Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

714,000 on the dole and we wasnt to import workers to pick fruit & veg?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

exploiting the poverty of thousands of people getting them to cram into a planes to do our back breaking work while we are safely cocooned away from the virus - there is the spirit of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

exploiting the poverty of thousands of people getting them to cram into a planes to do our back breaking work while we are safely cocooned away from the virus - there is the spirit of the EU.

You can't blame the EU on Irish business wanting to import cheaper labour and Irish people unwilling to do this kind of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

So are these workers going into 14 day isolation upon arrival

Insert obligatory South Park reference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭antimatterx

sydthebeat wrote: »
    "Fruit picking" is not a career.

What about plumb pulling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

That's just a hobby for most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Back the 80's half of Trinners used to head off to Germany to work in some town where there was a lot of fruit packing/ tinning...We can do this!!!!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

silverharp wrote: »
    Back the 80's half of Trinners used to head off to Germany to work in some town where there was a lot of fruit packing/ tinning...We can do this!!!!

aint gonna happen, get over it

You can't blame the EU on Irish business wanting to import cheaper labour and Irish people unwilling to do this kind of work.
    i don't blame the EU, i'm saying its the spirit of the EU

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Same as chicken choking and monkey spanking..... Not a career but past time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

That's why I said target transition year students, low risk of infection, get them out of the house and stop driving their parents demented and earn some cash at the same time. This group will be looking to strike out on their own soon enough and here is an opportunity.

Perfectly reasonable argument and a traditional source of summer job income for teenagers & students. Win win for all. Should be no thought given to bringing in temporary farm labour from abroad to do these tasks.

Problem for the fruit growers though maybe the shrinkage of the lucrative road side selling market.

• Advertisement

I was hoping that self reliance was going to be one of the learnings from this crisis but its not looking likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I'm sure all those who are happy to work for less than minimum wage and illegal work practices have already volunteered their services to the industry. Easy to volunteer someone else.

I was hoping that self reliance was going to be one of the learnings from this crisis but its not looking likely

How would this work for apartment dwellers for example?

How would this work for apartment dwellers for example?
    i meant national self reliance.

i meant national self reliance.

A bit dated but I don't believe we have slipped far in the rankings.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/ireland-tops-world-league-for-country-best-able-to-feed-itself-36173994.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Last I saw we were ranked second for food security.

oy vey!

if you're determined not to get my point i'll leave you to it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Self-sufficiency encompasses feeding oneself and being able to look after labour needs without importing workers at can exploit. I never realised the ramifications this €350 payment would have until my little sister in law who works in a sports clothes shop a few days a week was earning basically a teacher's salary after tax per week while living at home with her parents! Course she's not going to go and pick fruit.

And like, I would not be a right-leaning person politically but it's just mind-boggling that a government can continue like this, taking populist actions which actually damage the country, claiming that there's an emergency and they have to remain in power, all the while making these shocking decisions with huge ramifications for the entire country, while we are powerless to protest.

The Facebook mom brigade going "well done ministers great job" are almost indistinguishable from the Concannonbots these days, I think they have been assimilated into the matrix.

oy vey!

if you're determined not to get my point i'll leave you to it

Your point was about self reliance, the article admittedly is dated but we can feed ourselves. I did hear it mentioned we produce enough to feed 36million admittedly the choice of foodstuffs maybe limited.
    Now if your point is more nuanced, prehaps you'd explain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

That's why I said target transition year students, low risk of infection, get them out of the house and stop driving their parents demented and earn some cash at the same time. This group will be looking to strike out on their own soon enough and here is an opportunity.

The farmers probably don't want lazy spotty-faced Irish teens, many of whom struggle to get out of bed in the morning with their late night xbox and coke snorting lifestyles!

They want tough hardened eastern europeans, who will work their socks off for very little money and rarely complain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If the farm is within 2km and the owner is strict about social distancing then I probably wouldn't mind doing something like this if I lost my job. In the UK, they are offering 80% of your salary and £15 per hour to do this work and still people won't do it - the risk is too great.

The farmers probably don't want lazy spotty-faced Irish teens, many of whom struggle to get out of bed in the morning with their late night xbox and coke snorting lifestyles!

They want tough hardened eastern europeans, who will work their socks off for very little money and rarely complain!

If people are unwilling to employ irish,no irish should buy off them

Every bit part,shopowner wannabe big shot used pedel this nonsense of refusing to.employ irish during the boom,almost none survived the recession

Your point was about self reliance, the article admittedly is dated but we can feed ourselves. I did hear it mentioned we produce enough to feed 36million admittedly the choice of foodstuffs maybe limited.
    Now if your point is more nuanced, prehaps you'd explain it.

we have enough food to feed ourselves (mostly in the form of beef and butter calories - we have virtually no wheat for bread for instance, flour is all imported) but we apparently have no labour to pick our veg. thats my point, national self reliance must include labour if it's to be worth anything. Let's say the virus was so bad that poor folk in Romania and Bulgaria couldn't be tempted to risk their lives and fly over here, would all our fruit and veg simply rot in the bush/tree or would we be able to find local labour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i can guarantee you, the majority of teenagers are not working in the fields, and if you asked them to, they d tell you to go fcuk yourself. seriously, rock up to most teenagers, and ask them would they d be interested in doing farm work! this has little or nothing to do about their abilities, they simply have no interest, as would most adults. we have moved on from hard physical labour, we have introduced mechanisation into that world. for those that are interested in doing this work, or have to, we should just make sure they re paid reasonable well, and have good working conditions.

You can't guarantee anything.....all over Ireland and the World Ireland youth are doing hard labour jobs. Yes you have a percentage who won't, but we always had a percetage that wouldn't. Prefer to stand leaning against a wall smoking a fag....

Plus the World hasn't moved on from hard labour, plenty of professions still require hard work....

we have enough food to feed ourselves (mostly in the form of beef and butter calories - we have virtually no wheat for bread for instance, flour is all imported) but we apparently have no labour to pick our veg. thats my point, national self reliance must include labour if it's to be worth anything. Let's say the virus was so bad that poor folk in Romania and Bulgaria couldn't be tempted to risk their lives and fly over here, would all our fruit and veg simply rot in the bush/tree or would we be able to find local labour?

Pay people the minimum wage and operate the employment rights that exist, should be no problem attracting workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You can't guarantee anything.....all over Ireland and the World Ireland youth are doing hard labour jobs. Yes you have a percentage who won't, but we always had a percetage that wouldn't. Prefer to stand leaning against a wall smoking a fag....

Plus the World hasn't moved on from hard labour, plenty of professions still require hard work....

Before this Coronavirus ever hit there were plenty on the live register who should be doing these fruit picking jobs . Plenty of our own ethnic community are able to do plenty of machete and slash hook swinging which would’ve very useful for fruit picking but their allowed lounge around at home from cradle to grave .

Pay people the minimum wage and operate the employment rights that exist, should be no problem attracting workers.
    What? Fruit pickers are paid at least minimum wage and the job is subject to all the usual employment laws and yet we need to import that labour...this has been the entire point of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Tell that to the man from Del Monte

The man from Del Monte says yes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

When they talk about how many people Ireland can feed I think we'd need to be eating a lot of powdered milk.

• Advertisement

What? Fruit pickers are paid at least minimum wage and the job is subject to all the usual employment laws and yet we need to import that labour...this has been the entire point of the thread.
    The imported fruit pickers are not paid minimum wage, it has already been mentioned on thread that it is an au pair type situation. Lower pay due to providing accommodation and food. Why would someone living here already find that situation attractive.
    Will you be taking up one of the roles?

Advertisement