Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

BPKS wrote: »
    The county thing was a ruse.

They never put individual Counties down a level if numbers were non existent. It was just to put Counties (Donegal, Laois, Offaly, Kildare - but not Dublin) up a level when numbers grew.

All the millions spent on their Living with Covid strategy was another waste.

That’s because Dublin, like Carlow, Wexford, Wicklow, Louth, Kildare, Meath, Westmeath, Kilkenny, Longford, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo, Cavan, and Monaghan didn’t have the numbers that Donegal, Laois, Offaly and Kildare had at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That’s because Dublin, like Carlow, Wexford, Wicklow, Louth, Kildare, Meath, Westmeath, Kilkenny, Longford, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo, Cavan, and Monaghan didn’t have the numbers that Donegal, Laois, Offaly and Kildare had at the time.

I think you will find that when Laois was put into lockdown that its 14 day incident rate per 100k was much less than that in Dublin at the time.

I suppose the other way of looking at it is would we like if hospitality opened up for Easter and the holiday home owners from the east of the country and the cities arrived on our doorstep to take advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I think you will find that when Laois was put into lockdown that its 14 day incident rate per 100k was much less than that in Dublin at the time.

In Laois alone, the number of cases had risen from 265 to 322 in two weeks. A number of the cases were in Direct Provision Centres in the county and many of the cases in the county are linked to outbreaks in meat factories in Kildare. It was spreading rapidly. The lockdown was obviously the correct decision. It worked.
    I suppose the other way of looking at it is would we like if hospitality opened up for Easter and the holiday home owners from the east of the country and the cities arrived on our doorstep to take advantage.

I don't know, would you like it? Dublin has had constant visitors from the South, North, West including Kerry from the beginning of the lockdown but we've managed to keep numbers down through good behaviour and hygiene even though it's the most populous part of the country. The cities don't take an unwelcoming parish pump attitude to the pandemic, there's more of a broader view than an inter-county "who's doing better than who" attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Slight increase today, but the average incidence continues to fall:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1359200731316826112

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

agata7ar wrote: »
    Interesting. Following the thread now.

Looks like you're not..

Worryingly, approx 1200 people a week are flying back into Ireland after foreign holidays....this will only get worse if allowed to continue

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Just want to say thank you to the posters that go out of their way to post up the daily figures for Kerry, it's much appreciated.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Hopefully just a random Thursday spike:

https://twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1359926084695949313

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

We have 20 and 25 cases about to drop off the left hand side of the 14-day incidence chart, so hopefully a couple of low days to come will see that 140 number drop further again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

keane2097 wrote: »
    We have 20 and 25 cases about to drop off the left hand side of the 14-day incidence chart, so hopefully a couple of low days to come will see that 140 number drop further again.

Ireland is vaccinating at the EU average per day, about the same as Hungary and Italy. Until our number goes up, cases will remain high. You cannot lockdown your way out of this

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Ireland is vaccinating at the EU average per day, about the same as Hungary and Italy. Until our number goes up, cases will remain high. You cannot lockdown your way out of this

OK

And fewer than 5 today, for the best national rate:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1360283429267533825

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭The_Kitty

Looks like you're not..

Worryingly, approx 1200 people a week are flying back into Ireland after foreign holidays....this will only get worse if allowed to continue

Do they not check reason for travel, I thought they would because of these new fines?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

OK

I thought the vaccine only affected the severity and didnt prevent transmission. So the vaccine will mean it will be still spreading but people won't get as sick hopefully. Am I wrong in that?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The_Kitty wrote: »
    I thought the vaccine only affected the severity and didnt prevent transmission. So the vaccine will mean it will be still spreading but people won't get as sick hopefully. Am I wrong in that?
    The emerging evidence would suggest you are.

The_Kitty wrote: »

Yeah the data seems to be showing Moderna has a very good impact on transmission which is expected to hold for Pfizer also. Not sure on the non-MRNA vaccines.

EuNFj0NXUAUkmLk?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Less than 5 in Kerry again today

Less than 5 in Kerry again today

Expect a slight increase in about a week when all of tonight's shenanigans start to show on.tge numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yeah the data seems to be showing Moderna has a very good impact on transmission which is expected to hold for Pfizer also. Not sure on the non-MRNA vaccines.

With the laughably small amount of people being vaccinated in Ireland, around 270,000 to date, I wouldn't sweat which vaccine works best just now. Maybe in a year or so at the rate we're going. Without travel restrictions it can easily be for nothing.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0214/1197043-covid-ireland/

FWIW the UK's given 15 million doses in the same time frame, more or less. My friends in the US have all started reporting getting vaccines, this isn't an elderly crowd now, so they're getting administered. Not here though, don't know anyone who has had the shot including several folks in their 80's.

And, I can't find the article now, but apparently that first batch of Astra-Zeneca from last week hasn't been used up yet, it was just 21,000 shots, arrived last Saturday but didn't start being administered until Monday, can't have the lads working the weekends after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Expect a slight increase in about a week when all of tonight's shenanigans start to show on.tge numbers

What shenanigans would those be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

What's happening tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I'm curious too. Are we missing a party?:):)

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    What's happening tonight?

Valentines? Romance+roses+drink+chocolate etc maybe?? :)

Valentine's... cross contamination so to speak :)

Igotadose wrote: »
    With the laughably small amount of people being vaccinated in Ireland, around 270,000 to date, I wouldn't sweat which vaccine works best just now. Maybe in a year or so at the rate we're going. Without travel restrictions it can easily be for nothing.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0214/1197043-covid-ireland/

FWIW the UK's given 15 million doses in the same time frame, more or less. My friends in the US have all started reporting getting vaccines, this isn't an elderly crowd now, so they're getting administered. Not here though, don't know anyone who has had the shot including several folks in their 80's.

And, I can't find the article now, but apparently that first batch of Astra-Zeneca from last week hasn't been used up yet, it was just 21,000 shots, arrived last Saturday but didn't start being administered until Monday, can't have the lads working the weekends after all.

The person asked whether or not the vaccines reduce transmission. The answer according to the available data is yes. I'm aware of the current speed of the rollout.

lottpaul wrote: »
    Valentines? Romance+roses+drink+chocolate etc maybe?? :)

Wouldnt't Valentines be just couples though lol who are together all the time anyway?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Study hasn't been peer-reviewed yet but it's looking good for the AZ vaccine too.

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1194681/

• Advertisement

The person asked whether or not the vaccines reduce transmission. The answer according to the available data is yes. I'm aware of the current speed of the rollout.

Thanks for answering! It will take time but hopefully in a year the vaccine will be helping if it reduces transmission and symptoms.

Advertisement