Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Ooooh...can we play a game of guess who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

theguzman wrote: »
    Sales of thrash in Penny's etc. for Christmas was considered more important than slowing covid. In late October we should have moved into a gradual level 4. Level 5 should have been enacted on Dec 1 instead of moving out of it. All foreign visitors into Ireland should have been stopped on Dec 1, still we have no mandatory Covid test to fly into Ireland. The Govt didn't try to do anything, there policies actually caused this in that they poured Petrol onto the fire. The single testing centre in Tralee for the whole county is a face, there should be a test centre in Listowel, Tralee, Killarney and Caherciveen also, mass testing should be no problem and the whole country should go into martial law and test everyone if were right serious.

Slovaks tried testing everyone. It didn't work.

I take it you can point to where you said the government should do all of the above previously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Ooooh...can we play a game of guess who?

They don't wear a hat or glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭barryribs

What the government aren't reporting is that we've actually only gotten 10k doses so far and will hold back at least 35% of theses for the second dose. So best case scenario you'll have 6.5k vaccinated by the end of the week, which will work out at around 1% of the over 65s population

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

I'm just waiting on them to f**k up the rollout of the vaccine . They say they are hoping to roll out 25,000 vaccinations by the end of next week .

1st off that's a crazy low number for a week. Are they only working 9-5 Monday to Friday .

2nd wait for the excuses as to why they couldn't hit that measly number .

The high number of cases in kerry is worrying. I would imagine a fair shot of that number can be associated with that outbreak in the spa. Rumour has it that it was a doctor's house where the party took place .

I won't name the doctor for obvious reasons.

Well they can't roll out more vaccines than they physically have. We are only getting 10k per week at the moment AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

I'm just waiting on them to f**k up the rollout of the vaccine . They say they are hoping to roll out 25,000 vaccinations by the end of next week .

1st off that's a crazy low number for a week. Are they only working 9-5 Monday to Friday .

2nd wait for the excuses as to why they couldn't hit that measly number .

The high number of cases in kerry is worrying. I would imagine a fair shot of that number can be associated with that outbreak in the spa. Rumour has it that it was a doctor's house where the party took place .

I won't name the doctor for obvious reasons.

i say there is more than one party - there is another in Castleisland parish an 18th...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,144 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Igotadose wrote: »
    Not surprised. It's the HSE, there were holidays and Xmas and no one in the back office that had to do some data reporting could be arsed. They've pretty much failed at every IT challenge ever, and no surprise they're not doing well here.

When the Government is pleading to not come in for testing because the system is failing, look at the HSE for the reasons why. Shower of unqualified clowns the lot of them that aren't directly dealing with patients. Still an absurdly high level of administrators, most wouldn't be qualified to organize a car boot sale let alone a modern IT department which is what most of the HSE *should* be.

Rest assured there'll be "Lessons Learned" from this and improvement will just be right around the corner. Expect a spokesdroid to pop up with something tomorrow about this. When it comes to CYA that is something the HSE has lots of practice at.

How dare you attack our frontline heroes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    A parent of a friend of mine is a resident in that nursing home. Very worrying for them :(

Just talking to a resident I know... they said that they are all in good form so far ... waiting on results... x fingers... Staff left are buzy but coping...fair dues...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,073 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kenmare has highest Covid19 infection rate in Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

speckle wrote: »
    Just talking to a resident I know... they said that they are all in good form so far ... waiting on results... x fingers... Staff left are buzy but coping...fair dues...

I wish them all the best. My heart goes out to the staff left standing, a very heavy load of responsibility on their shoulders now. Thoughts are also with the families of the residents. How distressing for them to think they were so close to having their loved ones vaccinated and now this has happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Kenmare has highest Covid19 infection rate in Munster

I was over there recently (pre-lockdown as I have family there) and ran into the Aldi there to pick up a few essentials to save going into Killarney, people walking around with no masks and talking to staff with not a care in the world.

The family there are terrified of Covid, the general consensus among alot of their neighbours and people is that it is just a bad flu, complaining about pubs being closed and listening to the moronic Healy-Raes rhetoric on this. Like the Trump superspreader events in America you can't argue with stupid people really. I'm not all surprised the region is riddled considering the type of siege crabbit mentality of the people there. There is a facebook group there with 3,600 locals constantly feeding anti-vax news and other drivel about it; I reported it but it is still up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

There is a facebook group there with 3,600 locals constantly feeding anti-vax news and other drivel about it; I reported it but it is still up.

What's the name of the group you mention ?

Don't forget some people join groups to stay informed what the anti vaxers are saying.

Lads you have to laugh when you hear the computer system can't cope with numbers of 9000 cases .

What are they using up there a commodore 64.
    Are all irish government IT systems this bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

What are they using up there a commodore 64.
    Are all irish government IT systems this bad

Probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Probably.

Consider how bad commercial IT systems seem to be in Ireland, no surprise the government ones are real sh1te. The fiasco around testing and tracing where it took weeks to set up 100 tracers to follow people because of problems allocating e-mail addresses (among other things) were pathetic.

Lest we forget the current head of the HSE comes from an IT background not health care. And, in their hour of need, the IT systems are stumbling. HSE are really the gang that can't shoot straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

speckle wrote: »

Crying...relief ...negative...all negative... via my friend the resident says (they are compos mentos)... but I would ask residents familys to check themselves so as not to give false hopes... and they will all have to be tested again...so...so far so good. Great news..fingers x

131 cases for kerry today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I was over there recently (pre-lockdown as I have family there) and ran into the Aldi there to pick up a few essentials to save going into Killarney, people walking around with no masks and talking to staff with not a care in the world.

The family there are terrified of Covid, the general consensus among alot of their neighbours and people is that it is just a bad flu, complaining about pubs being closed and listening to the moronic Healy-Raes rhetoric on this. Like the Trump superspreader events in America you can't argue with stupid people really. I'm not all surprised the region is riddled considering the type of siege crabbit mentality of the people there. There is a facebook group there with 3,600 locals constantly feeding anti-vax news and other drivel about it; I reported it but it is still up.

I'm not from Kenmare but we have done our main shopping in there at least once a fortnight since March. I can honestly say apart from the very odd person I have seen huge compliance with government advise let alone regulations every single time I've been to Aldi or any of the other supermarkets there.

We pass the schools on the way to the supermarkets and the example the pupils set by observing social distancing while on their breaks has been heart warming. I've seen them standing around in circles a couple of meters apart both in the school yards and around the shopping centers.

I'm not saying you didn't see what you said you did but I have been in there dozens of times and have always felt very safe and assured that people were taking this whole disaster very seriously.

I do know that there was a couple of pubs in particular just before the Christmas that left the whole town and county down with their relaxed attitude and I do hope they are never allowed forget it for the damage they inflicted on the community.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm not from Kenmare but we have done our main shopping in there at least once a fortnight since March. I can honestly say apart from the very odd person I have seen huge compliance with government advise let alone regulations every single time I've been to Aldi or any of the other supermarkets there.

We pass the schools on the way to the supermarkets and the example the pupils set by observing social distancing while on their breaks has been heart warming. I've seen them standing around in circles a couple of meters apart both in the school yards and around the shopping centers.

I'm not saying you didn't see what you said you did but I have been in there dozens of times and have always felt very safe and assured that people were taking this whole disaster very seriously.

I do know that there was a couple of pubs in particular just before the Christmas that left the whole town and county down with their relaxed attitude and I do hope they are never allowed forget it for the damage they inflicted on the community.

Fair play to them. It's heartwarming and heartbreaking to see kids having to do this.

• Advertisement

A further 129 cases for kerry today .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

A slight decrease over yesterday with 122 cases for Kerry today.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1346516335635927043

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Dingle peninsula seems crammed with tourists today. Bikes, motorcycles, saw at least 1 tour bus. Lots of holiday homes busy.

Didn't they get the memo? FFS!

How many of today's figures are backlog? Have they released that information?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭barryribs

Sardonicat wrote: »
    How many of today's figures are backlog? Have they released that information?

I think I read earlier the estimate was 6k so 1.8k approximately from the backlog.

A nice clear message again today -
    4pm - "all construction to cease"
    5pm - "construction can continue if you're nearly finished"

Anyone ever met a builder that's not nearly finished?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

How have the cases increased so much in Kerry I am guessing the majority of the cases are in Kenmare for what ever reason? Numbers shocking for most counties. I hope it peak soon in the coming days/weeks. It looking likely the schools be closed well into February possibly March and a lot of other places may be closed until then when the most urgent will be given the vaccine be given at that stage fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

looking at the cabinet, there are at least 3 teachers... Foley, Catherine Martin & Michael Martin... did any of the 3 consider ... although Michael yesterday signaled schools would not open.. so did others pull the rug from him

1. timetabling..
    2. when one child in the class gets covid.. the school closes... the media will be waiting to break this news immediately

it will be interesting if the leaving cert students get more that one week in schools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder if pint glasses with lids on was the only problem with click and collect, because I can't think of any other reasons offhand.?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

120 cases for Kerry on today's count.

Advertisement