Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

There has been gossip around here locally for the last few days of 6 new cases in Kenmare, but I bet the same gossip is happening in every village (just replace Kenmare with the relevant bordering town).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Unfortunately there's a woman from Tralee in ICU with covid. I hope she recovers, but apparently she's quite seriously ill :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Ciarrai76 wrote:
    Unfortunately there's a woman from Tralee in ICU with covid. I hope she recovers, but apparently she's quite seriously ill

When you read that and see those let my child breath morons it would make you want to plough into their protests. Only problem is I wouldn't want to damage my car .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Some improvement today, in that Kerry isn't one of the counties where individual numbers are mentioned:

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/e1b43-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-saturday-26-september/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Some improvement today, in that Kerry isn't one of the counties where individual numbers are mentioned:

Why do they do that . 23 spread across the remaining counties etc. Why is it so difficult to give each county

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Don't know if it ever got a mention on here, but there was a child from St. Oliver's who tested positive. Was sent home on first day of school when they started coughing and tested positive two/three days later. No other members of the child's family tested positive, and it wasn't passed on to anyone else in the school as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Don't know if it ever got a mention on here, but there was a child from St. Oliver's who tested positive. Was sent home on first day of school when they started coughing and tested positive two/three days later. No other members of the child's family tested positive, and it wasn't passed on to anyone else in the school as far as I know.

That's says school and family got it right in terms of hygiene etc. Just goes to show it's worth following guidelines

Hope the child is doing alright.

They posted this today saying there were no positive tests:

https://www.stolivers.ie/news/400-covid-19

Have I got the wrong school ?

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    They posted this today saying there were no positive tests:

https://www.stolivers.ie/news/400-covid-19

Have I got the wrong school ?

No, that's the school. Is that from today? Aside from your post I can't actually find it on the website.

Anyway that's strange, because I was told by a staff member who the child was, that they'd recovered and since returned to school. What I was told is that they were sent home almost as soon as they arrived to school on the first day, so maybe they chose not to include it as a school case cause they were in school such a short amount of time? Because it's almost certainly true as my source is reliable.

No, that's the school. Is that from today? Aside from your post I can't actually find it on the website.

All I did is google "Saint Olivers Covid" and that was the first result, as you say its strange as its not linked from the school website. Maybe its a URL sent out in an email, I don't know, but it looks like its dated today, but I think it might be a red herring, as it also has the line "At this point, there are only a limited number of confirmed cases of Covid-19 infection nationally".

I wonder if we check the page tomorrow it will have tomorrows date ?

Given the source of you info I would suggest its more likely to be accurate than this very odd page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Anyway that's strange, because I was told by a staff member who the child was, that they'd recovered and since returned to school. What I was told is that they were sent home almost as soon as they arrived to school on the first day, so maybe they chose not to include it as a school case cause they were in school such a short amount of time? Because it's almost certainly true as my source is reliable.

This should not be happening. Very unprofessional.

It appears to be a single message linked in emails sent to parents. In the URL if you change the number "400" to "401" you get the next parents message. The date shown next to the message is not the date of the message, its todays date. Message 402 is titled "School Closure Update 12th March 2020", so the message I posted was likely first week of March despite it showing todays date.

Detective work over, maybe your friend might want to suggest to the school that they make a simple change to the code of the message to stop emails to school parents being indexed by search engines... makes interesting reading though.

Edit: I am still reading them up to email 439 now, they really should change this its very sloppy from a data protection perspective.

Sorry for the distraction !

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    It appears to be a single message linked in emails sent to parents. In the URL if you change the number "400" to "401" you get the next parents message. The date shown next to the message is not the date of the message, its todays date. Message 402 is titled "School Closure Update 12th March 2020", so the message I posted was likely first week of March despite it showing todays date.

Detective work over, maybe your friend might want to suggest to the school that they make a simple change to the code of the message to stop emails to school parents being indexed by search engines... makes interesting reading though.

Edit: I am still reading them up to email 439 now, they really should change this its very sloppy from a data protection perspective.

Sorry for the distraction !

Don't think it's anything to with emails to parents? I found your original link in the 'News' section, it's on page 6 which is why I wasn't able to originally see it.

Anyway, good that their (presumably) first case was dealt with swiftly and effectively, let's hope other schools will be as good when they inevitably happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Knockeen

I don’t think teachers should name child but certainly everyone locally knew the details and the child had travelled from abroad and the 14 day isolation was not adhered to. The School procedures and quick thinking and prompt action of the teacher is what prevented spread in this case.

430 new cases today, none in Kerry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

4 cases in Kerry, 390 nationally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

FWIW got our influenza vaccines today at the pharmacy, seems per the pharmacist the government's pushing hard to get as many people vaccinated as they can.

Igotadose wrote: »
    FWIW got our influenza vaccines today at the pharmacy, seems per the pharmacist the government's pushing hard to get as many people vaccinated as they can.

Would not expect anything else given your name...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Our GP's answer phone has said they are out of stock, no restock estimate given. Pharmacy's might be a better bet.

Adiboo wrote: »
    Our GP's answer phone has said they are out of stock, no restock estimate given. Pharmacy's might be a better bet.

Since the 'stock' apparently was distributed *today* or yesterday, I'd wonder about the story the GP is giving you. Sounds like a blow-off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

Igotadose wrote:
    Since the 'stock' apparently was distributed *today* or yesterday, I'd wonder about the story the GP is giving you. Sounds like a blow-off.

GP's are still hiding under their desks since last march ,
    let everybody else front line it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Got my Dad's last week at the GP. They sent me a text stating limited stock was in and they were running 3 45 minute walk in clinics a week. Got his done that day of the text. Their stock ran out after the second walk in clinic. They are simply not getting enough stock sent to them but at least they targeted vulnerable people with the text. I can't understand why elderly are expected to go to the gp for it. The jab should be delivered by the PH nurses instead of the elderly having to travel and mix and sit in gp waiting rooms

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Got my Dad's last week at the GP. They sent me a text stating limited stock was in and they were running 3 45 minute walk in clinics a week. Got his done that day of the text. Their stock ran out after the second walk in clinic. They are simply not getting enough stock sent to them but at least they targeted vulnerable people with the text. I can't understand why elderly are expected to go to the gp for it. The jab should be delivered by the PH nurses instead of the elderly having to travel and mix and sit in gp waiting rooms

The day the HSE gets something right will be a first. This shouldn't be that hard. Having an oversupply of flu vaccine for this particular flu season should have been in the plans.

Hard to believe they didn't distribute enough, but then again, HSE...

Now this is an interesting read!

Opinion: does anthropology hold the answer to why the Kingdom has seen fewer infections than elsewhere in the country?
    https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2020/0928/1168032-kerry-covid-19-infections-blood-type-anthropology/?fbclid=IwAR0aNZuX8udWvJKusnHJZeqi-qiWRFIqv0vXt2X22B3mmm7vYKiprCFTFjs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,067 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How much is it in the pharmacy?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    How much is it in the pharmacy?

Actually don't know -we're in the at risk group so it was free. Last year they didn't ask and it was 20 Euros I think.

Even with today's 4 cases, Kerry's 14-day average is only bettered by Leitrim:

https://twitter.com/nextirishge/status/1311417552506171392

Even with today's 4 cases, Kerry's 14-day average is only bettered by Leitrim:

https://twitter.com/nextirishge/status/1311417552506171392

It's actually amazing, and particularly with how busy the place was during the summer. Would love to know how it's being achieved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

It's actually amazing, and particularly with how busy the place was during the summer. Would love to know how it's being achieved.

Think a lot of locals avoided their own towns and villages during tourist season. Doesn't account for everything but it helped. Others obv had no choice if employed in services/tourism etc but a lot of eateries are well laid out.

More private cars running than public transport for commute to work and less population density a help but other rural counties have that too.

Maybe its genetic as RTÉ claimed (jokes) :)

Advertisement