Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Nintendo on New TV

• 14-04-2020 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey I have just dug our my old Super Nintendo and want to hook it up to a new Samsung q60r TV. Just wondering what the best way of doing this would be if anybody knows. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The best, or the most inexpensive?

Because there's a big difference there.

I've mine running through a framemeister attached with RGB scart cables to get the best picture quality. You could also use a OSSC. Both will give excellent results, great picture quality and eliminate a lot of the lag that modern TVs generate. Neither option is cheap.

There's probably converters to convert a composite or RGB signal to HDMI but the cheap options are cheap for a reason, they give terrible picture quality and loads of lag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I’ll chime in here as someone who struggled with this for a while especially with my N64.

The lads on here are great helping with different options but being honest with you my advice is don’t bother trying to hook it up to a modern telly unless your incredibly into the hobby and can afford one of the solutions retrogamer listed.

Buy a cheap CRT on adverts. It’s the quickest, most affordable and best way to play your old consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

A good but fairly affordable option for decent quality would be to get a RAD2X if you're just hooking up a single console: Here

Other than that, if you want to hook up more consoles that output RGB that you have in your possession, an OSSC would be the way to go. And it upscales to higher resolutions over something like the RAD2X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

sugarman wrote: »
    If its only for casual use / messing about, a cheap €5 AV cable will do the job. Its not the best option and it wont give the best picture quality, but its more than playable.

Looking at the tv model, it doesn't seem to have av inputs. HDMI only.

I'd say the best route is to just buy a Snes Mini. Granted it won't be your original hardware, but it'll get the job done fine on a modern tv. If you truly want to use your original hardware, it's either buy an old CRT tv, or buy an external scaler as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BuckoA51

I would go Rad2X if SNES is the only console you want to hook up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Mick00

Thanks for the reply’s. I think I’ll go for the rad2x when they have them back in stock. I was only going to play it for some nostalgia and to show the kids. I’m not a huge gamer. I also have a GameCube which if I’m correct it will work with too. Thanks again

Advertisement