Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a lens

Options
  • 13-04-2020 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking of doing a bit of macro photography and now I can get a Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS Macro HSM for a good price. I've read up on it and it only does a 0.41 close up rather than a full 1:1 macro. From what I've read, the lens itself is pretty good, and I like the almost 14x zoom too, so I suspect it would have multiple uses. Is it worth going for this, or should I spend quite a bit more to get a real macro lens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Check used equipment in the local shops. You’d probably get a dedicate macro for less than the cost of that sigma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Depending on what you consider a good price to be, you can get reversing filters to allow a lens get closer and do better macro work....might be an option for your current lenses.

It is always better to use a dedicated macro lens for the best results, when you do get going with macro.... lighting becomes an issue.

For canon you can get an older 100mm f2.8 macro lens for around €150/200 or a 50mm f2.5 macro for around the same ... I have used the various macro lenses offered by canon 180mm, mp-e65, 100mm, 50mm macro.... could never get into macro work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

I picked up a Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
    on adverts last year and i must say it is tack sharp paid €160 second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I picked up a Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro on adverts last year and i must say it is tack sharp paid €160 second hand

I have the same lens, and also find it excellent value for the money.
    I bought it second hand from KEH.
    (I've also had good luck with second hands lenses from srs Microsystems in the UK)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭pigeonhouse

As said above the canon 100mm f/2.8 macro is a great lens, the non L version is just as good without the extra price tag.

Advertisement