Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭dobman88

I think everyone has a bee in their bonnet about the gaa and rightly so. Time and time again they have come across as a money grabbing association.

And now in the middle of a global pandemic they kick off about people not being let return to games.

People are allowed to return. We have been training, playing and following every bit of advice and guidelines the govt have given us. Again, no club will be making money with no spectators so money grabbing makes no sense. Unless you're talking about the suits in croke park who are so far removed from the grass roots game they're not to be taken seriously anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

not a expert but gaa is in every house and parish in the country , got a big following .

regardless , do you think it is responsible in all fairness to have 40 players bumping , pulling ,dragging off each other ?
    and then go back home or into the work place , totally unacceptable i think .

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I think everyone has a bee in their bonnet about the gaa and rightly so. Time and time again they have come across as a money grabbing association.

And now in the middle of a global pandemic they kick off about people not being let return to games.
    There is an arrogance/ignorance amongst some, particularly in more rural areas, that the GAA deserves the total devotion of all pure-blooded Irish people. And you're not really a part of your local community, unless you're involved in your local GAA club. These people can't seem to grasp that there are many other sports out there that some people actually prefer.

But I fully support all sports, including contact sports, being back (but without spectators and rightly so). This is all about managing risk now and the benefits of sport for young healthy people (actually doing it, not sitting on your ass watching it) well outweigh the risks of catching covid.

kerry cow wrote: »
    not a expert but gaa is in every house and parish in the country , got a big following .

regardless , do you think it is responsible in all fairness to have 40 players bumping , pulling ,dragging off each other ?
    and then go back home or into the work place , totally unacceptable i think .

Your description is quite extreme. I had a game this morning and the most time I spent in "close contact" with another player was just the lad I was marking. Anything else in play is just running past a fella. So that's a close contact of 1 while playing a 60 minute match. That's not bad imo.

I agree the top brass look very petty and are over stepping their mark by asking the CMO to meet them. Keep the head down and keep doing what we have been doing. Clubs by and large have been shutting down their activities if they have a case or suspected case. We also told any lad on our team, if they didnt feel comfortable and didnt want to come back that we would understand and nothing more would be said about it. People have to be responsible and I am seeing that in my own club and clubs we have played so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

I have made my point and will leave it at that , I just hope the GAA are not responsible for bring home a disease to a elder or to a child or work colleague ,that results in a death ,
    really we all need to heed precaution and do only what we need to do ,in our to get through this crisis , that will probably be with us for another year .
    stop been irresponsible and sure any one can qualify any situation once it suits them selves .

• Advertisement

I have made my point and will leave it at that , I just hope the GAA are not responsible for bring home a disease to a elder or to a child or work colleague ,that results in a death ,
    really we all need to heed precaution and do only what we need to do ,in our to get through this crisis , that will probably be with us for another year .
    stop been irresponsible and sure any one can qualify any situation once it suits them selves .

The gaa, fai and irfu. Since all sports are back :rolleyes:

Everyone has to take personal responsibility and apply common sense at the end of the day.

If you, or a family member, are in a high-risk category, then you need to evaluate all interactions you plan to engage in and act appropriately - be it sporting, leisure, work, schools or indeed even trips to the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I really think that any team sports player with a vulnerable family member will have already dicussed the covid transmission risk situation before resuming playing/training with their family or parents will have made a decision that is right for their individual family/household.
    The greater risk is being overweight and unhealthy. Scientists and doctors are pointing out in resesrch obesity is a high risk factor. So follow the guidelines especially before and after matches/training and dont be afraid to miss a session and contact your GP/club if feeling unwell.
    We cannot rid all risk from life just minumize it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I read last night that there has been some Clarification regarding a Parent or guardian not being allowed to be at their child's training or match and it turns out 1 person can be with the child but they have to of course social distance and they must stay away from pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I would presume for child health/protection reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

dobman88 wrote:
    Unless you're talking about the suits in croke park who are so far removed from the grass roots game they're not to be taken seriously anyway.

Yes it's the top dogs in croke park I was referring to. I'm back playing sports myself and have absolutely no issue with the sports returning. However we need to get used to the fact that spectators need to stay away in the long run . I think even the premier league have got it wrong allowing fans to return in October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

dobman88 wrote: »
    Your description is quite extreme. I had a game this morning and the most time I spent in "close contact" with another player was just the lad I was marking. Anything else in play is just running past a fella. So that's a close contact of 1 while playing a 60 minute match. That's not bad imo.

I agree the top brass look very petty and are over stepping their mark by asking the CMO to meet them. Keep the head down and keep doing what we have been doing. Clubs by and large have been shutting down their activities if they have a case or suspected case. We also told any lad on our team, if they didnt feel comfortable and didnt want to come back that we would understand and nothing more would be said about it. People have to be responsible and I am seeing that in my own club and clubs we have played so far.

Am I reading this right?

You played a football match and the only person you were in close contact with was one player and he wasn't in close contact with anyone else for the entire match?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

speckle wrote: »
    I would presume for child health/protection reasons.

I would say so yes. I was thinking this wasn't right when it was first announced last week. I wouldn't have been happy to leave my 4 year old.

Am I reading this right?

You played a football match and the only person you were in close contact with was one player and he wasn't in close contact with anyone else for the entire match?

Yes, we were marking each other for the whole game. As I said, any other time spent next to someone else is a split second or 2 when you're going past them.

A close contact is considered to be someone you spend 15mins or more face to face with and less than 2 metres apart. I can safely say I didnt get that close to any other player for that amount of time this morning.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yes, we were marking each other for the whole game. As I said, any other time spent next to someone else is a split second or 2 when you're going past them.

A close contact is considered to be someone you spend 15mins or more face to face with and less than 2 metres apart. I can safely say I didnt get that close to any other player for that amount of time this morning.

Thanks dobman for that explanation of what a "close contact" is.

I actually had no idea that it was at least 15 minutes, everyday is a school day.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Its creeping up again in Kerry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Its creeping up again in Kerry :(

Place has been blitzed with tourists, amazed we've not jumped more and sooner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

Genuine question from someone who is thinking of going to the Kingdom to travel around for a week or so. Would you prefer if tourists stayed away or came for a holiday. Of course all precautions would be followed. Thank you.

clickhere wrote: »
    Genuine question from someone who is thinking of going to the Kingdom to travel around for a week or so. Would you prefer if tourists stayed away or came for a holiday. Of course all precautions would be followed. Thank you.

Why would you care what a random person on the internet thinks? You say you'll be following all precautions. Go for your holiday and enjoy it.

• Advertisement

Once the kids are gone back to school you'll have the place to yourself.

I expect we have but the reporting system means any cases here in people not from here get reported in the figures for their counties of residence instead.

As long as you're not from Kildare or another area while it's under lockdown, or are in a period when you're required to quarantine or self-isolate, then you're more than welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Just drove past nagael and the doors were opened . A good few cars parked outside and looked to be a rugby game on the big screen .

Wonder what that's all about ...

Stacks v Crokes game was on TG4 at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

7 suspect cases in UHK - obviously, most will be negative, but the highest such figure in a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

7 suspect cases in UHK - obviously, most will be negative, but the highest such figure in a good while.

Why do you think most will be negative? I hope you're right, of course, but if someone is sick enough for hospital admission with severe Covid symptoms I think it's a pretty safe bet that the Docs have seen enough of this virus by now to have good cause to classify it as suspected Covid pending test results. Hopefully they'll get the test results quickly.

I wish all 7 make a speedy and full recovery whatever the cause of their illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Why do you think most will be negative? I hope you're right, of course, but if someone is sick enough for hospital admission with severe Covid symptoms I think it's a pretty safe bet that the Docs have seen enough of this virus by now to have good cause to classify it as suspected Covid pending test results. Hopefully they'll get the test results quickly.

I wish all 7 make a speedy and full recovery whatever the cause of their illness.

So, where did they originate from? I wonder if that clusterfcuk in Dublin included locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Igotadose wrote: »
    So, where did they originate from? I wonder if that clusterfcuk in Dublin included locals.

I have no doubt it did but it's too recent for them to be symtomatic. It takes 5 to 14 days from infection to show symptoms and longer again to get sick enough to require hospitalisation. That particular bomb is yet to detonate but be assured, it will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I have no doubt it did but it's too recent for them to be symtomatic. It takes 5 to 14 days from infection to show symptoms and longer again to get sick enough to require hospitalisation. That particular bomb is yet to detonate but be assured, it will.

Can you give us a link to what you are referring to please:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

BPKS wrote: »
    Can you give us a link to what you are referring to please:confused:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crowds-people-take-streets-dublin-22562571

Advertisement