Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Strangely, even though today's cases at 7 are slightly higher than in recent weeks, the 14-day average has fallen significantly to 36.6:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1364995929099665412

Castleisland has the highest 14-day incidence at 75.8 (13 cases), while Corca Dhuibhne is too low to be statistically recorded!

The other four:

Tralee: 69.6 (23 cases)
    Killarney: 47.3 (15)
    Kenmare: 35.9 (9)
    Listowel: 20.9 (6)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Strangely, even though today's cases at 7 are slightly higher than in recent weeks, the 14-day average has fallen significantly to 36.6:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1364995929099665412

Wonder how many are UL students ??

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭The_Kitty

newman10 wrote: »
    Wonder how many are UL students ??
    Why UL students? I think i missed why they would have it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

Its the Healy-Raes bringing it down from Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

The_Kitty wrote: »

There was an outbreak there during the week and all students were encouraged to avail of testing whether they had symptoms or not.

The_Kitty wrote: »

Large outbreak in UL

Michael Gleeson with details on the vaccination centres - 25 booths per centre, doing 8 people per hour, 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, which works out at 14,000 people theoretically jabbed in each centre per week, 28,000 in all. Our population is 147,000, so once children and the elderly already done are excluded, that would mean everyone else could be double-jabbed in roughly eight weeks, if supply could be guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Michael Gleeson with details on the vaccination centres - 25 booths per centre, doing 8 people per hour, 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, which works out at 14,000 people theoretically jabbed in each centre per week, 28,000 in all. Our population is 147,000, so once children and the elderly already done are excluded, that would mean everyone else could be double-jabbed in roughly eight weeks, if supply could be guaranteed.

Clearly they need more centers. The longer it takes to administer the vaccine, the more chance for mutations.

The UK organized it so no one had to travel more than 10 miles to obtain a vaccine. Too bad Ireland isn't willing to do that for its citizens. Here's a thought - there's plenty of churches to host vaccination centers. Since they're not doing anything now, they're available. Have the military organize it like they did in England (and Israel, another country with great success administering vaccines.)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Igotadose wrote: »
    Clearly they need more centers. The longer it takes to administer the vaccine, the more chance for mutations.

The UK organized it so no one had to travel more than 10 miles to obtain a vaccine. Too bad Ireland isn't willing to do that for its citizens. Here's a thought - there's plenty of churches to host vaccination centers. Since they're not doing anything now, they're available. Have the military organize it like they did in England (and Israel, another country with great success administering vaccines.)
    Population density of UK is 275 km-2.
    Population density of Ireland is 70 km-2.

As the population density here is one quarter that of the UK, what's efficient in the UK isn't necessarily going to be so efficient here.

GPs and other community healthcare facilities (pharmacies, dentists etc) will be doing much of the vaccinating using the AZ and J&J vaccines. The mass vaccination centres make sense only in major urban centres.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    Population density of UK is 275 km-2.
    Population density of Ireland is 70 km-2.

As the population density here is one quarter that of the UK, what's efficient in the UK isn't necessarily going to be so efficient here.

GPs and other community healthcare facilities (pharmacies, dentists etc) will be doing much of the vaccinating using the AZ and J&J vaccines. The mass vaccination centres make sense only in major urban centres.

What, no Pfizer nor Moderna? Seems like again, we're drawing the short straw. J&J doesn't appear as effective, and AZ might not work so well for over 65.

xl500 wrote: »
    Its the Healy-Raes bringing it down from Dublin

What has your comment to do with COVID ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You're asking to much here. Ireland’s population one of most rural in European Union, with non farming people living throughout the countryside. Having vaccination centres within ten miles of travel for everyone would mean thousands of centres with all sorts of planning, logistical and payment issues.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You're asking to much here. Ireland’s population one of most rural in European Union, with non farming people living throughout the countryside. Having vaccination centres within ten miles of travel for everyone would mean thousands of centres with all sorts of planning, logistical and payment issues.

OK to aim low then and rely on a jury rigged process. Plannings beyond the minimum is fine then. Why make it easy
    It's Ireland, ghod will provide.

OK to aim low then and rely on a jury rigged process. Plannings beyond the minimum is fine then. Why make it easy
    It's Ireland, ghod will provide.

I see where you're coming from and you make a good point, but its better to have a few proper centralised, well run vaccination centres with proper databases and secure covid hygiene than thousands of rushed out, ill thought out jury rigged, ad hoc & understaffed military triage style tented centres.

Less mistakes and no chancers trying to jump the queue because they have "connections" and handy cash. Let alone land owners going for cash grabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭xl500

newman10 wrote: »
    What has your comment to do with COVID ?

They are bringing the Covid Down from Dublin sure dont they blame them up in Dublin for Everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0227/1199742-st-stephens-green-protest/
    People from all over Ireland were travelling to St Stephens Green today for an anti mask & covid denier gathering... gardai have shut the green

Edit... hundreds.. possibly a thousand people marching thru O'Connell Street now, no masks.... not a bright bunch at all... hoping the gardai start arresting them asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Let's hope that's just a one day blip for Kerry and not a trend.

Out of interest, do many people know of many over 85s among their relatives or neighbours in Kerry getting vaccinated yet? My Dad is in that age cohort but has still not been called. Hopefully he will this coming week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭TigerTim

ongarboy wrote: »

Out of interest, do many people know of many over 85s among their relatives or neighbours in Kerry getting vaccinated yet? My Dad is in that age cohort but has still not been called. Hopefully he will this coming week!

My mom who's 89 got ger first jab last Thurs, 25th Feb, from her GP. Due the 2nd one in 4 weeks.

T.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0227/1199742-st-stephens-green-protest/
    People from all over Ireland were travelling to St Stephens Green today for an anti mask & covid denier gathering... gardai have shut the green

Edit... hundreds.. possibly a thousand people marching thru O'Connell Street now, no masks.... not a bright bunch at all... hoping the gardai start arresting them asap

Huge mask free crowds congregating in Dublin from all over the country & heading back home today. Limerick and Galway seeing spikes from people travelling in to the cities, misbehaving contracting & spreading the virus only to head home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Riodej1578

Many checkpoints around Killarney /Tralee?

I assume significant increase in presence this weekend due to weather /people fed up with restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭The_Kitty

Riodej1578 wrote: »

I assume significant increase in presence this weekend due to weather /people fed up with restrictions?

Didnt meet any going to and from work today. I go from tralee and then through Listowel and back again to tralee in the afternoon 5 or 6 days a week and met 4 checkpoints since xmas. I sometimes see some checkpounts in the evening in tralee when out walking. Near aldi on the john joe sheehy road seems to be a spot they stop people at some nights. They are defo still out doing checkpoints but not as much during commuting hours or anything like during previous lockdowns. In the very first lockdown there were at the big roundabout going out to listowel every evening when i was coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭acequion

I think last Thursday 25th was a big day all over for the over 85's. My mum, aged 90, got her first jab as did my aunt [89] in west Limerick. Mum's GP gave that day to vaccinating the over 85 cohort and there was a celebratory air around the surgery. All seniors were in great form delighted to be getting the shots and it was lovely to witness it. So life affirming after all the sad deaths in that age group.

Onwards and upwards for us all, fingers tightly crossed.:)

10 cases today - 14 day incidence is now up to 51:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1366075440377573376

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Last Tuesday was the day for over 85's in our village, 15 of them got the jab.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Riodej1578 wrote: »

Usual one in Lissivigeen and near Rossbeigh Beach

Tomies Woods and Cronins Yard more random

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Radio5

I believe there were checkpoints near Banna beach yesterday but don't know exactly where.

Some students back to school today should result in an increase in traffic.

I know over-85's in both Killarney and Kenmare areas who got their 1st jab in recent weeks.

• Advertisement

Advertisement