Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLSS 2.0 - seems a bit of a game changer

Options
  • 14-04-2020 1:22pm

not-directly ray-tracing related but only works on RTX cards as needs the tensor cores

it's an ai-based upscaling tech so for example 540p card output can be upscaled to 1080p and look as-good / almost as good

works with ray-tracing off or on

can dramatically improve fps rates

version 1.0 was blurry. version 2.0 is being lauded as pretty amazing

obviously works on pretty much no games at the moment but now it can be applied automatically as opposed to manually going forward - should be pretty much mandatory from what this shows....

hopefully AMD will implement something similar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Seems great but hardly any games support it or will support it. Typical Nvidia proprietary crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The implementation in Control is fantastic (and a game that heavily ray traces a lot of things not just making everything shiny and reflective), and a fantastic game. I did find original DLSS very blurry but the 2.0 is much much better. Its a fantastic technology, they need to get it into Vulcan and Source 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

That is really cool. As the dude himself said - getting extra performance for free.

The implementation in Control is fantastic (and a game that heavily ray traces a lot of things not just making everything shiny and reflective), and a fantastic game. I did find original DLSS very blurry but the 2.0 is much much better. Its a fantastic technology, they need to get it into Vulcan and Source 2.

I doubt an open source API like Vulkan would implement a proprietary technology like that. Unless AMD can come up with something similar.

Some of the big game engines like Unreal will no doubt support it though.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Seems great but hardly any games support it or will support it. Typical Nvidia proprietary crap.

if you watch the video the process of applying is now automated.

Nvidia will give it away for free to the games companies as it's a selling point for their hardware.

It will undoubtedly be supported in a lot more games as it's a selling point for the games also.

win-win

• Advertisement

Interesting tech all the same. Will be a tough battle between AMD and Nvidia with the next gen of cards I think.

I'll happily switch back to Nvidia with their next gen if this takes off along with the ray tracing. Your turn AMD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BloodBath wrote: »
    I'll happily switch back to Nvidia with their next gen if this takes off along with the ray tracing. Your turn AMD.

AMD is making the graphics chips in the next consoles again.
    They will be based on RDNA 2.0, which is expected be including similar compute functionality to RTX but probably on a lesser scale to the overpowered tensor cores in the RTX cards(for what they are needed for).
    They are both extremely similar in design now to a PC, including CPU and graphics card.
    Microsoft is pushing heavily its own version of DLSS(directML), which would be applicable to both the new xbox and PC(and should work on RTX cards). I expect the playstation will have something similar.
    As most games now are cross platform and PC sales don't make up anywhere close to a majority, it seems that over the next decade Nvidia will have to dig deep to keep paying developers to implement their proprietary code. And even then, it will be PC only features.

Simply put, why develop 3 version of the game when you can develop 2.

This isn't something new, Nvidia have been trying for years to lock AMD out of the market via proprietary code and it hasn't worked. Cuda has been the only noticeable success in this regard(non gaming related) and to be honest, large companies do not like vendor lock-in like CUDA. When they get a opportunity to move, over the years a lot of them will migrate away.

Simply put, why develop 3 version of the game when you can develop 2.

but as I understand it this is a support feature that can now be done in an automated fashion so it's not really a case of "different versions" of the game?

and despite the competition haven't seen any talk of 50% fps increases like is being achieved with Nvidia's DLSS 2.0?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's not fair to bash Nvidia over this, they brought to market 2 very interesting feature and of course it's proprietary* since they're the only ones doing it. It's not their fault that the others are lagging behind in both performance and features.

*It's not really, RTX is not proprietary, it's exposed through DX and Vulkan APIs. DLSS is, but only because there's no API yet.

Advertisement