Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

The_Kitty wrote: »
    Wouldnt't Valentines be just couples though lol who are together all the time anyway?

No, tbf ..quite a few couples in different households...I've seen a few Instagram and Facebook stories of meeting up being planned tonight....not ideal.... but i can't say I wouldn't do the same if I'm being honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Thanks for answering! It will take time but hopefully in a year the vaccine will be helping if it reduces transmission and symptoms.

Hopefully it won't take that long. Broadly speaking the constraint at the moment is supply. There's been some delay in getting some doses out in the last week or two due to having to rejig the delivery to account for the decision not to give the AZ jab to the elderly, but I believe the plan is to do something in the range of 80k doses next week which would be a welcome acceleration.

Currently the case rate in the elderly is very high compared to the rest of the population, so hopefully as more of them get the jab the rate in general will decline.

For anyone interested, this twitter account updates the numbers of positive test swabs and the number of vaccine doses given out as the info is released:

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1360904385375703041?s=20

I think the plan was to give out most of the rest of the AZ doses over the weekend. We'll find out in a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭The_Kitty

No, tbf ..quite a few couples in different households...I've seen a few Instagram and Facebook stories of meeting up being planned tonight....not ideal.... but i can't say I wouldn't do the same if I'm being honest

Hmm if they are being so careful to stay away from each other all of the time seems odd that they would meet for Valentines then lol.

Realistically the incidence in Kerry is low enough at the moment that as long as lovers from Monaghan and Dublin don't sneak in over the weekend it probably won't make much difference. They reckon the five day average is a good proxy for the current numbers, i.e. today 8 people out of 147k probably caught it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Wouldnt't Valentines be just couples though lol who are together all the time anyway?

Most likely. I doubt many people who live in Tralee have been keeping away from each other! As someone else said, unless they are travelling from other counties to here, then it wouldn't really be a big deal.

There was me thinking no one gave a hoot about Valentines....or is that just in my house!? :D:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Fourth consecutive day with <5 cases, also on track to have a 14-day incidence below 100 by Ash Wednesday:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1361375509582671875

Already below 100 average, at 95.5 today, and again <5 cases:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1361730151839629314

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

It was kind of the same after the first wave, we got it down to zero for like 3 weeks even with a number of cases in adjoining counties, but then travel took off and away we go again!

For the first time in many a month, Kerry records a zero case day, and the 5-day average is only 2!

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1362097672308555778

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

kn wrote: »
    It was kind of the same after the first wave, we got it down to zero for like 3 weeks even with a number of cases in adjoining counties, but then travel took off and away we go again!

Not sure travel is a big an issue as College Students, neigbours in isolation due to student getting covid in NUIG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

For the first time in many a month, Kerry records a zero case day, and the 5-day average is only 2!

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1362097672308555778

Great news! :)

The momentum continues, and the fortnightly average is now down to 71:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1362458858866753546

LEA Rates:

Listowel 17 cases (59.3 per 100,000)
    Tralee: 55 (166.5)
    Corca Dhuibhne: 10 (70.5)
    Killarney: 31 (104.7)
    Castleisland: 15 (87.5)
    Kenmare: 9 (35.9)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

They could do an experiment by opening up Kerry with just intra County travel, retail etc and see what the impact is over a couple of months. Of course this requires the Guards to be stationed on border roads 24/7 but at least its possible and then lets see the outcome and compare with the rest of the country. Limerick had 47 cases today but virtually nothing in Kerry for the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

kn wrote: »
    They could do an experiment by opening up Kerry with just intra County travel, retail etc and see what the impact is over a couple of months. Of course this requires the Guards to be stationed on border roads 24/7 but at least its possible and then lets see the outcome and compare with the rest of the country. Limerick had 47 cases today but virtually nothing in Kerry for the last 2 weeks.

We'd need an army to keep people from surrounding counties from invading Kerry in their break for freedom ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

amdaley28 wrote: »
    We'd need an army to keep people from surrounding counties from invading Kerry in their break for freedom ðŸ˜

So few vaccines dispensed, and already the HSE bunged the rolling out of the vaccine centers, where at least 4 (of 39) either hadn't been notified or were misidentified. I trust the HSE will screw things up. My next guess is there'll be a report on vaccines allowed to spoil but dispensed anyway due to one of the endless 'administrative errors' this organization specializes in.

All that's keeping Covid from running rampant is the lockdown. This is very unfortunate but its how this pandemic's being managed in Ireland.

Just yesterday my neighbor invited me to go collect seaweed once the weather allows, and I'm not sure I'll join him. He and his family's been isolating, it's just a few km away, it's probably the 1 chance this year before gardening season, yet, do I want to be in someone's close company for a few hours, mostly (not entirely) outdoors? It's a tough one, neither of us is getting vaccinated anytime soon.

All told, I'll probably take the risk, we'll mask and stay separate as much as possible. Don't have to decide just yet.

In the meantime, friends and family in the US have been vaccinated, in most cases twice by now. I expect no vaccines here before May.

44,407 doses of vaccine given out Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday this week. The plan was to administer 80k this week which looks to be well on track. 110k doses are planned to be given out next week. Someone was asking recently what had happened with the AZ vaccines. 24k of them have now been administered.

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1363096570892324868

17k were given out Wednesday alone, which would amount to 120k per week if replicated. Good progress on scaling up the operation. Hopefully this ramp up will continue as supply becomes more abundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Igotadose wrote: »
    So few vaccines dispensed, and already the HSE bunged the rolling out of the vaccine centers, where at least 4 (of 39) either hadn't been notified or were misidentified. I trust the HSE will screw things up. My next guess is there'll be a report on vaccines allowed to spoil but dispensed anyway due to one of the endless 'administrative errors' this organization specializes in.

All that's keeping Covid from running rampant is the lockdown. This is very unfortunate but its how this pandemic's being managed in Ireland.

Just yesterday my neighbor invited me to go collect seaweed once the weather allows, and I'm not sure I'll join him. He and his family's been isolating, it's just a few km away, it's probably the 1 chance this year before gardening season, yet, do I want to be in someone's close company for a few hours, mostly (not entirely) outdoors? It's a tough one, neither of us is getting vaccinated anytime soon.

All told, I'll probably take the risk, we'll mask and stay separate as much as possible. Don't have to decide just yet.

In the meantime, friends and family in the US have been vaccinated, in most cases twice by now. I expect no vaccines here before May.

The HSE are known for screw ups.
    People complained about the old Health Boards but when problems arose they were usually local & got sorted.

The 14-day rate currently stands at 55, nearly a fifth of the national incidence:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1363177706830069760

• Advertisement

The highest daily figure for 10 days, but the 14-day figure falls further to 50:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1363550312787755009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Igotadose wrote: »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/19/how-the-beach-super-spreader-myth-can-inform-uks-future-covid-response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

newman10 wrote: »

There's transit time in a car and a lot of heavy work, so wasn't the work on the beach that concerned me, as much as being in the car. But, we'll wear masks and keep the windows open.

Judging by the slight rise in the 5-day average, would seem to be 4 cases today:

https://twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1363913819618217989

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

update 2... nursing home that had 10+ staff positives but all residents negative...had their 2nd injection last week... no side effects... my friend in their 90s understands nothing foolproof in life but counting down two weeks from now... :)

Well done all.

My 90-year aunt also got her first jab on Saturday. The 14-day rate continues to fall, less than 45 today:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1364271254665113600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Molzer2

That's disappointing today, I hope it's due to proactive track / trace / test from the 7 a few days ago. This new variant is so transmissible the situation can turn very quickly!

Early onset of cases from all the riding at Valentines!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

keane2097 wrote: »
    Early onset of cases from all the riding at Valentines!

I mentioned that at the time...I wasn't kidding... I know of people who traveled from Mayo, Cork and Galway down here for the valentine's amour....
    I'm not saying its the reason for the spike..... but there might beone or 2 of ye dirty boardsies with some 'splaining to do :P

Advertisement