Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good cycling podcasts

Options
  • 13-04-2020 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

Doing longer sessions (2hrs) on turbo last couple of weeks and rather than listening to music have been trying podcasts.

Found chernobyl ones good but others such as some of the ted talks only ok.

Anyone any good cycling recommendations that can be found on Spotify?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

The Cycling Podcast is great. They have a variety of themes that they cover. My favourite has been the Explore series that they ran last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

lissard wrote: »
    The Cycling Podcast is great. They have a variety of themes that they cover. My favourite has been the Explore series that they ran last year.

Will look that up thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

I kinda like the "Watts Occurring " by Geraint Thomas, available on Spotify, but probably lots of other places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The Cycling Podcast as mentioned, now home to Mitch Docker too. ("Friend" subscription worth it too, imo, but you have to use something other than Spotify)

Flammecast

Ask a Cycling Coach (TrainerRoad) podcast

Re-cycle (Eurosport)

Never Strays Far (Ned Noulting and David Millar)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The Bike Show I find good, but it's very, very occasional:
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheBikeShow

There is a recent one, interview with Ian Walker. First podcast in a year.

• Advertisement

In normal times, there's the CyclingTips and Velonews podcasts too, but I haven't really listened too much since lockdown.

The Cycling News podcast is good too - they have had a few specials over the years - like on the rise of boonen, oscar freire, landis if you're willing to scroll through/ go on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I know I am not supposed to like it but The Move on FB (can download ) with Lance Armstrong , et al is very entertaining

Talking about classic races of a by gone era

Haven't listened the recent "The Move" episodes, but during last years Giro, where it was mainly Bruyneel rather than Armstrong was very good. Like Riis, clearly more to them tactically than just doping.

A bit off topic, but there's been a few discussions on the TrainerRoad podcast about Cognitive load - since starting zwifting rather than just TrainerRoad, I'm really struggling with podcasts. Had to replay a few as I wasn't taking anything in, and switched to music, even where I was just letting the turbo be controlled by TrainerRoad and Zwift was just moving wall paper for XP's!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

Doing longer sessions (2hrs) on turbo last couple of weeks and rather than listening to music have been trying podcasts.

Found chernobyl ones good but others such as some of the ted talks only ok.

Anyone any good cycling recommendations that can be found on Spotify?

Velocast.cc. Some esoteric stuff, but amusing. All of these podcasts are suffering to some extent or another because of the lack of racing.

R

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Haven't listened the recent "The Move" episodes, but during last years Giro, where it was mainly Bruyneel rather than Armstrong was very good. Like Riis, clearly more to them tactically than just doping.

Bruyneel is very good. If you bet on his predictions so far you'd be well in the money in this year's TDF. He is uncanny in predicting how a stage will play out.

Armstrong is ok - self-references himself a lot these days as the "I know people think that I'm a prick" persona.

The % of time of the podcast though that is spent on pushing products - you have to have your finger on the fast-forward icon a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

MPFGLB wrote: »
    I know I am not supposed to like it but The Move on FB (can download ) with Lance Armstrong , et al is very entertaining

Talking about classic races of a by gone era

The Move used to be good. It used to be called Stages or something. Can't remember. Anyway, it's nothing now but a long advert. There's more product placement than there is cycling discussion

Bruyneel does a podcast though that is absolutely brilliant. His analysis and insight is unreal. Well worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

G1032 wrote: »
    The Move used to be good. It used to be called Stages or something. Can't remember. Anyway, it's nothing now but a long advert. There's more product placement than there is cycling discussion

Bruyneel does a podcast though that is absolutely brilliant. His analysis and insight is unreal. Well worth checking out

I agree the Move is just one long ad break

Can you send a link to Bruyneel's podcast please

it's in same listing as the Move

called "Tdf Preview show with Johan and JB"

you will still have to fast-fwd through ads, just not as many as with the main Armstrong one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

Found just where glasso says but there's just one ad right at the beginning of each podcast that you can skip through

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Yes link ?

Yes link ?

you search for it in any podcast or streaming app

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

The lantern rouge holds a good podcast. YouTube and Spotify. Also doing some TDF for it itv4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just to add to the selection 'Roadman Cycling' has a few interesting podcasts in his library.

Just going to bump The Cycling Podcast. I've found it really good this Tour. It always is, but it's nearly better for them not being in the press bubble!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I'm currently addicted to Mitch Docker's Life in the Peloton podcast. Working my way through the old episodes up to his current bite-sized 'Talking Luft' episodes. For the past 6 months or so I think his full length episodes are included in The Cycling Podcast podcast.

In a nutshell - it's a current pro talking with fellow pros and various other people directly involved in the pro-cycling scene. He's got a really good technique for someone from outside the journalist/ media school, and brings out some great insights. Very light hearted, but he takes the concept seriously and so they are well produced. His best ones are like listening to two friends just chatting away. The Mike Woods and Mat Hayman episodes are super.

All thriller, no filler! Recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

+1 on Mitch Docker
    He had a really interesting one recently where he inteviewed his boss Jonathan Vaughters - gave a great insight into what it takes to run a World Tour team.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Lance Armstrong’s Stages / The Move has gone to the dogs big time compared to previous years when it was great

Way too much advertising . My god the Americans and probably the rest of the world are very very materialistic .

George Hincappie offers great insight on racing . Johann Brunel despite everything is regularly spot on and an interesting person - last years tour he did his own race specific segment and it was brilliant (I know he’s doing it again but haven’t heard it) . The co host who wasn’t a pro is a decent moderator and keeps control of the flow of the discussion . Lance on the other hand , whether it’s intentional or not, seems to be a bit clueless about cycling , offers zero insight and rather be talking about some fanny pack or some app helping him sleep . I don’t recall him being that bad when it was just him and the no pro when they covered all the seasons races .

Cycling podcast is probably consistently the best one. A little dry in the humour stakes but they know their stuff . Listen to that all season . They get good guests on and actually offer information about the route and location and it’s history . I could see those lads being well up to do a travel show for BBC

Eurosport Wiggins Show . It’s not bad . Wiggins can be hard to take sometimes but he can be funny , very funny. Again, good detail (least pre Covid ) the GCN /ex GCN guys seem to be all over the media world ie Matt Stephens and Dan Llyodd (nothing wrong with that) I cringe a little when it always comes back to 2012 but sure, it’s his show and he does interest us about the stories behind it

Then there’s our own Anthony Walsh. His YouTube show A1 racing was good craic and focused a bit on the domestic scene . Way less polished than say Cycling Podcast but that’s why I liked it . Walsh is doing a Road Man podcast which is a mix of racing review , training tips and his “rants” (his words) on his pet subjects like group ridding (rather good one) He can be found at Spotify

GCN - YouTube and other places . (Many of us now how unlimited data on your phones so easier to watch without WiFi issues ) Yikes they came moved so far from humble origins , kudos to them. Training videos were great but and they have brought in many likeable presenters over the years. Our own Conor Dunne is a complete natural !! But becoming a long advertisement . Still tune in when I can

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

The lantern rouge holds a good podcast. YouTube and Spotify. Also doing some TDF for it itv4

I find it a bit childish at times. 4 grown men acting like giggly school boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,180 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just going to bump The Cycling Podcast. I've found it really good this Tour. It always is, but it's nearly better for them not being in the press bubble!

It's pretty good but sometimes have trouble understanding them. It feels like they are all talking at different sound levels or something.

Is there any Irish or British based podcast out there similar to guardian football weekly or Jimbos totally football show ?

In normal times, there's the CyclingTips and Velonews podcasts too, but I haven't really listened too much since lockdown.

The Cycling News podcast is good too - they have had a few specials over the years - like on the rise of boonen, oscar freire, landis if you're willing to scroll through/ go on their website.

Thanks for the heads up on that . I watched a lot of their stuff on the YouTube channel

Huge fan on BoOnen and Phil Gilbert but all their good YouTube stuff is in Flemish without subtitles

Not a cycling themed podcast , but Eamonn Dunphys The Stand is good. He’s always been decent - excellent with interviewing non football people and sure , if he pisses you off with something he said that will fill the rage meter when coming to max sprints

Joe Rogan is also a safe option too

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It's pretty good but sometimes have trouble understanding them. It feels like they are all talking at different sound levels or something.

Is there any Irish or British based podcast out there similar to guardian football weekly or Jimbos totally football show ?

Anthony Walsh had A1 show on YouTube (Many people have unlimited data on their phones so YouTube is always an option I guess ) for a few years. It was great and covered the domestic scene

He now has Roadman Podcast . Haven’t heard a lot of it yet but what I heard is good .

Surprised that the gang behind sticky bottle (or is that a one man band?) has not done something yet (maybe they have , if so, where ? )

breezy1985 wrote: »

Long time since I've listened to The Guardian's football weekly (Richardson was probably still on it), but I'd say The Cycling Podcast is the nearest to it?

But yes, sometimes the audio can be low - never had a problem with headphones, but definitely one of the stages this year I struggled listening on the TV (albeit with both airmovers going).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,180 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Long time since I've listened to The Guardian's football weekly (Richardson was probably still on it), but I'd say The Cycling Podcast is the nearest to it?

But yes, sometimes the audio can be low - never had a problem with headphones, but definitely one of the stages this year I struggled listening on the TV (albeit with both airmovers going).

I have often tried listening late at night when others are in bed and some of the panel are to low and muffled.

Both Richardson and Glendenning are into cycling so it would be nice to see them back together for a TdF podcast

• Advertisement

Glendenning was the reason I stopped listening to the Guardian football one.

Advertisement