Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19 Kerry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I dont follow your logic, Rodin. If there are ten doses in a vile and one had only one dose taken out of it when the over 85s were vaccinated, why should the other 9 go in the bin?(I dont know how many doses per vile, BTW) No one missed out in Sneem. The over 85s were vaccinated, that is all ages over 85, not just 85 to 90! So if a surgery has 11 over 85s, and there are 10 doses per vile, they will receive a delivery of 2 viles. No one is coming to collect the vile with nine doses left, its use it or loose it. If a number of surgeries had a similar scenario in the area and were able to cooperate with each other and pharmacies to get the vaccine into those aged from 70 to 85 as well as those aged over 85 then fair play.

I don't agree.
    I don't believe everybody in Sneem between 70 and 85 got the remains of a not fully used vial.
    And if there were should have been given to others nearby who are over 85. I doubt every person over 85 in Kenmare is vaccinated.

Sneem also really isn't big at all.
    Should be one vaccination site.
    The whole vaccine rollout has been very inefficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I think what is more likely to have happened with Sneem is as follows.

GP was meant to get 15 doses for over 85s.

Admin error meant 150 doses were sent.

GP goes above and beyond and calls in everyone over 70 before the vaccine 'goes off'.

I've heard something similar happened in another part of the country but they are keeping it quiet cos it was an area of extremely high rates around Xmas that got national attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

BPKS wrote: »
    I think what is more likely to have happened with Sneem is as follows.

GP was meant to get 15 doses for over 85s.

Admin error meant 150 doses were sent.

GP goes above and beyond and calls in everyone over 70 before the vaccine 'goes off'.

I've heard something similar happened in another part of the country but they are keeping it quiet cos it was an area of extremely high rates around Xmas that got national attention.

I'd fire the admin error person. Out by a factor of 10?
    GPs should have got in contact with their colleagues in Kenmare and sorted out over 85s there

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Rodin wrote: »
    I don't agree.
    I don't believe everybody in Sneem between 70 and 85 got the remains of a not fully used vial.
    And if there were should have been given to others nearby who are over 85. I doubt every person over 85 in Kenmare is vaccinated.

Sneem also really isn't big at all.
    Should be one vaccination site.
    The whole vaccine rollout has been very inefficient.
    Given that, at a national level, the population aged 70-84 is nearly six times the population aged 85+, this is exactly what must have happened as the local GP has fully vaccinated everyone aged 70+ and even started into vaccinating their 65-69 age-group.

Also, the vaccine they received is the Moderna one so what another poster has said here is untrue - it didn't have to be administered the day they received it. Indeed it can be stored in an ordinary fridge for a month and that's exactly what they're doing as they haven't used up all that they received yet.

It would be simplistic to suggest that the GP should have circulated excess stock amongst neighbouring GPs though as you have to make sure whomever you give it to will be able to receive a second dose of Moderna in four weeks and Moderna is arriving into this country in extremely small amounts so it can only really be used at relatively few vaccination sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Advertisement

6 cases today leaves the 14-day average at 66.3, with Kilkenny on 54 and Cork on 52:

https://twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1368980987368136706

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Rodin wrote: »
    I'd fire the admin error person. Out by a factor of 10?
    GPs should have got in contact with their colleagues in Kenmare and sorted out over 85s there
    Fire the person for making a mistake? For maybe entering an extra "0" in a spreadsheet?

Your performance review must be immaculate every year!:rolleyes:

14-day incidence has remained relatively unchanged over the last week at 65:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1369706538252828677

LEA Rates:

Listowel 5 (17.4 per 100,000)
    Tralee 51 (154.4)
    Corca Dhuibhne 6 (42.3)
    Castleisland 12 (70)
    Killarney 12 (40.5)
    Kenmare 10 (39.9)

So, Tralee the county blackspot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

LEA Rates:

Listowel 5 (17.4 per 100,000)
    Tralee 51 (154.4)
    Corca Dhuibhne 6 (42.3)
    Castleisland 12 (70)
    Killarney 12 (40.5)
    Kenmare 10 (39.9)

So, Tralee the county blackspot.

Just in time for a lockdown protest tomorrow (?). Brilliant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Igotadose wrote: »
    Just in time for a lockdown protest tomorrow (?). Brilliant.

I don't think anything is planned for tomorrow. I did hear there's one on St. Patricks day?

7 cases today, so much in line with the rest of the week:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1370431155737092098

I think we can say now the trend is definitely rising again - 11 cases today:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1370788026444619778

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

14 day rate down a bit, 5 day rate up a bit. We actually had 7 and 12 last Friday and Saturday (7 & 11 this week). It's nervy times alright though.

I finally met someone that had had the vaccine! A caregiver who had to travel the 45 miles to the nearest center as there were no vaccines in town (10 miles.) So, people are, slowly, getting a trickle of vaccine here in West Kerry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Are they still giving vaccines up in the North Campus. Wonder would you get lucky and see if someone never showed up and get a left over🀣

Are they still giving vaccines up in the North Campus. Wonder would you get lucky and see if someone never showed up and get a left over��

The person I ran into had to go to North Campus.

Why do you think vaccinations have stopped being given there? The person I ran into, had been vaccinated a few weeks ago. If they're not using North Campus as 'overflow' where do you travel to should your local area not have enough vaccines or vaccinators?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

I don't know if I'm just misreading your message but I never said I didn't think they should be using the North Campus.

I just assumed with the low levels of vaccines Ireland is getting there wouldn't be a big demand to have the vaccine center operating until we get a steady supply

• Advertisement

I don't know if I'm just misreading your message but I never said I didn't think they should be using the North Campus.

I just assumed with the low levels of vaccines Ireland is getting there wouldn't be a big demand to have the vaccine center operating until we get a steady supply

Ah. I don't know how much that center is being used - from your message, I thought you were saying it wasn't being used due to lack of demand. Apparently, at least in this case it was, it might be used because they're making a dog's breakfast of getting the vaccine to the more remote locations. There's a story on the RTE of a poor teenage girl who traveled from the west to Beaumont hospital in Dublin only to be refused a vaccine because they'd scheduled her for an AZ shot, realized (only when she arrived) she was too young and asked her to come back Tuesday. So, the HSE is doing about as I'd expect in getting the vaccine distributed - probably they're doing o.k. in the big cities and the rest of the country, well, you'll get one le cúnamh Dé as they say out here.

<5 cases today, 14-day rate same as Cork's:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1371156076192804871

10 cases today, 14-day incidence rate is 54.8:

https://twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1372239894463066113

Another slight overall increase today, to 58 per 100,000 - daily cases at 8

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1372607595614199814

LEA Rates:

Listowel: 6 (20.9 per 100,000)
    Tralee: 42 (127.8)
    Corca Dhuibhne: 7 (49.4)
    Castleisland: 9 (52.5)
    Killarney: 12 (40.5)
    Kenmare: <5 (N/A)

7 cases today:

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1372962694102409221

Meanwhile, both my parentshave now had their first jab.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I just realised there was no update for Saturday, but the good news is that there were zero cases in Kerry!!

• Advertisement

Unfortunately back up to 6 cases in Kerry today. Over 700 in Ireland so its up again sadly.

Advertisement