Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying a Black Lab pup

Options
  • 14-04-2020 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi lads, just looking for any advice on this. I plan on getting a Black lab at some stage, hopefully a few months time. I’ve had a few pointers before and my last dog died around a month ago, lovely dog but was very hyper for most of his life. The type of hunting I do now a black lab would suit me perfect so my mind is made up on that. I want him to be a companion most of all and walk nicely on a lead and not pull the hand off me like the pointers did. Sit calmly in a hide and retrieve a few pigeons and hopefully hunt a little bit ahead of me and drive out the odd pheasant( but not overly bothered by this).
    Now the advice I’m looking for is this. I have a nice little run 12x10 covered with sheeting and an insulated house 3x6 built into it. It’s obviously lockable but I never had the heart to lock the pointers in. I had about 1/3 an acre at the back that I fenced off with the electric collar system and gave them the run of that. They were fully grown by the time I installed that though and I’m wondering if I do the same with a pup will I ruin him?
    Perhaps an older dog(6-12 months) would suit better as he would be a bit calmer and maybe used to being in a run? I don’t mind spending a few pound on the right dog and was wondering do the field trials lads sell on dogs that don’t make their grade but would do me fine, has anyone done this before?
    Also I’ve 2 young kids and I want my dog to be as much a pet as a hunter but should be concerned about him becoming too much of a lapdog or will letting him do both have any negative effects?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Kranob wrote: »
    Hi lads, just looking for any advice on this. I plan on getting a Black lab at some stage, hopefully a few months time. I’ve had a few pointers before and my last dog died around a month ago, lovely dog but was very hyper for most of his life. The type of hunting I do now a black lab would suit me perfect so my mind is made up on that. I want him to be a companion most of all and walk nicely on a lead and not pull the hand off me like the pointers did. Sit calmly in a hide and retrieve a few pigeons and hopefully hunt a little bit ahead of me and drive out the odd pheasant( but not overly bothered by this).
    Now the advice I’m looking for is this. I have a nice little run 12x10 covered with sheeting and an insulated house 3x6 built into it. It’s obviously lockable but I never had the heart to lock the pointers in. I had about 1/3 an acre at the back that I fenced off with the electric collar system and gave them the run of that. They were fully grown by the time I installed that though and I’m wondering if I do the same with a pup will I ruin him?
    Perhaps an older dog(6-12 months) would suit better as he would be a bit calmer and maybe used to being in a run? I don’t mind spending a few pound on the right dog and was wondering do the field trials lads sell on dogs that don’t make their grade but would do me fine, has anyone done this before?
    Also I’ve 2 young kids and I want my dog to be as much a pet as a hunter but should be concerned about him becoming too much of a lapdog or will letting him do both have any negative effects?

My black lab is a lapdog but does everything hunting wise , beating, retrieving , tracking shot deer, etc,
    Most I learned from talking to other owners, watching youtube videos etc
    Teaching to walk to heel early on , using treats to get the dog to go out , go left go right etc, all to verbal/hand commands as I could never manage a whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kranob

Sounds like a perfect dog. With the lockdown and the spare time that comes with it I miss having my dog to walk or head down the fields with.

Advertisement