Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lent my cousin €100, you won’t believe what happened next?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Maybe she was but at you say, she was desperate.

Jeez guys, must be great to have never found yourself in a hole and needing help. You are lucky.

In my case my parents have had to lend me money. Never so bad that it was 100 but I still needed to ask and yes, as an adult it's embarrassing but I had to swallow the pride. Mind you I fully paid it back faster than agreed but still if something else has gone wrong before I paid it back, then what?

I’d have no bother lending someone money when they are genuinely stuck and struggling. I wouldn’t go looking for it back either but leave it to them to sort it out in their own time.
    If however they come up with a hard luck story but they are smoking,drinking,drugging or gambling I’d have no bother with telling them to rev up and fcuk off.
    It all comes back to the old saying “wants and needs” and have a care would you let them take your kindness for weakness.
    Anyone who can afford any of the above 4 mentioned habits isn’t actually in bother but in fact are selfish fcukers with a lack of a budget and no financial insight due to being blinded by their own selfish habits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭jj880

Reminds me of a woman in my home town.

A plague always arguing in shops over tuppence and tryin to get out of payin for stuff. The type to send her kids round a bar tellin everyone it's their birthdays. Also she is not poor so has no call to be acting like this.

Anyway she got a boy from the local furniture shop to come down to fit carpet in a small room. So they agree a price and she tells him she'll leave a key out for him to get in. So he goes and does the job. Not even the smell of a euro did he get. Think it was 40 euro she owed. A real low life. But the local furniture store got the better deal. She wont set foot in the place in case she's asked to pay the 40 euro. A bargain if you ask me.

You got rid of yer leech of a cousin for 100 euro. Take the positive out of it and don't loan out any more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

There's a reason for the saying ' never a borrower or a lender be'.

Write it off for now. If by some miracle you get it back someday then be thankful and don't make that mistake again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You could screenshot the texts and publicly shame her on social media so all her friends see what kind she is.
    Or you could threaten to do so if she does not cough up the bread. Could you go to her parents and complain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Above advise seems a bit drastic it's a €100 not thousands which would be a different story .As I posted earlier the op got off light enough really and will learn from this and you never know it might be repaid at some point but in the meantime try let it go .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

You could screenshot the texts and publicly shame her on social media so all her friends see what kind she is.
    Or you could threaten to do so if she does not cough up the bread. Could you go to her parents and complain?

You'll end up looking like the bad guy if you follow this advice, either the shaming or the threats. Not worth it over 100 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭bilbot79

This is lender beware. What's the old saying?

'Never lend money to family and friends that you aren't prepared to write off'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Tork

GingerLily wrote: »
    You'll end up looking like the bad guy if you follow this advice, either the shaming or the threats. Not worth it over 100 quid.

It's unlikely to go down well in the wider family either. Nobody likes to have their family's dirty linen washed in public. If it happened in my family, it would make me very wary of the relative doing the shaming. I don't think I'd trust them or their judgement, if they thought shaming somebody on social media was a sensible thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op it's a €100 so I wouldn't be losing sleep over it to be honest, more fool them and just make it known and every so often drop a reminder but honestly it's gone, move on...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

I think the advice given has been fairly uniform and the OP seems to have agreed. As I don't think there's any further advice to be given I'm going to lock this thread.

Thanks & GRMA all who posted.

Thread locked

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement