Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

theguzman wrote: »
    I know close to certain it was here based on symptomatology and how my own elderly father was at the time with a mystery illness and many others around. The HSE still hasn't much of a grip on what is happening now and the anecdotal evidence is enough for me.

Again, absolutely no chance whatsoever, if it had been here in December...by the end of Christmas we'd have had thousands dead and the hospitals overflowing...approx 2 months later is correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,234 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Again, absolutely no chance whatsoever, if it had been here in December...by the end of Christmas we'd have had thousands dead and the hospitals overflowing...approx 2 months later is correct

You getting a bit carried away there with your figures, more than a bit actually.

I tend to believe it's quite possible it was here before Christmas, a friend of mine is very rarely sick and before Christmas he was laid low with something that in hindsight had all the symptoms of Covid 19.

The same guy is very hardy with a high threshold for pain and he was laid low to the point he couldn't use a shovel and had to go home to bed for a week. Now he has a wife and kids at home and none of them caught it but that happens with Covid too. When news came that the virus was here in Ireland he immediately said that was what he had in December.

It's hard to know but I certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

You getting a bit carried away there with your figures, more than a bit actually.

I tend to believe it's quite possible it was here before Christmas, a friend of mine is very rarely sick and before Christmas he was laid low with something that in hindsight had all the symptoms of Covid 19.

The same guy is very hardy with a high threshold for pain and he was laid low to the point he couldn't use a shovel and had to go home to bed for a week. Now he has a wife and kids at home and none of them caught it but that happens with Covid too. When news came that the virus was here in Ireland he immediately said that was what he had in December.

It's hard to know but I certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

Since the WHO & medical experts say so, I'll take that instead of your buddy and his shovel....
    Funny how we had cases in Ireland before there was even a registered case in Wuhan isn't it. Did we export the bats to China?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Since the WHO & medical experts say so, I'll take that instead of your buddy and his shovel....
    Funny how we had cases in Ireland before there was even a registered case in Wuhan isn't it. Did we export the bats to China?

I'd believe a man with a shovel before anything that comes out of China or their WHO lackeys, the same China that immediately locked down Hubei province and barred all internal flights but left international flights go ahead to spread it out of China into the rest of the world. Sewage specimens have found covid19 months before it was identified and the death toll in China is far far higher than the official figure. Basically everything out of China is lies, these communist scumbags are even using the poor Uiygars to pick cotton as slaves now.

I'd believe a man with a shovel before anything that comes out of China or their WHO lackeys, the same China that immediately locked down Hubei province and barred all internal flights but left international flights go ahead to spread it out of China into the rest of the world. Sewage specimens have found covid19 months before it was identified and the death toll in China is far far higher than the official figure. Basically everything out of China is lies, these communist scumbags are even using the poor Uiygars to pick cotton as slaves now.

So you're admitting you have not a shred of evidence? That's all I needed, tnx

• Advertisement

So you're admitting you have not a shred of evidence? That's all I needed, tnx

With it circulating in Italy in November and we knowing what we know now then you can be damn well assured it was in Ireland in December of 2019.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/study-finds-covid-19-presence-in-italy-in-november-2019/2073897

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/flu-kills-three-people-ireland-21088617

As for the Chinese Communists, great bunch of lads they are
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/15/xinjiang-china-more-than-half-a-million-forced-to-pick-cotton-report-finds

With it circulating in Italy in November and we knowing what we know now then you can be damn well assured it was in Ireland in December of 2019.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/study-finds-covid-19-presence-in-italy-in-november-2019/2073897

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/flu-kills-three-people-ireland-21088617

As for the Chinese Communists, great bunch of lads they are
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/15/xinjiang-china-more-than-half-a-million-forced-to-pick-cotton-report-finds

So, again....no evidence...not a jot.... your agenda is quite clear...
    And again...if covid was here 2 months before we knew about it...well the chances are we'd have tens of thousands dead ....I'm afraid your argument holds no truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,234 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

And again...if covid was here 2 months before we knew about it...well the chances are we'd have tens of thousands dead ....I'm afraid your argument holds no truth

This makes no sense whatsoever Paul.

None.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

This makes no sense whatsoever Paul.

None.

Really? A killer virus spreading thru the populus with nobody taking preventive measures..bars..clubs... shops...families gathering all thru December..over Christmas..New year's...and not a single case or death ?!
    It just started killing people from the end of march....that is what makes no sense.. none at all because it's absolute nonsense

I have no agenda :rolleyes: I had Covid myself in March based on the symptoms but luckily recovered and had a light dose. We haven't had tens of thousands dead here even in the worst case scenario.

Our problem is we have a Health system designed as a glorifed social employment scheme of HSE jobs for life political cronies dumped in there pushing paper around in circles.

Kerry has 15 ICU beds to my knowledge 5 ICU in UHK, 5 Covid ICU and 5 in the Bon secours. We have 15 beds for 150k people. The USA would have 45 beds for this population and Germany has 58 beds per 150k. We spend huge sums on health, amongst the worlds highest but thanks to corrupt political deals, exorbitant pay for the wrong people, (yet none for student nurses) thanks to trade unions leeching the system and various waste that tsunami of money spent is a mere trickle by the time it gets to the frontline.

• Advertisement

I have no agenda :rolleyes: I had Covid myself in March based on the symptoms but luckily recovered and had a light dose. We haven't had tens of thousands dead here even in the worst case scenario.

Our problem is we have a Health system designed as a glorifed social employment scheme of HSE jobs for life political cronies dumped in there pushing paper around in circles.

Kerry has 15 ICU beds to my knowledge 5 ICU in UHK, 5 Covid ICU and 5 in the Bon secours. We have 15 beds for 150k people. The USA would have 45 beds for this population and Germany has 58 beds per 150k. We spend huge sums on health, amongst the worlds highest but thanks to corrupt political deals, exorbitant pay for the wrong people, (yet none for student nurses) thanks to trade unions leeching the system and various waste that tsunami of money spent is a mere trickle by the time it gets to the frontline.

The worst case scenario projections were created at the end of march/ start of April..when the virus was actually here......if what you say was actually correct...it would have been rampaging freely through the population of Ireland for nearly 4 months!
    If that was true, we'd have most certainly have had thousands of deaths .

I believe it's actually 3 beds in UHK , no idea about other hospitals....and since there is a reported outbreak in the Bons I hope we don't have to regret the lack of ICU spaces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

I don't think anyone is saying it was definitely here this time last year. All they are saying is that it might have been. I also know a few people who were laid very very low around this time with very similar symtoms to Covid.

Relatively little is known about the virus really. We don't really know how it originated yet. I don't think anyone should be making statements that it is 100% this or 100% that because for the most part we don't know yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Chiarrai19

If I have realised anything from this last 12 months, it is the disparity between the avg person and the educated in Ireland or maybe Kerry is special. The clowns here saying "it" was here last Christmas and blaming the Chinese. These are the same people who fold their mask on the way in/out of the shop and stuff it into their pocket. I can just imagine the anti-vax stories come Q1 nxt year. The Chinese allowed international flights! You didn't think that possibly Ireland had an opportunity to also block inbound international flights. The guzman, just stop, stop with the nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Confirmed in France around 20th Dec from blood sample. Confirmed in Spain Nov from faces sample.
    Thought to be in Ireland by at least mid Dec .....from lots of dogs on the street.ðŸ˜

This is my last comment on it, I don't pay any attention to the unsubstantiated claims that it was around in November, nor do I pay any heed to the plandemic loons saying it's all a hoax...
    I'll follow the science that has been tested and retested...the rest of ye can do as ye please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Salvadoor

This is my last comment on it, I don't pay any attention to the unsubstantiated claims that it was around in November, nor do I pay any heed to the plandemic loons saying it's all a hoax...
    I'll follow the science that has been tested and retested...the rest of ye can do as ye please :)

You're dead right, some amount of conspiracy theory loons on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Salvadoor wrote: »
    You're dead right, some amount of conspiracy theory loons on this thread.

To confirm, you classify Leo Varadkar as a "Conspiracy theory Loon" ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-ireland-france-first-case-covid-19-varadkar-a9503981.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Entire school in Killorglin to be tested.

The elephant in the room finally rearing its head.

Waiting to see how it's blamed on somebody going for a meal and a few pints the weekend before last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

BPKS wrote: »

Waiting to see how it's blamed on somebody going for a meal and a few pints the weekend before last.

The government are so desperate to keep schools open it is unreal. I'm surprised they are allowing a whole school to be tested because I reckon they are not going to like the result. I bet there are asympthomatic cases by the bucketload in schools that then get transmitted to those more vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Salvadoor

SlowBlowin wrote: »

I said "on this thread" - strong correlation between loons and illiteracy

Salvadoor wrote: »
    I said "on this thread" - strong correlation between loons and illiteracy

So if someone believes it on this thread they are a loon, but its OK to believe it elsewhere ! What double standards and narrow vision you have, all that was said was "possibility"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

RTE news : All pupils, staff at Co Kerry school to be Covid tested

http://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/1216/1184929-covid-kerry-school/

RTE are saying at end of this article that as well as the outbreak in Killorglin school, a junior infants class at a school in Tralee is being asked to stay at home. Anyone have info on what school that is in Tralee?

I am nervous about the lad going to school anyway, but with this news I think today is his last day before Christmas, I cant see things getting better, and the risk will just get greater with each day.

I think schools should be high on the list for vaccinations, it might not be a vulnerable category but it is a viable hub for spreading the virus. The trouble with schools is that because kids get colds all the time, and they don't come down with heavy C19 symptoms the virus has a real chance to get a good grip, as this latest outbreak shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

BPKS wrote: »

Well how do you think the kids got it, from their budgies? No, they got it from infected people. And there's no white elephant, schools aren't super spreaders, adult congregations are. Bring booze in to the mix and you're looking at problems.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Well how do you think the kids got it, from their budgies? No, they got it from infected people. And there's no white elephant, schools aren't super spreaders, adult congregations are. Bring booze in to the mix and you're looking at problems.

Think of a map and over the course of the week you plot lines of everyone's movements in your village/town on it (home/work/school/shopping). Wherever the lines converge is a place where the virus would spread.

For my family its school, village shops, Lidl.

You also need to consider the density of people in each location, and obviously thats where schools do really bad, as does the supermarket.

To me logically this resolves to local infections are currently predominantly driven by school children, and infections between more distant points are driven by parents/adults. You could almost think of the children passive hosts.

Coincidentally the infection outbreak in our area a while ago was bought in by a child (who had caught it from another child) and then it spread to adults locally..

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

You can't look at schools in isolation. Schools have been consistently open since the end of August but over that time, the rates of infection locally and nationally have been up and down depending on the nature of restrictions in place on other activities.

Numbers are starting to really climb again now, two weeks after the reopening of hospitality. It doesn't take a genius to join the dots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭boardlady

Any more word on the rumour that it is circulating the Bons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Think of a map and over the course of the week you plot lines of everyone's movements in your village/town on it (home/work/school/shopping). Wherever the lines converge is a place where the virus would spread.

For my family its school, village shops, Lidl.

You also need to consider the density of people in each location, and obviously thats where schools do really bad, as does the supermarket.

To me logically this resolves to local infections are currently predominantly driven by school children, and infections between more distant points are driven by parents/adults. You could almost think of the children passive hosts.

Coincidentally the infection outbreak in our area a while ago was bought in by a child (who had caught it from another child) and then it spread to adults locally..

Anecdotes are great and incredibly interesting, but global data and science is more reliable. Findings that in the relatively rare cases where transmission is believed to have occurred in a school setting, the average number of people infected is just three.

Advertisement