Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things Cat Trialvilly Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I agree regarding decency and consideration for any flatmates and neighbours.

I've never used a coffee machine and I don't know how noisy they are. I would think that a toilet flushing or an electric shower would be close enough to what one/you perhaps might consider excessive noise in that case.

And then there's floorboards/stairwells etc... Some are so poor that even a ninja wouldn't be able to sneak up on someone.

I believe in peaceful enjoyment of one's home. The way some on here share your opinion; if you want to live in a flat/apartment it's somewhat akin to being in a prison with all the restrictions imposed, especially the ones a person places upon themselves.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. No offence intended but I just think it's a fcuked up state of affairs and am pretty much amazed because it appears to be the general consensus.

Maybe it's because I grew up in the countryside and never had to take my neighbours into consideration if I wanted to do anything noisier than scratching myself when I was younger - family maybe, but that's about it.

I guess the majority of people grew up in built up areas so that's probably the reason they are gaslit/brainwashed into believing there's no other way of behaving/carrying on when indoors especially at nighttime. They most likely don't even consider soundproofing to be important. :(

Well, my coffee machine is what I consider noisy enough and makes the whole counter top vibrate, so I avoid using it before about 8am, just out of courtesy for the people on the other side of the wall and my flatmates (when they were here). It's totally non-essential and I don't mind using a coffee pot on the stove instead at what I consider anti-social hours. I definitely don't think toilet flushing and electric showers are noisy, no. They're also pretty essential, so it would be unreasonable to expect people not to do those things.

There's a pretty obvious difference between 'normal' household noise late at night - flushing toilets, creaking floorboards from walking normally, bathroom fan, and people having loud conversations. You get used to household noises and tune them out. Most people cannot tune out a conversation which is so loud they can hear every word. It's enormously distracting and irritating. It's not a constant, predictable noise like a shower or a fan. Conversation is one of the hardest things for most people to sleep through.

Let me be clear - I'm not overly sensitive to noise. I live over a very busy street with traffic and people at all hours, police helicopter overhead every other night, a train track nearby. I tune most of it out. If someone is keeping me awake talking, they are really being excessively, obnoxiously loud.

I lived in a detached house in a village for a lot of my life and didn't really have to worry about being quiet. I understood when I went to college and lived in halls that you need to take other people into consideration when you're in a more built up space with other people around. Some people are just selfish. Perhaps you've been 'brainwashed' into thinking you have the right to do whatever you want, whenever you want, without considering how it impacts others? If you live in a flat in a city just about anywhere in the world, you're always going to have to be quieter and more considerate of people than you would in a detached property. That's just how it works.

Maybe don't move to Switzerland BTW - it literally is illegal in some places there to flush your toilet or shower between certain hours or to mow your lawn on a Sunday. They take being considerate very seriously over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,430 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I have now learnt that senior mustang shelly has signed up for a third dating site, was born in the sixties, is freakishly tall and was an alcoholic 20 years ago.

Araggghhh!!!!!

The thick bitch signed up for a Cat Lovers dating site now :mad::rolleyes:

It won't allow me to change the email address but I changed her description of herself to a message telling her that she is to change the email address on all of the sites she has registered on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Not really trivial as such but Streetcat Bob has died today. James Bowen's books about how he met Bob and how they saved each other's lives are heartwarming. I'm sitting here with my own rescue cat on my lap shedding a tear for the loss of an incredible creature. :(

Well, my coffee machine is what I consider noisy enough and makes the whole counter top vibrate, so I avoid using it before about 8am, just out of courtesy for the people on the other side of the wall and my flatmates (when they were here). It's totally non-essential and I don't mind using a coffee pot on the stove instead at what I consider anti-social hours. I definitely don't think toilet flushing and electric showers are noisy, no. They're also pretty essential, so it would be unreasonable to expect people not to do those things.

There's a pretty obvious difference between 'normal' household noise late at night - flushing toilets, creaking floorboards from walking normally, bathroom fan, and people having loud conversations. You get used to household noises and tune them out. Most people cannot tune out a conversation which is so loud they can hear every word. It's enormously distracting and irritating. It's not a constant, predictable noise like a shower or a fan. Conversation is one of the hardest things for most people to sleep through.

Let me be clear - I'm not overly sensitive to noise. I live over a very busy street with traffic and people at all hours, police helicopter overhead every other night, a train track nearby. I tune most of it out. If someone is keeping me awake talking, they are really being excessively, obnoxiously loud.

I lived in a detached house in a village for a lot of my life and didn't really have to worry about being quiet. I understood when I went to college and lived in halls that you need to take other people into consideration when you're in a more built up space with other people around. Some people are just selfish. Perhaps you've been 'brainwashed' into thinking you have the right to do whatever you want, whenever you want, without considering how it impacts others? If you live in a flat in a city just about anywhere in the world, you're always going to have to be quieter and more considerate of people than you would in a detached property. That's just how it works.

Maybe don't move to Switzerland BTW - it literally is illegal in some places there to flush your toilet or shower between certain hours or to mow your lawn on a Sunday. They take being considerate very seriously over there.

I do keep it quiet in the night hours. It's the stifling nature of having to do so that's annoying and stressful as well. I'm gonna have to think of something to drown best as possible any "reasonable" sounds coming from my abode in the late/small hours - because even expected sounds like creaking floorboards are enough to draw the ire of neighbours less tolerant than your good self :D

Maybe a white noise machine or summit like that. I were thinking of one that maybe replicates the sound:confused: or lack of a kettle boiling on range if such a device exists. I know that the volume on telly had to be turned up an extra 15-20 notches if she (kettle that is) was steamin' when I were at home. The fake fireplace is often burning juice in me casa and not for temperature reasons. I can be as considerate as possible, yet be annoyed about it too.

I see you mentioned you have a stove - didn't know they had them in flats/apts or maybe you meant a hob. If it is a stove then I would have a kettle on the go most nights perhaps. I wouldn't trust them electric hobs for keeping an even temp.

Or maybe I'll move down a boreen somewhere 200 yards from next door neighbour.

Thanks Lainey for entertaining the convo but I haven't changed my opinion on peaceful enjoyment and the sub par infrastructure. I don't know about them Swiss. Think flushing the toilet after 9 in the pm is frowned upon over there :eek:. Doesn't even bear thinking about the possibilities in certain instances :mad: :D

All the best to you and may you and your neighbours find or keep the peace. Having good neighbours is good for one's health.. a friendly wave hello in the morning is better than been cursed from high Heaven.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Lainey, I couldn't agree with you more and empathize completely. Like you, I can tolerate street noise (I live in the city centre on a busy popular street - I knew what I was signing up for), washing machines, toilet flushing etc but I cannot abide inconsiderate flatmates or neighbours especially if it's noise related.
    It is so unfair and selfish that they are chatting like that after 11pm. They must know that you would be able to hear them but must just not care, either that or they are genuinely unaware and would feel terrible if they knew and would stop.
    My flatmate is so selfish. I've written about him on here as it happens...he's a 30 year old man who plays video games all day in his pajamas. We had a huge row when I brought it up. He drives me insane but thankfully by about 10pm I don't hear a peep. I would have a breakdown if he was noisy at night!

On thread....eh....my ta is I bought Aldi hummus and it's gross.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Having a nasty sibling who will throw whatever dirt they can at you in a bid to hurt you ☹️

signed up for a Cat Lovers dating site now :mad::rolleyes:

I swear to god it was not me

>_> <_<

:pac:

The bookies might be closed tomorrow.... What a joke - bloody obsession with dates and whatnot: oh it's supposed to be the 29th. I'm sickened moreso but for thread purposes am annoyed :mad:

Yet a bunch of hippy/SJW's/useful idiot types; as they are often referred can go on a protest/march about a flippin event that happened 4,000 miles away.

The real reason/s behind this group has nowt imo to do with rights/inclusion etc.. but more sinister reasons like sowing dissent... I could go on....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Araggghhh!!!!!

The thick bitch signed up for a Cat Lovers dating site now :mad::rolleyes:

It won't allow me to change the email address but I changed her description of herself to a message telling her that she is to change the email address on all of the sites she has registered on.

Are you sure it's a legitimate person and not someone pranking you... Setting up fake profiles and knowingly giving your email?.... Just a thought :)

Just shushed my neighbours as they got louder and louder at 1am when I'm up for work at 6 tomorrow. They then started complaining loudly about how unreasonable I am to expect silence when I have neighbours next door and they're 'just talking'.

Yes, that's right....the walls are so thin that they heard me go 'shhhhhh' from the next door flat but they don't think talking at the tops of their voices at 1am and later EVERY SINGLE NIGHT is a problem and I should just tolerate it.

Absolutely unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The lead for my phone keeps popping out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Ive boll***d another phone charger prong...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Letting Covid news scare the bejayzus outta me before bedtime.

My sleep pattern is bad enough as it is, then to introduce adrenaline to the equation :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

That’s the ‘auld Doob’ for you.Aaaahhh Jaysus...

Calling Frank Lampard, Frank Lambert.
    https://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.png
    Had a ‘solth of deee aaahert’ Doob introduce a lad (Italian)called Luigi.

“Did iss Luigi but we call him Louis!!!

Why don’t you call him Luigi you thick kernt, not that difficult.

Aaaaaargn.

The person I was giving out about was American so it's not just the 'auld Doobs' unfortunately. My surname isn't easy for non-English speaking people to say but if they give it a go I'm hardly going to get annoyed at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Treating myself to a new pair of shoes, taking the tags off and throwing away the packaging....then feeling a strong wave of buyers remorse. Damn. Never spending that much on shoes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Just shushed my neighbours as they got louder and louder at 1am when I'm up for work at 6 tomorrow. They then started complaining loudly about how unreasonable I am to expect silence when I have neighbours next door and they're 'just talking'.

Yes, that's right....the walls are so thin that they heard me go 'shhhhhh' from the next door flat but they don't think talking at the tops of their voices at 1am and later EVERY SINGLE NIGHT is a problem and I should just tolerate it.

Absolutely unbelievable.

Am so sorry you must endure such inconsideration. I've neighbours like this. If you even mention the issue, they act put upon and continue doing whatever they wish. It's so nice of folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,423 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nokotan wrote: »
    The person I was giving out about was American so it's not just the 'auld Doobs' unfortunately. My surname isn't easy for non-English speaking people to say but if they give it a go I'm hardly going to get annoyed at them.

I merely used the ‘auld Doob’ as the classic example,my friend.

Y’know, an auld lad from Phizzboro or Chapelizard or even Blancherstown.

So.... confusion over?

Where is your American friend domiciled........?

Chicargo?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Absolutely unbelievable.
    Try a bit of reverse psychology. Just join in their conversation. Hopefully they'll soon get fed up of your eavesdropping and be a bit quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Gooorrrrrr......D are investigating

Why do all RTÉ staff speak like this ? Must be in the interview

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Am so sorry you must endure such inconsideration. I've neighbours like this. If you even mention the issue, they act put upon and continue doing whatever they wish. It's so nice of folk.

Yeah, they literally sounded so affronted that I dared to shush them at 1am on a weekday, as if I was infringing on their rights. As if their right to chat absolute sh1te is greater than my right to get even six hours of unbroken sleep. This after two nights of almost no sleep because of them.

I would be absolutely mortified if I realised I'd been keeping someone awake for multiple nights. I'd immediately shut up and whisper or talk in another room from then onwards, and apologise profusely when I saw the person. Are some people just not taught that they're not the centre of the universe?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Try a bit of reverse psychology. Just join in their conversation. Hopefully they'll soon get fed up of your eavesdropping and be a bit quieter.

This is the solution. Better than playing the radio loud in the morning. In a strange way it's less confrontational but more annoying.

Making loud noises in the morning would only start a war

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

mikemac2 wrote: »

Yes, and pleeeece (police) as Sharon Ni Bheolain used to say when she was a newsreader. I notice other newsreaders adopting it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

mikemac2 wrote: »

I heard someone say "Gorr-Thee" once

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Very very trivial but... when filling in something online and as you start to type your email address, there's a message immediately telling you to put in a valid email address, before you have had a chance to input your full address.

Very trivially annoying..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Very very trivial but... when filling in something online and as you start to type your email address, there's a message immediately telling you to put in a valid email address, before you have had a chance to input your full address.

Very trivially annoying..

Aahhhh drives me trivially insane!!

People on Twitter who have in their bio 'She/Her' or 'He/him'.

Can I get off at the next spin of the earth please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

My TA is people who think you're a hypochondriac when you mention ANYTHING to do with any form of injury, soreness, ailment etc.

I've had a bad headache lately and my head throbs whenever I get up and go downstairs. I know well if I was to bring that up at home, this is what I'll get: "ah shut up take a paracetamol you'll be fine". I personally think I've got high blood pressure

I'm making an appointment with the doctor anyway but the whole attitude towards people who bring up the fact they're not feeling well in anyway, it's always "shut up you're overreacting".

This actually happened about 14 years ago when I broke my collarbone. I brought up the pain to my mother and she instantly told me "you're fine, you've just pulled a muscle" I complained the whole night about the pain and she got annoyed at me, I even asked her "what if it's broke?" and she told me I was a hypochondriac. The following day, she saw the discolouration in that part of my arm and brought me to the doctor. Sure enough, duh, broke. We laugh about it nowadays and it's my go-to rib when the opportunity arises.

But what is this awkwardness and sudden denial whenever someone brings up they're in pain? Why do we get so annoyed about it when we hear it from someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Phoenix32

My TA is people who think you're a hypochondriac when you mention ANYTHING to do with any form of injury, soreness, ailment etc.

I've had a bad headache lately and my head throbs whenever I get up and go downstairs. I know well if I was to bring that up at home, this is what I'll get: "ah shut up take a paracetamol you'll be fine". I personally think I've got high blood pressure

I'm making an appointment with the doctor anyway but the whole attitude towards people who bring up the fact they're not feeling well in anyway, it's always "shut up you're overreacting".

This actually happened about 14 years ago when I broke my collarbone. I brought up the pain to my mother and she instantly told me "you're fine, you've just pulled a muscle" I complained the whole night about the pain and she got annoyed at me, I even asked her "what if it's broke?" and she told me I was a hypochondriac. The following day, she saw the discolouration in that part of my arm and brought me to the doctor. Sure enough, duh, broke. We laugh about it nowadays and it's my go-to rib when the opportunity arises.

But what is this awkwardness and sudden denial whenever someone brings up they're in pain? Why do we get so annoyed about it when we hear it from someone?

You're right to get it checked out and I hope it's nothing serious.

My mother called me a hypochondriac for years, turns out I had Cystic Fibrosis :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Phoenix32 wrote: »
    You're right to get it checked out and I hope it's nothing serious.

My mother called me a hypochondriac for years, turns out I had Cystic Fibrosis :pac:

Pft! It's all in your head!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,423 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yes, and pleeeece (police) as Sharon Ni Bheolain used to say when she was a newsreader. I notice other newsreaders adopting it also.

M Wilson main offender.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I get very few voice phone calls, maybe two or three a day.

But no matter when family or friend rings, we start a chat and another call pops up. The second call is usually one which cannot be ignored as it will involve a client.
    If it happened the other way around I could ignore family and friend, continue with business call, and call back later.

I don't do office hours so don't confine family to non business hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement