Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

30 cases today, which at least is an improvement on yesterday:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1344333628021600259

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭barryribs

Others reporting another 1000 on top of that and I'd believe it with how busy the road outside the testing center has been.

Its absolutely depressing to think that it's going to be Feb before there's any end in site. Hopefully the government can vaccinate those in need and we can accelerate getting back to normality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

barryribs wrote: »
    Others reporting another 1000 on top of that and I'd believe it with how busy the road outside the testing center has been.

Its absolutely depressing to think that it's going to be Feb before there's any end in site. Hopefully the government can vaccinate those in need and we can accelerate getting back to normality.

Rumor has it that the vaccinations are only given during regular work hours so 9 - 5 monday through friday. No doubt with an hour for lunch and breaks and work doesn't really start till around 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭wonga77

Thats mad, you would think they would pay people to work round the clock and get through it as fast as possible

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Igotadose wrote: »
    Rumor has it that the vaccinations are only given during regular work hours so 9 - 5 monday through friday. No doubt with an hour for lunch and breaks and work doesn't really start till around 10.
    That fake news has been thoroughly debunked. It's a 7-day operation.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    That fake news has been thoroughly debunked. It's a 7-day operation.

Where are the details that describe it? Googling around doesn't show much.

Glad it's 7 days. It's not reassuring to read (in today's Examiner) that the HSE are suddenly contracting with IBM and Salesforce to put the backing IT system in place for the 'mass rollout' (presumably next year.) Uhhh... was this a surprise to the HSE that they'd need this? And now it'll be rushed,I expect overbudget and fouled up, because it's an HSE IT system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Just heard there is supposed to be a huge outbreak of covid in the spa and surrounding area .

Results of a party apparently .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Just heard there is supposed to be a huge outbreak of covid in the spa and surrounding area .

Covid 19....the Christmas gift that just keeps on giving!

Where is this? Tralee?

Number in Corca Dhuibhne is 25, by far the highest this year. Heard a rumor of a big house party (40+ people) and at least one concert that got cancelled.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Where is this? Tralee?

Number in Corca Dhuibhne is 25, by far the highest this year. Heard a rumor of a big house party (40+ people) and at least one concert that got cancelled.

The Spa is just outside Tralee, on the way to Fenit.

I think there were quite a few cases in the Fenit area back in the beginning of the pandemic!

• Advertisement

Where are the details that describe it? Googling around doesn't show much.

Glad it's 7 days. It's not reassuring to read (in today's Examiner) that the HSE are suddenly contracting with IBM and Salesforce to put the backing IT system in place for the 'mass rollout' (presumably next year.) Uhhh... was this a surprise to the HSE that they'd need this? And now it'll be rushed,I expect overbudget and fouled up, because it's an HSE IT system.
    Paul Reid was pretty emphatic when asked about it in an interview I heard on RTE I think. I would have been the day the article appeared on the front page of the Daily Drivel.

It's a good thing the IT system is being outsourced to IBM!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/1231/1187124-nursing-home/

An outbreak of Covid-19 has occurred at a Co Kerry nursing home, with a significant number of staff at Oceanview Nursing Home understood to have tested positive for the virus.

Residents at the 35-bed facility in Camp are currently being tested.

A spokesperson for Aperee Limited, the company which operates the nursing home, said the situation is being actively managed:

"As part of our fortnightly staff serial testing, we have been advised that a number of staff have tested positive for Covid-19. We are in ongoing contact with the HSE and Department of Public Health and have notified HIQA."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

Shocking, my thoughts are with the residents, staff and their families.
    Will people please stay home and follow the basic rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Numbers coming down in Kerry, at least:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1344679640133226499

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I hope that is a trend! It's some comfort and I'll take it for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I hope that is a trend! It's some comfort and I'll take it for now.

After the big funeral a few days ago, don't hold your breadth... Or maybe you should!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Daily figures are pretty meaningless now, not testing close contacts now and how many of those 4000 unallocated positives were in Kerry ?

There are models that work, NZ and Australia, the difference is they don't bow down to all the PC woke rubbish, they make a decision and then enforce it.

New Zealand has the same population as Ireland, look at the detail they give their population:

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-data-and-statistics/testing-covid-19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

frank8211 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/1231/1187124-nursing-home/

An outbreak of Covid-19 has occurred at a Co Kerry nursing home, with a significant number of staff at Oceanview Nursing Home understood to have tested positive for the virus.

Residents at the 35-bed facility in Camp are currently being tested.

A spokesperson for Aperee Limited, the company which operates the nursing home, said the situation is being actively managed:

"As part of our fortnightly staff serial testing, we have been advised that a number of staff have tested positive for Covid-19. We are in ongoing contact with the HSE and Department of Public Health and have notified HIQA."

12 Staff so far.......Residents being tested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭embraer170

newman10 wrote: »
    12 Staff so far.......Residents being tested

12 staff. That is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Daily figures are pretty meaningless now, not testing close contacts now and how many of those 4000 unallocated positives were in Kerry ?

There are models that work, NZ and Australia, the difference is they don't bow down to all the PC woke rubbish, they make a decision and then enforce it.

New Zealand has the same population as Ireland, look at the detail they give their population:

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-data-and-statistics/testing-covid-19

Sorry but nz doesn't have an open land border with another country. They are islands thousands of miles from the nearest neighbour and they have been able to shut down all incoming flights. We don't have that luxury. You're comparing apples with oranges.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

A parent of a friend of mine is a resident in that nursing home. Very worrying for them :(

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Sorry but nz doesn't have an open land border with another country. They are islands thousands of miles from the nearest neighbour and they have been able to shut down all incoming flights. We don't have that luxury. You're comparing apples with oranges.

No interstate travel, all quarantine enforced in staffed hotels, publishing the locations etc etc etc. Why does it matter how far away they are, closing down airports is closing down airports. The big difference is a "can do" attitude in government.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    No interstate travel, all quarantine enforced in staffed hotels, publishing the locations etc etc etc. Why does it matter how far away they are, closing down airports is closing down airports. The big difference is a "can do" attitude in government.
    They don't have the Northern Ireland problem. Fart in the wrong direction and you risk either pissing off the Shinner-bots or the DUP dicks. If you're exceedingly lucky, you'll piss them both off equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Chiarrai19

Totally agree with the 'can do' reference. The Govt have no backbone. It's lame. Look at Rob Kearneys reports on being in proper quarantine within a hotel for 2 weeks in Australia and he is not complaining. People would have welcomed a similar approach in Q2 this year. Instead we have people coming here on holiday since last March. This excludes the banana republic attitude of the north and this should also be dealt with by now, by way of restrictions and tracing.

Quackster wrote: »
    They don't have the Northern Ireland problem. Fart in the wrong direction and you risk either pissing off the Shinner-bots or the DUP dicks. If you're exceedingly lucky, you'll piss them both off equally.

Agreed, but there are a lot of things we could learn from them. As I said in my original post the link shows the level of detail they are publishing, I did not say NZ were the same as Ireland, just the same population and we could learn from their success. They did all this with a handful of cases, they jumped on it early. Look at Australia, state borders locked down with daily counts less than 40 for the whole country... 24 hours to get back or stay put.

My friends and family in Aus are astonished at how ineffective the response has been elsewhere. Meanwhile people from my village currently away in the UK say no issues getting back (they called the Ferry company today), and when they return no enforced quarantine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

94 new cases in Kerry, a new daily record, real number of cases is probably even higher due to delays and the system struggling to cope.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1345079027149795328

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Jesus H Christ! Over 9,000 additional positive swabs waiting to be included in the official case numbers? How the hell have we allowed this to happen?

Jesus H Christ! Over 9,000 additional positive swabs waiting to be included in the official case numbers? How the hell have we allowed this to happen?

Not surprised. It's the HSE, there were holidays and Xmas and no one in the back office that had to do some data reporting could be arsed. They've pretty much failed at every IT challenge ever, and no surprise they're not doing well here.

When the Government is pleading to not come in for testing because the system is failing, look at the HSE for the reasons why. Shower of unqualified clowns the lot of them that aren't directly dealing with patients. Still an absurdly high level of administrators, most wouldn't be qualified to organize a car boot sale let alone a modern IT department which is what most of the HSE *should* be.

Rest assured there'll be "Lessons Learned" from this and improvement will just be right around the corner. Expect a spokesdroid to pop up with something tomorrow about this. When it comes to CYA that is something the HSE has lots of practice at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Sales of thrash in Penny's etc. for Christmas was considered more important than slowing covid. In late October we should have moved into a gradual level 4. Level 5 should have been enacted on Dec 1 instead of moving out of it. All foreign visitors into Ireland should have been stopped on Dec 1, still we have no mandatory Covid test to fly into Ireland. The Govt didn't try to do anything, there policies actually caused this in that they poured Petrol onto the fire. The single testing centre in Tralee for the whole county is a face, there should be a test centre in Listowel, Tralee, Killarney and Caherciveen also, mass testing should be no problem and the whole country should go into martial law and test everyone if were right serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

theguzman wrote:
    Sales of thrash in Penny's etc. for Christmas was considered more important than slowing covid. In late October we should have moved into a gradual level 4. Level 5 should have been enacted on Dec 1 instead of moving out of it. All foreign visitors into Ireland should have been stopped on Dec 1, still we have no mandatory Covid test to fly into Ireland. The Govt didn't try to do anything, there policies actually caused this in that they poured Petrol onto the fire. The single testing centre in Tralee for the whole county is a face, there should be a test centre in Listowel, Tralee, Killarney and Caherciveen also, mass testing should be no problem and the whole country should go into martial law and test everyone if were right serious.

I'm just waiting on them to f**k up the rollout of the vaccine . They say they are hoping to roll out 25,000 vaccinations by the end of next week .

1st off that's a crazy low number for a week. Are they only working 9-5 Monday to Friday .

2nd wait for the excuses as to why they couldn't hit that measly number .

The high number of cases in kerry is worrying. I would imagine a fair shot of that number can be associated with that outbreak in the spa. Rumour has it that it was a doctor's house where the party took place .

I won't name the doctor for obvious reasons.

Advertisement