Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Agree On The Main strip of Banna being the Main issue.

Whenever we do go to Banna we normally go to Banna 3 and head down a bit.

Same here, its too busy in the summer anyway! Its not a beach I like to go to during peak summer time, nevermind when we are trying to social distance! Last time I was even there was Mother's day in March and it was packed. We drove straight back out and went down the back road and walked through the sand dunes etc out to the quiet part of the beach. The beaches were shut down a few days later!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Quackster wrote: »
    With Banna, it's mostly just the small strip adjacent to the main car park.

Which leaves the other 90% free for anyone who isn't a lazy sod.

That’s all well and good but if you have kids that like to swim or like a swim yourself you can only swim between the flags where lifeguards or on duty.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Same here, its too busy in the summer anyway! Its not a beach I like to go to during peak summer time, nevermind when we are trying to social distance! Last time I was even there was Mother's day in March and it was packed. We drove straight back out and went down the back road and walked through the sand dunes etc out to the quiet part of the beach. The beaches were shut down a few days later!
    It doesn't help when the tide is in either. It would help a lot if folk checked the tide times in advance and, where possible, try to avoid high tide.

I'm lucky in that I usually go to the beach for long walks and do so in the evening when it's much quieter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

FWIW was in Killarney yesterday, fair number of people wearing masks in public. Went shopping in Dingle as well, majority indoors were wearing masks. So, progress is being made.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

No sign of those cases on Kerry numbers again today. They may be from outside of Kerry so on their county list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

No sign of those cases on Kerry numbers again today. They may be from outside of Kerry so on their county list?

Those cases were hospitalized patients afaik ... that shouldn't affect the county number when hospitalized from anywhere in the county

weisses wrote: »
    Those cases were hospitalized patients afaik ... that shouldn't affect the county number when hospitalized from anywhere in the county

but if they are confirmed cases then should they not be added to the figures? Kerry hasn't had any confirmed cases this week.

And not in today's figures either - more mysteriously still, none of the Munster counties have seen many additional cases this week, so must presume they were visitors from Dublin.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The Dingle Bar announced they had someone in yesterday with Covid, so have closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Newtown90

beertons wrote: »
    The Dingle Bar announced they had someone in yesterday with Covid, so have closed.

Nope, they announced it was a suspected case and they closed the door.

They've since tested negative.

"To put everyone's mind at ease, we would like to release this short statement.

In the past 24 hours, we have had a suspected Covid-19 case on the premises. When it was brought to our attention, we immediately closed our doors yesterday, as a precautionary measure in the interest of our family, our hard working staff and our fantastic customers.

Thankfully, for both our business and the person in question and their family, the test has returned negative and we are safely reopening for business as of now at the clearance of the HSE.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank the Dingle Medical Centre for their fantastic swift action, the unbelievable staff at the Kerry General Hospital for the constant life saving hard work, and the HSE for acting swiftly and decisively and returning the results within 24 hours. They really don't get enough credit for what they do!

Since we reopened we have been constantly adhering to all the rules and regulations put in place by the medical professionals and the government. We will ALWAYS put the health of our staff, customers and family over profit and so we took no chances, and to reiterate, we will not take any chances. This virus is not something to be taken lightly and we urge everyone to do the same.

We are delighted to be reopening today and we are looking forward to seeing you all again soon. As always, we appreciate all of your support and well wishes and we urge you to always remember to look out for each other. As the figures drop each day, we urge you not to become complacent, in fact we urge you to be extra cautious. We are all in this together, and we must all do whatever we have to, to prevent the return of the peak of Covid-19.

Thank you all and best wishes from all of us at The Dingle Pub ☘️🇮🇪

Tom, Susan, Susie, David & Ciara"

1 confirmed case of Covid19 in Kerry today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

but if they are confirmed cases then should they not be added to the figures? Kerry hasn't had any confirmed cases this week.

The 2 cases were related to admission into hospital ..that doesn't automatically mean the total number goes up ,, They could be confirmed cases from earlier who subsequently went into hospital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Looks like some resident/residents of Skellig Star have started a hunger strike in an attempt to have the place closed down.

A rather unusual approach.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Went to KGH on the 13th, and was swabbed for Covid (seems to be automatic procedure, as admitted for an unrelated issue) - took until today (31st) for the negative confirmation to arrive, after being posted yesterday!

Went to KGH on the 13th, and was swabbed for Covid (seems to be automatic procedure, as admitted for an unrelated issue) - took until today (31st) for the negative confirmation to arrive, after being posted yesterday!

Crap! yet another confirmation that test results in Kerry are pathetically late. This is more recent that what I heard in late June (various food-industry involved folks saying it took weeks to get results)

<sarcasm> I know! Alert the Healy-Raes </sarcasm>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I would imagine (hope!) that priority is given to returning the results to those presenting with symptoms or close contacts of confirmed cases.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I would imagine (hope!) that priority is given to returning the results to those presenting with symptoms or close contacts of confirmed cases.

Why should there be a need for prioritization? Is there anything in the media stating they're near capacity? We have a surplus of capacity. Perhaps we need competence more than capacity. No excuse for 18 day turnaround. Nonsense. HSE failure is my guess. (It's my usual guess.)

How fast are people getting results from the drive in test centre in Ballymullen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

How fast are people getting results from the drive in test centre in Ballymullen?

Is that where the new test centre is? I saw the shut up shop at south campus in the last few weeks.

• Advertisement

Thankfully, the national clusters appear to have bypassed us, though given the figures for Clare and Limerick yesterday and on Thursday, we can't afford any complacency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,064 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That is too long a wait, glad all good and negative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭wonga77

My mother took a covid test 2 days pre a procedure and had results back via text within a few short hours, that was about 10 days ago.
    that was in the Bons

wonga77 wrote: »
    My mother took a covid test 2 days pre a procedure and had results back via text within a few short hours, that was about 10 days ago.
    that was in the Bons

Do the experts at the HSE publish their test turnaround time anywhere? Keeping us all apprised as to their sterling management of the Pandemic through open, transparent communication?

Or, are they fumbling along just waiting for an eventual inquiry when they'll publish lessons learned and be ready for the next time as they'll have fully absorbed those lessons and made the systemic changes needed to get it right?

Not.

I know someone whose young child had to have a test on Friday lunchtime, just to rule it out, and as of this evening (sunday) they are still waiting for results.

that was in the Bons

My nephew was the same, also in the Bons.

1 new case of covid19 reported for Keeey today. Now at 318. Shame when we were doing well again.

I wonder what part of Kerry it was in.

In fairness only 1 recent case is very good considering the influx of visitors the last couple of weeks. According to rte only 13 people in the country are being treated in hospitals. As a whole we're doing very well with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

In fairness only 1 recent case is very good considering the influx of visitors the last couple of weeks. According to rte only 13 people in the country are being treated in hospitals. As a whole we're doing very well with it

Given the time it takes to develop symptoms plus the turn-around time for tests, I wouldn't be celebrating just yet. The current low hospital numbers are to do with the age profile of those getting infected.

Also based on what I saw around Killarney there was a fairly significant jump in terms of visitors over the last week/weekend compared to previous weeks, especially in terms of overseas visitors - I noticed a big increase in UK and Euro regs around the place. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be many Yanks around.

I would be very surprised (and delighted) if the number of cases in Kerry doesn't rise over the next 2/3 weeks.

• Advertisement

I see the point but we're hearing about this for so long now. The surge didn't come after the busy weekends at easter or june bank holiday that everyone was predicting. South Kerry has been crazy busy the last few weeks and I haven't heard of anything down this way for a good while.

Just looking at the numbers there, Dublin accounts for almost 50% of all cases. Only 6 counties have less cases than Kerry. The lack of cases in Galway is interesting, for such a big county that has so much tourism they have done very well to have lower numbers than most.

I feel like I'm saying this forever at this stage but the next week or so will tell us an awful lot about what direction we're headed

Advertisement