, the second I hit the kitchen, someone else starts to cook their food.
    Ducking and diving in front of me and accidentally hitting against me as they can't tell how much space there is between us.

TA ppl at home all day, who don't leave me alone in the kitchen to make a sandwich in peace.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Why would anyone cut a pizza into six slices? It's awkward and effortful in general. But why in the name of GOD would you do it when there are four people sharing a couple of pizzas???

I live with a bunch of illogical heathens. Don't even get me started on how they load the dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

heather humphreys, she comes off as a ignorant b*tch that would try to shout you down in an argument. Probably doesn't know the meaning of being wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I hate ads supposedly voiced by someone French or German and its an Irish person putting on an 'Allo 'Allo accent.
    There's a New York deli meats ad with some Irish wan doing a woeful impression of a "Nooo Yaw-ick" accent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Applying for a job at the moment. It's been nearly half a decade since I updated my CV. So long that none of my publications are on it.

Anyways, the want someone who is innovative, investigative, creative, analytical, accurate, stress tolerant and client-focused and ideally fluent in Dutch.

I know what these words mean but I'd say I've a better chance of learning fluent Dutch in two days than conveying them.

It probably augurs poorly that a certain clip involving Michael Caine in Goldmember keeps coming to mind.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Industrial bin trucks..why the **** are they so loud?! I live in the city centre beside a popular restaurant but even during these Covid times when it only has a take away hatch open, the bin trucks come screeching along at all hours of the night.
    I have black out blinds and a wave machine in my room so its like a bat cave but every bloody night its like roadies setting up for a U2 gig. There are sirens and lights and inexplicable beeping noises. Why collect bins in the middle of the night anyway..why is it some covert operation only performed after dark and if it is in fact covert, then lower your blinking lights and turn the ****ing sirens off 😡🀬😡😠

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

A person on the radio earlier who stated
    “The decision was med”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    A person on the radio earlier who stated
    “The decision was med”

Hate that. There's a whole plethora of words where people have bastardised the vowel sounds. Like saying "then" instead of "than". E.g. he was older then her. There's loads more but TA I can't remember them now!

When you're following a decent thread and leave it for a day then go back and there are forty pages of people slinging mud at each other, accusing others of being paedophilia defenders, Holocaust deniers, strawmen, hyperbole and other general hysteria. As well as massive posts picking apart literally every point in what they've quoted. And sometimes they start out as mundane "what do you think of garden ponds" threads! :D

Quickly unfollow!

Antares35 wrote:
    When you're following a decent thread and leave it for a day then go back and there are forty pages of people slinging mud at each other, accusing others of being paedophilia defenders, Holocaust deniers, strawmen, hyperbole and other general hysteria. As well as massive posts picking apart literally every point in what they've quoted. And sometimes they start out as mundane "what do you think of garden ponds" threads!

Disingenuous....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Beffs wrote: »

Café Au Lait??

Antares35 wrote: »
    When you're following a decent thread and leave it for a day then go back and there are forty pages of people slinging mud at each other, accusing others of being paedophilia defenders, Holocaust deniers, strawmen, hyperbole and other general hysteria. As well as massive posts picking apart literally every point in what they've quoted. And sometimes they start out as mundane "what do you think of garden ponds" threads! :D

Quickly unfollow!

Proof?

You can't prove any of that.

On WFH, sitting here in my socks.

Somehow managed to run over the nail of my big toe while sitting in my office chair.

Much more painful than I would’ve guessed - and like stubbing your toe it’s your own fault really so can’t start roaring to make it better. Just have to quietly seethe over the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Things with 4 in a pack.

There's 5 of us in the family, which means buying 2 packs, and leaving 3 items over for next time. Then supplementing that with a new pack, and having 2 left over. Then another new pack, and one left over. Then next time adding a new pack, which uses them all. Then we start again. With perishable items, you can't have the spare ones hanging around.

6 in a pack would allow is to build up a surplus, or only have one go to waste. 2 or 3 in a pack would allow us to combine up to 6 easily. 4 packs are the most inefficient multiple pack possible.

Hey, it's my TA. I don't care about families of 4 or 6 or minus fifteen or a giga-bazillion. My TA is that food and goods multi-packs don't specifically cater for my situation, and I'm sticking to it.

Disingenuous....

Virtue signalling.

• Advertisement

Proof?

You can't prove any of that.

So you're saying that - wait... :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement