Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge cut down

Options
  • 13-04-2020 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi a family who purchased a neighboring house backing on to my brothers lands cut down part of the brothers hedge and erected a post and rail fence on their side. The even put a gate in it and a ramp into the brothers field and have a swing on a tree. He lives out of the country but an agent looks after the renting of the land.

Just wondering it it something the agent should look after as I'd prefer not to get onto them myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Probably the best thing to do is put up your own fence outside it, sheep wire and 2 strands of barb wire on top that should do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭893bet

Nip it in the bud before they get comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We had this. We put up signs . A fence and a chain and lock on the gate they made onto our land. The message got through very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Get rid of that swing fairly lively anyway. Do as everyone posted above said.
    One little hurt on that swing and your brother will have no farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Take some photo's and send them to your brother and then talk to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Baoithin66 wrote: »
    Hi a family who purchased a neighboring house backing on to my brothers lands cut down part of the brothers hedge and erected a post and rail fence on their side. The even put a gate in it and a ramp into the brothers field and have a swing on a tree. He lives out of the country but an agent looks after the renting of the land.

Just wondering it it something the agent should look after as I'd prefer not to get onto them myself.

If I’m reading this right, they basically made an entrance with gate into your brothers land AND put a swing from a tree - is the tree on the mearing or more on your brothers side or theirs or is the tree in your brothers field?

I’d say a knock on the door from the agent should be in order here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

Fence the gap and throw them back their swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Just open the gate and let all the cattle in the field in on their lawn, sure what could go wrong:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭giveitholly

tanko wrote: »
    Just open the gate and let all the cattle in the field in on their lawn, sure what could go wrong:D

And get a chainsaw to the tree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭hopeso

tanko wrote: »

On a serious note, is the new fence that they erected stock proof? Even though it's entirely their own doing, they would soon follow your brother, or whoever rents the land, if stock were to get through it and cause damage....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

And get a chainsaw to the tree

Don’t do that !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭BnB

893bet wrote: »
    Nip it in the bud before they get comfortable.

Abso-freggin-lutely 100%

Whatever about cutting down the hedge and replacing with post and rail fencing. It might be harmless enough just to let light into their site - But 100% should not have even considered it without permission.

...but making an actual entrance into the field and putting a swing in there is completely extracting the urine and should be nipped in the bud straight away.

You mentioned that the land is rented. I wonder did they ask or say anything to the chap that is renting the land before doing it. It might be worth checking that out. Even from the point of view that he (the renter) might be presuming that your brother gave them permission and might be peeved with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

lock the gate , remove the swing

tip a load of topsoil into the gateway and set a new whitethorn hedge

erect signs

take pictures before and after

and maybe a dummy camera

erect signs

and maybe a dummy camera
    That's a bit over the top it's not your fence and gate to lock you can put up your own fence with out a gate and hand them back the swing and give them a nice polite chat about insurance and live stock and don't be a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,387 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You're a bit soft there, kerry. They need to know, one way or the other, where the line, in this case the boundary fence, is.

Water John wrote: »
    You're a bit soft there, kerry. They need to know, one way or the other, where the line, in this case the boundary fence, is.
    Old age, long road with out bends try the nice to be nice approach first and see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

erect signs

and maybe a dummy camera
    Is that you bull

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Please ignore all the advice urging you to take action yourself.
    Only your brother or his agent can deal with this problem.
    It definitely needs to be sorted so contact your brother asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

The parents are probably from farming background and remembers a time visiting there grandparents and running through the fields back in 70s and 80s and no body bated an eyelid. they might not realise that with the compo culture now that unfortunately that can't happen now days maybe a sample sighn no tresspassing might do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Thanks for all the advice folks. I'm gonna try and find out what sort of people they are first -they may or may not be approachable/reasonable. Based on what I find out I will probably refer it to my brother recommending that he talks to the agent to see if they will send out a letter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement