Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

In somewhat of a rut now, with the daily numbers in much the same range for the last week:

https://twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1367171181292507142

While we await today's numbers, the fortnightly figures for each LEA:

Listowel: 6 (20.9 per 100,000)
    Tralee: 35 (105.9)
    Castleisland: 9 (52.5)
    Corca Dhuibhne: 7 (49.4)
    Killarney : 11 (37.2)
    Kenmare: 12 (47.9)

So, the Greater Tralee area has nearly 44% of all cases in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Riodej1578

Radio5 wrote: »
    I believe there were checkpoints near Banna beach yesterday but don't know exactly where.

Some students back to school today should result in an increase in traffic.

I know over-85's in both Killarney and Kenmare areas who got their 1st jab in recent weeks.

As expected near beaches given the weather

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I read earlier that there have been 41 deaths to date in Kerry due to Covid19 since the pandemic began. I must look for the link as I can't find it now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0305/1201119-sneem-vaccine/

Sneem seems to be the place to live right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Kiith wrote: »

Or Israel.

Wud prefer Sneem tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Always was, always will be.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Vaccines and good fish and chips...what's not to like :)

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

But they're not...6 days out of 7 the cases nationally are well in excess of 500...the numbers in Kerry are totally inconsequential as there will be no localised lifting of restrictions...
    we've had superspreader events last weekend..more planned this weekend, and quite a few for Paddy's Day....to even contemplate the situation is getting under control is both foolhardy & dangerous imo.

But they're not...6 days out of 7 the cases nationally are well in excess of 500...the numbers in Kerry are totally inconsequential as there will be no localised lifting of restrictions...
    we've had superspreader events last weekend..more planned this weekend, and quite a few for Paddy's Day....to even contemplate the situation is getting under control is both foolhardy & dangerous imo.

This thread is specifically about Kerry.

There's not a blessed bit we can do about the people who choose to attend protest marches or mass street parties elsewhere, what we can do is worry about our own communities and take satisfaction and inspiration from the continuing downward trend.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

This thread is specifically about Kerry.

There's not a blessed bit we can do about the people who choose to attend protest marches or mass street parties elsewhere, what we can do is worry about our own communities and take satisfaction and inspiration from the continuing downward trend.

It's quite obviously not solely about Kerry

It's quite obviously not solely about Kerry

Take your worries somewhere else, the clue is in the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The national 14-day incidence rate per 100k is falling steadily. As is the positivity rate on the tests being done.

Take your worries somewhere else, the clue is in the title.

I'm afraid that is incorrect... if you read thru the thread you will see international cases, national cases, imported cases as well as local cases have all been discussed with equal merit. Your post is part of the larger issue we have here I'm afraid

Cases are absolutely falling, both in Kerry and country wide. More importantly, since cases mean **** all, ICU and hospital numbers are down again.

Under 100 in the ICU, which is a far more important number.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Cases are absolutely falling, both in Kerry and country wide. More importantly, since cases mean **** all, ICU and hospital numbers are down again.

Under 100 in the ICU, which is a far more important number.

And apparently only 1 person in KUH with covid and no one in ICU, so that's very good news!

Safest place in Ireland with a great sense of community...

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/covid-19-lockdown-inside-safest-23618067

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

How exactly did Sneem get a disproportionate number of vaccines?

Rodin wrote: »
    How exactly did Sneem get a disproportionate number of vaccines?

I was told it was because it has such a high proportion of elderly residents the GP, the pharmacist and retired GP's were well organised in advance of any potential surplus from any other region suddenly becoming available. They had all the qualified medical people needed on hand to administer it and had a detailed plan to cover everything before and after as well so they were ready to rock at a moments notice with a guarantee none would be wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭wonga77

I was told it was because it has such a high proportion of elderly residents the GP, the pharmacist and retired GP's were well organised in advance of any potential surplus from any other region suddenly becoming available. They had all the qualified medical people needed on hand to administer it and had a detailed plan to cover everything before and after as well so they were ready to rock at a moments notice with a guarantee none would be wasted.

Precisely this. They were extremely efficient and organised in getting everything done. Fair play to them, I wish my local GP was as dedicated

Over 70s got it in Sneem. Over 90s still haven't got it. Shouldn't have happened.
    If Kerry is so Covid-safe then the vaccines should have gone elsewhere.
    As for a surplus, how does an area get a surplus? We've barely 10% of population vaccinated. No area should have a surplus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭barryribs

Over 70s got it in Sneem. Over 90s still haven't got it. Shouldn't have happened.
    As for a surplus, how does an area get a surplus? We've barely 10% of population vaccinated. No area should have a surplus

Shame on the doctors and medical professionals for their foresight, planning and for using the vaccines that they were supplied with :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

There are a number of doses per vile. If they are not administered in a timely fashion they are no longer useable so any unused delivery to a surgery will go to waste unless you stick it someone's arm. It cant be kept back for another day. Surgeries are told in advance what day the supply is arriving and they vaccinate the relevant cohort on that day. If the Gps of Sneem had enough vaccine and manpower to get everyone in the over 70 category after they'd finished the over 85s, isn't it better it got into the arms of a vulnerable cohort than in the bin?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    There are a number of doses per vile. If they are not administered in a timely fashion they are no longer useable so any unused delivery to a surgery will go to waste unless you stick it someone's arm. It cant be kept back for another day. Surgeries are told in advance what day the supply is arriving and they vaccinate the relevant cohort on that day. If the Gps of Sneem had enough vaccine and manpower to get everyone in the over 70 category after they'd finished the over 85s, isn't it better it got into the arms of a vulnerable cohort than in the bin?

Any excess should be less than one vial. A new one shouldn't be opened unless there's an arm for it.
    If the GPS in Sneem had enough to vaccinate everyone from 70-85 then they were given too much. Others missing out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Any excess should be less than one vial. A new one shouldn't be opened unless there's an arm for it.
    If the GPS in Sneem had enough to vaccinate everyone from 70-85 then they were given too much. Others missing out

Glad someone else brought this up. It's the HSE crack admin team doing their best of course, why should they get something as pesky as 'how many people need doses in a given area' correct.

I've had disagreements here about what happens when you undershoot, and how countries like Israel and UK using their military to organize vaccine distribution is a plus, but Ireland can't possibly do this. So, we get the shower of clowns that is the HSE, who among other things don't have a fit-for-purpose backing IT system and enough vaccinators: . I've even seen ads for vaccinators on Facebook, offering 12 hour shifts.

Sad, really. All this time, all these HSE administrators, and it's still not working smoothly. But, it's o.k. There'll be 'lessons learned' and a report published in a few years and no changes made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I dont follow your logic, Rodin. If there are ten doses in a vile and one had only one dose taken out of it when the over 85s were vaccinated, why should the other 9 go in the bin?(I dont know how many doses per vile, BTW) No one missed out in Sneem. The over 85s were vaccinated, that is all ages over 85, not just 85 to 90! So if a surgery has 11 over 85s, and there are 10 doses per vile, they will receive a delivery of 2 viles. No one is coming to collect the vile with nine doses left, its use it or loose it. If a number of surgeries had a similar scenario in the area and were able to cooperate with each other and pharmacies to get the vaccine into those aged from 70 to 85 as well as those aged over 85 then fair play.

Advertisement