Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What best to look for when buying a Poly Tunnel

Options
  • 14-04-2020 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a few place where I could invest in a Poly Tunnel. I have plenty of space but would like a couple of options size wise.

I would also like good quality and also

What Would You Recommend to Definitely Have /Include from Experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

I am following this for replies. I am also interested in investing

I am going to watch for replies too
    I am also researching Polytunnels

We got ours from Colm Warren.
    When researching almost everyone told us to get the next size up than what we were thinking as the space fills up quickly!

We went with a 32ft x 14 ft one in the end.

On his website you can build your own with differing additions like reinforced steel (which we opted for as we are coastal) timber or aluminium rails and doors, irrigation system (we went for drip) construction etc.

It was not cheap. We ended up spending about 3.5k but it was what we were wanting and are very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nutty Nutritionist

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful.

Couple of questions, as I am a complete newbie.
    1. How many do you feed from your poly tunnel?
    2. What do you grow?
    3. Do you use ground level beds, or are they raised (waist high).

Thanks for your reply. Very helpful.

Couple of questions, as I am a complete newbie.
      1. How many do you feed from your poly tunnel?
      2. What do you grow?
      3. Do you use ground level beds, or are they raised (waist high).

How many do you feed from your poly tunnel?
        Its just myself and my wife. We do give produce to my parents though.
        What we dont eat fresh we pickle and preserve.

What do you grow?
        This year we have tomatoes, peppers, chillies, melons, carrots, peas, lettuce, coriander, basil, new potatoes, spinach, aubergine, cucumber and strawberries.

I built raised beds and use them. I find them easier to manage. They are only 9 inches deep

• Advertisement

Thank you. Your info has been really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

I just put one up which was a bit smaller 4m *3.6 m . There was a good bit of work in putting it up but my job has been scaled down considerably so I had plenty of time ... it cost me 750 and 3 days on my own to erect but I’m very glad I did it and am looking forward to a productive season .

jimmyging wrote: »
        I just put one up which was a bit smaller 4m *3.6 m . There was a good bit of work in putting it up but my job has been scaled down considerably so I had plenty of time ... it cost me 750 and 3 days on my own to erect but I’m very glad I did it and am looking forward to a productive season .

Best of luck with it. I hope you have much success.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

If the budget can allow it I would recommend a polycrub. We put a 9x4 metre one up last year and love it. The polycarbonate sheeting will last such a long time.

Looking for thoughts and opinions on the following please

Polycarbonate or Polythene?

In terms of securing the tunnel - timber ground rail fitted or trenching?

Many Thanks

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭65535

I had one but a sudden northerly gust sent a wooden roof flying on to it and destroyed it.

Anyhow the new one I have has 3/4" poles rather than the previous 1/2".

Currently I am leveling the ground under it, I'll be putting this one on an E<->W Axis - the previous one was N<->S Axis.

I will have rainwater available in it and electricity as well.

It was about €280 - I collected it so it might have been more with postage.
        I got mine over adverts - https://www.adverts.ie/shops/in-the-market/

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭NewLeaf17

Thanks 'TheTorment' for your reply - Very inoformative!

And to the other replies. I feel a little be more informed in planning to purchase one. Thanks so much again.

Looking for thoughts and opinions on the following please

Polycarbonate or Polythene?

In terms of securing the tunnel - timber ground rail fitted or trenching?

Many Thanks

just bumping my previous questions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

65535 wrote: »
        I had one but a sudden northerly gust sent a wooden roof flying on to it and destroyed it.

Currently I am leveling the ground under it, I'll be putting this one on an E<->W Axis - the previous one was N<->S Axis.

If I was looking for a tunnel, id be looking for a 33mm bar and not 25mm. Just a bit stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭milout

just bumping my previous questions

If you go for the polycarbonate you won't be able to trench it, you'd have to dig in the anchors.

The polycarbonate was a lot easier to set up compared to polythene when it was just the two of us putting it together. We've not had ours for long so can't tell you how sturdy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Bill Hook

Hope it is OK to bump this thread. I am looking at tunnels at the moment and am confused about which axis it should be on. All of the UK sites say to put the long side facing into the wind but all the Irish tunnel companies tell me to face the gable end into the wind. Is an E - W axis better than a N - S?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭65535

If wind is prevalent in your area then keep the door end away from the wind if possible.
        It is a decision to make whether to place it N-S or E-W - that will depend on the site itself - if you have lots of room then I would go for E-W to maximise the sunshine.

I have a wind funnel effect with the prevailing wind channeled between 2 houses making it stronger.

I put down 6 fence spikes and used wooden fence posts, then screwed the frame to them using saddle clamps.
        Over the top of the polytunnel I have a tie down ratchet keeping the outer plastic in place.

If wind is prevalent in your area then keep the door end away from the wind if possible.
        It is a decision to make whether to place it N-S or E-W - that will depend on the site itself - if you have lots of room then I would go for E-W to maximise the sunshine.

I have a wind funnel effect with the prevailing wind channeled between 2 houses making it stronger.

I put down 6 fence spikes and used wooden fence posts, then screwed the frame to them using saddle clamps.
        Over the top of the polytunnel I have a tie down ratchet keeping the outer plastic in place.

I have a very open site and plenty of room so I can put it on either axis, it would just look nicer running N-S. I've planted a native hedge but it will be a good few years before that is any use as a wind break! It looks like I will be spending about 1.5k on a tunnel (14ft by 32ft, plastic buried in a trench) so I am trying to minimise the chance of it blowing away/shredding. Maybe I will put up some wind break fabric until the hedge grows a bit. I tend to over-research and over-think everything!

When I was getting my one I was also worried about which way to place mine. As I live with 1km of the coast it can get windy down here.

When I asked in Colm Warren, the girl that was dealing with us was also unsure and she went and asked Colm himself. He advised to have the door facing into the prevailing wind and that if it was extremely windy to open both front and rear doors to allow the wind pass through it.
        That was the way we set it down.

The day that the lads came to erect it from Colm Warren I was at work. They were just putting on the finishing touches when I arrived home.
        While sharing a cold drink with the workers I was chatting to the foreman lad. The positioning of the tunnel came up. He said that had he been putting it in for himself that he would have gone the opposite way. That is having the curved sides facing into the wind to allow the wind to roll over it.
        He did say that it would take some hurricane wind force to budge it though due to the upgraded steel and the depth that he had concreted in the posts.

I still dont know which way is the better way but after a couple of years and a few storms the tunnel has not seen any defects at all.

TheTorment wrote: »
        When I was getting my one I was also worried about which way to place mine. As I live with 1km of the coast it can get windy down here.

When I asked in Colm Warren, the girl that was dealing with us was also unsure and she went and asked Colm himself. He advised to have the door facing into the prevailing wind and that if it was extremely windy to open both front and rear doors to allow the wind pass through it.
        That was the way we set it down.

The day that the lads came to erect it from Colm Warren I was at work. They were just putting on the finishing touches when I arrived home.
        While sharing a cold drink with the workers I was chatting to the foreman lad. The positioning of the tunnel came up. He said that had he been putting it in for himself that he would have gone the opposite way. That is having the curved sides facing into the wind to allow the wind to roll over it.
        He did say that it would take some hurricane wind force to budge it though due to the upgraded steel and the depth that he had concreted in the posts.

I still dont know which way is the better way but after a couple of years and a few storms the tunnel has not seen any defects at all.

Good to hear that it is still standing! I have read about opening the doors both ends in strong wind and it all sounds reasonable enough but then I was looking at Nicky Kyle's website and she says to make it as airtight as possible in strong winds and not to open the doors.

• Advertisement
      Advertisement