Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Games Quiz April 2020 GAME THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭munster87

Well butter my fingers! Well done team! Fantastic! Cheers for running the quiz guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

What's the yucky green? Is that another ice-cream all together?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mint id say

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

baggly and koido, thanks a million for running that for us. a very welcome distraction!

I need to improve my knowledge across the board.

To the team, well it was a great effort. Just pipped by a few better teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Great quiz guys. Thanks for running it. Questions were just too tough for us obviously.

Obviously we need to brush up on our google usage. ;)

Thanks to teammates-Molly, Ted, Yossarian.

Thanks for the game Kolido and Baggly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Congrats to the winners, and thanks to my teammates for a good joint effort.

And thanks also to Baggly and Kolido, that was fun. Well apart from the movie posters and superhero logos rounds, we sucked at them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Obviously we need to brush up on our google usage. ;)

Thanks to teammates-Molly, Ted, Yossarian.

Thanks for the game Kolido and Baggly.
    Thinly veil accusations of others cheating? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

sullivlo wrote: »

Just because you are a sully, doesn't give you the right to sully my team-mates

:mad:

:P

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Just because you are a sully, doesn't give you the right to sully my team-mates

:mad:

:P
    Shurrup Ted or you will only walk alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Touché

• Advertisement

Careful Sully he is an admin now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Cracking quiz folks, I was a bit lost on the chocolate and glad I didn't fight for rocky for number 14. Thanks for running it.

Good job team - thought we were out of it a couple of days ago but it came together nicely.

Shurrup Ted or you will only walk alone.

Actually just thinking now - given the current social distancing guidelines you should only walk alone.

Nope. Just curious why the three top teams haven't appeared on the Eggheads yet. With scores like that, they'd give Kevin, Pat and co. a real run for their money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sheridan81 wrote:
    Nope. Just curious why the three top teams haven't appeared on the Eggheads yet. With scores like that, they'd give Kevin, Pat and co. a real run for their money.

Not me, my team were top when I subbed in and we finished third :pac:

True, you'd be no good on Eggheads, Necro.:)

Some others would clearly be brilliant judging by the scores. Well done to them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Pretty much every game played in FG is honour based. You can't really legislate for cheating, you just have to trust that other players don't. Any win by cheating is no win at all, so why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Well thanks for that. This is the third time I've played a FG quiz and the first time I've won it which I was delighted with but cheers for spoiling it. Not enough to have one dig you have to take another eh? You didn't win so others must have cheated...faultless logic there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

I can honestly say we didn't cheat either and finished second. The level of debate around some of the questions wouldn't have happened if we just relied on good old google.

We were lucky that we had someone on our team (Also Starring LeVar burton) who had unbelievable knowledge of the logos as I think that tripped up a lot of people in this quiz.

Anyway, congrats to the winners and thanks again to Baggly and Kolido for running this. A bit of a thankless job and open to less than positive feedback compared to the sheep/peehs/heeps games!

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Well thanks for that. This is the third time I've played a FG quiz and the first time I've won it which I was delighted with but cheers for spoiling it. Not enough to have one dig you have to take another eh? You didn't win so others must have cheated...faultless logic there.

Spoiling it? If it makes you feel better: congratulations and celebrations.

In this situation, as far as I'm concerned, the logical probability is that people are cheating. I don't believe for a second that those scores were obtained 100 percent legitimately and I'm not afraid to express my view. I don't care that we came last. I wasn't much help to my team and I wasn't that interested in winning, because I knew from looking at the scores that chicanery was afoot.
    lassykk wrote: »
    I can honestly say we didn't cheat either and finished second.

How can you honestly say 'we'? You don't know what your teammates are up to.
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Pretty much every game played in FG is honour based. You can't really legislate for cheating, you just have to trust that other players don't. Any win by cheating is no win at all, so why bother?

Indeed. Why do we bother?

How long are we going to continue the charade here on Forum Games? Can anyone here honestly say they haven't cheated at least once just a little on this forum? And whether one cheats a tad or goes whole hog on it is irrelevant; cheating is cheating and renders the exercise largely redundant.

It's called forum games. But the desire to impress teammates in quizzes and/or overcome opponents in other games such as peehs, picture peehs etc., where research is not permitted, and the eagerness to evade the embarrassment of the 'wooden spoon' is clearly proving too much of a temptation, and makes a mockery of the purpose of the forum.

There are clever members certainly, but the level of accurate answers on a myriad of subjects defies belief. You'd have to be naive to think there isn't something amiss. It's farcical. There simply aren't enough incorrect answers. It's an insult to the players who are at least trying to play honestly and the hosts of the various games. And it's cyclical and contagious. Why waste time trying to play with integrity when you know at least one opponent is just going to google?

I was going to make a thread about this issue and see if I could convince people to agree to suspend the rampant deceit but it appears it would be wishful thinking falling on deaf ears and utterly futile. I may as well say it here. I don't expect any support. You can all live in la la land if you wish.

I'm not outraged or peeved; it's not important to me, but the point has to be made, the elephant in the room may as well be addressed.

I'm pretty much done playing games where there are strict rules because those rules will invariably be broken. Table quizzes are a matter of honour and I don't see any honour here. I will stick to the sheep/heeps games and forget the majority of the rest. I hope I won't be missed. :p

Again, thanks to my team mates. Thanks to Kolido and Baggly for running the quiz-but why bother? I wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Spoiling it? If it makes you feel better: congratulations and celebrations.

In this situation, as far as I'm concerned, the logical probability is that people are cheating. I don't believe for a second that those scores were obtained 100 percent legitimately and I'm not afraid to express my view. I don't care that we came last. I wasn't much help to my team and I wasn't that interested in winning, because I knew from looking at the scores that chicanery was afoot.

How can you honestly say 'we'? You don't know what your teammates are up to.

Indeed. Why do we bother?

How long are we going to continue the charade here on Forum Games? Can anyone here honestly say they haven't cheated at least once just a little on this forum? And whether one cheats a tad or goes whole hog on it is irrelevant; cheating is cheating and renders the exercise largely redundant.

It's called forum games. But the desire to impress teammates in quizzes and/or overcome opponents in other games such as peehs, picture peehs etc., where research is not permitted, and the eagerness to evade the embarrassment of the 'wooden spoon' is clearly proving too much of a temptation, and makes a mockery of the purpose of the forum.

There are clever members certainly, but the level of accurate answers on a myriad of subjects defies belief. You'd have to be naive to think there isn't something amiss. It's farcical. There simply aren't enough incorrect answers. It's an insult to the players who are at least trying to play honestly and the hosts of the various games. And it's cyclical and contagious. Why waste time trying to play with integrity when you know at least one opponent is just going to google?

I was going to make a thread about this issue and see if I could convince people to agree to suspend the rampant deceit but it appears it would be wishful thinking falling on deaf ears and utterly futile. I may as well say it here. I don't expect any support. You can all live in la la land if you wish.

I'm not outraged or peeved; it's not important to me, but the point has to be made, the elephant in the room may as well be addressed.

I'm pretty much done playing games where there are strict rules because those rules will invariably be broken. Table quizzes are a matter of honour and I don't see any honour here. I will stick to the sheep/heeps games and forget the majority of the rest. I hope I won't be missed. :p

Again, thanks to my team mates. Thanks to Kolido and Baggly for running the quiz-but why bother? I wouldn't.

The only 'no google' games I host are codenames 'no google' and i feel that codenames 'no google' is more in the spirit of the game than a ban on using google, like if you don't know what a word means, by all means, google it, just don't use google to make obscure connections that would only ever be achieved if both cluer and guessers knew they could use and take advantage of googling for obscure connections, which can be a fun version of codenames too, as you can do crazy connection, but all sides use the 'no google' to stop that method of play if it suits the game that they wish to play.

Mod

Games over. Forum mod hat on.

Accuse people of cheating without proof one more time and its a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Right so you're not bothered...but you have to throw in a few sly digs in the comments until someone actually calls you out on it.

The point is to have fun. Maybe, maybe some people did Google. As you said, I can only know about my own behaviour but I prefer to trust my teammates and my opponents. It makes it more actual fun.

The thing is just as I can't 100% know that people didn't Google, you can't 100% know that people did but you're very happy to throw the accusations around.

Maybe I'm the idiot here. I've rarely won much on this forum but I like to play and I celebrate those who win without assuming they cheat. Silly, silly me.

. Thanks to Kolido and Baggly for running the quiz-but why bother? I wouldn't.

Well I don't suppose anyone else will bother after this one!

As regards the cheating.... You shouldn't judge everyone by your own standards. There were 4 people on every team, perhaps each person had different knowledge.
    I'm sure there are people on this forum who participate in lots of quizzes IRL.
    I can answer a lot of questions on TV quizzes , but never ever in that 'connection show ' with David Mitchells wife presenting.
    Doesn't mean I cheat on the other quizzes.
    Maybe people are just cleverer than you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

OMG, I love Only Connect, and Victoria Coren!

Undoubtedly some people are clever than I, bubblypop. Homer J. Fong for instance.

I'd like to reply, but I've been silenced by the mod and will take my leave.

You were not silenced. You were told to stop making accusations without proof. If you cant reply without doing so that is not the same as being silenced. I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Maybe people cheat, maybe they don't. So what.

What I will say is. It's a lot of fun to host a game but also effort and time. This kinda of carry on makes people less inclined to host games.

Discussion is important but drama and accusations don't allow for proper discussion.

Bags and Kol. I cheated. I'm sorry. I got a photo of a stag horn sent to me so I could show my team what a epiphytes was. (But I didn't want to Google). I didn't know what epi meant but I knew phytes was plants (cause I use phyto shampoo), we figured it out as a team. That's more fun for me than cheating but if someone else thinks winning is more important then let them at it.

Less drama more discussion to encourage other people to host!

Baggly wrote: »
    You were not silenced. You were told to stop making accusations without proof. If you cant reply without doing so that is not the same as being silenced. I'll thank you to not put words in my mouth.

You suggested I either apologise for calling a large group of posters cheaters or stop posting in the quiz thread.

I took that to mean I wasn't allowed to post here unless I apologized. I do not wish to apologize, therefore I will stop posting.

But I do apologize if I've put words in your mouth and misunderstood.

I think we are done here regardless.

Good day.:)

• Advertisement

And yet you continued to post so I clarified via further pms that you can have your opinions but can't throw around accusations.....best just stay plain out of the thread full stop from here on out.

Thanks.

Advertisement