Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joyces supermarket Knocknacarra - prices at the till never reflect special offers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Best thing about Joyce's is the alcohol section. I would only go there to get a few small bits, never a full shop. I've been done at the tills on a good few occassions for incorrect pricing so I always check the receipt.

I’m the same. Cannot understand when I see people with a full cart in there. The place is such a rip off. I always take my receipt. It’s like they don’t even want to give it to because they know you’ll find some price wrong on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Super value is no different to the others when it comes to items not reflecting price on the shelf,many times I've seen it, because ive been stung and always watch for it now. Coincidence me ass.

Super value is no different to the others when it comes to items not reflecting price on the shelf,many times I've seen it, because ive been stung and always watch for it now. Coincidence me ass.

I do my full shop in SuperValu pretty much every week and off the top of my head I can’t remember even once being mislead on price like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You ever try Iceland
    If Iceland wanted to get a foothold in Ireland, they'd invest in migrating their online UK grocery delivery here, it is an opportune time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

I do my full shop in SuperValu pretty much every week and off the top of my head I can’t remember even once being mislead on price like this.

At least half a dozen times when super valu were in Oranmore........3 times alone on one shop....woman on the cashier started complaining to me when I pulled her up the third time about an item being charged full price...told her to talk to her manager as it's not my fault but super valus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If you feel that the mis pricing is a regular occurrence and that Joyces are taking the whizz you can lodge a complaint with the competition and consumer protection commission.
    https://www.ccpc.ie/

More information here.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/pricing/price_display_of_goods_and_services.html

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

flazio wrote: »
    If you feel that the mis pricing is a regular occurrence and that Joyces are taking the whizz you can lodge a complaint with the competition and consumer protection commission.
    https://www.ccpc.ie/

More information here.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/pricing/price_display_of_goods_and_services.html

Great Idea. I wonder are these more toothless state organisations or have they actually prosecuted anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Great Idea. I wonder are these more toothless state organisations or have they actually prosecuted anyone?

I made a complaint to them about overcharging on special deals in Joyces about 5 or 6 years ago, using their online form.

In fairness to them, they contacted me a few days after and asked if they could call me. On the call they explained that they investigate supermarkets mainly regarding 2 issues:

1) Overcharging at the till

2) Not displaying prices on the aisles, or not displaying price per unit (weight / volume / etc.)

The 2nd issue is much easier to prosecute as the customer just has to send them detailed photos showing the infringements.

The next time I called in at that time, I took 7 or 8 photos of the 2nd issue, and they were fined. The fine was later reduced, by the supermarket making a charitable donation.

I was told that I was one of thirty consumers who had complained at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Hintel

SuperValu does be at something similar

Special offers dotted all over the shop

The shelf is often then filled with a higher priced item of a slightly different size or weight to the special offer

As SuperValu is a franchise I imagine a lot of the problems come down to the local owner not being diligent enough, putting up or taking down promotional signs, mixing stock or whatever.

Some are much better than others, but there shouldn't be any excuse.

Everything is within Joyce's control so they have no excuse either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

As SuperValu is a franchise I imagine a lot of the problems come down to the local owner not being diligent enough, putting up or taking down promotional signs, mixing stock or whatever.

Some are much better than others, but there shouldn't be any excuse.

Everything is within Joyce's control so they have no excuse either.

Its exactly this, when prices are changed the system automatically generates a list of the shelf edge labels so that they can be printed and put out. If this is not happening its poor management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

They seem to have been struggling with this for years.

If they actually wanted to fix it... they should bite the bullet and invest in electronic shelf labels that are tied to the same system as the tills.

electon-shelf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    They seem to have been struggling with this for years.

If they actually wanted to fix it... they should bite the bullet and invest in electronic shelf labels that are tied to the same system as the tills.

electon-shelf.jpg

Sv in Esc had them 20 years ago, never took here really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Sv in Esc had them 20 years ago, never took here really.

I’m sure the technology has advance since then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The Athenry store has pallets of stuff everywhere in it.its like they were parachute dropped in and were left wherever they landed.
    Between that obstacle course,dodgey sell by dates,and dodgey prices at the tills every fcukin time,you would want to be badly stuck to go in.
    Loughrea is 40 times better a town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

This has become more common in loads of stores thanks perhaps to the advent of tap n' go pay
    Many shops won't even offer a receipt unless you request one (saving the trees or something).

The simple solution is always request a receipt and check it when back in the car etc.
    If something isn't correct snap a photo of product barcode and receipt, and email your local Trading Standards folks.
    Taking a photo of the in-store POS display is a bit overboard, but if you're getting ripped off weekly, why not.

Once they get slapped with regular 10k fines for breaking the law, they'll soon smarten up.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

This has become more common in loads of stores thanks perhaps to the advent of tap n' go pay
    Many shops won't even offer a receipt unless you request one (saving the trees or something).

The simple solution is always request a receipt and check it when back in the car etc.
    If something isn't correct snap a photo of product barcode and receipt, and email your local Trading Standards folks.
    Taking a photo of the in-store POS display is a bit overboard, but if you're getting ripped off weekly, why not.

Once they get slapped with regular 10k fines for breaking the law, they'll soon smarten up.

That's a fair point in regards to pricing issues. I haven't seen the dodgy dates in any other supermarkets.....it a safety issue. The pricing is annoying but selling dodgy gone off food is dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

That's a fair point in regards to pricing issues. I haven't seen the dodgy dates in any other supermarkets.....it a safety issue. The pricing is annoying but selling dodgy gone off food is dangerous.
    Wasn't really refering to product dates, this is much harder to solve, and something that the customer can control themselves with a quick glance.

BBD arem't as serious as USEBY dates anyhow, and the 'use by' is generally only for chilled (not frozen) perishable items.

Fines are easier to apply to promotional products, (usually with enhanced displays), that are wrongly priced.
    It's also a simple (bar code & adjustment) system fix, unlike checking various dates, do there is no excuse for it if it occurs regularly.

It's a case-by-case basis as to whether or not it's intentional 'mistake'.

The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) in Ireland has statutory powers of enforcement and can take action against Irish-based businesses for breaches of consumer law, including misleading pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Wasn't really refering to product dates, this is much harder to solve, and something that the customer can control themselves with a quick glance.

BBD arem't as serious as USEBY dates anyhow, and the 'use by' is generally only for chilled (not frozen) perishable items.

Fines are easier to apply to promotional products, (usually with enhanced displays), that are wrongly priced.
    It's also a simple (bar code & adjustment) system fix, unlike checking various dates, do there is no excuse for it if it occurs regularly.

It's a case-by-case basis as to whether or not it's intentional 'mistake'.

The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) in Ireland has statutory powers of enforcement and can take action against Irish-based businesses for breaches of consumer law, including misleading pricing

Having to check every item for dates is a total head wrecker.....which is why I gave up long ago on doing big shops there.....it's a last resort now for a couple of items very rarely. It's a shame they've acquired such a bad name for dates and prices given they have well located stores.

That Oranmore shop was a gold mine and now there's more staff than customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I’m sure the technology has advance since then

Not to the degree that any of the multiples use it or stores in any other part of the world I've been to for that matter.

• Advertisement

The best piece of tech that should become common everywhere (I know a few places have it but never anywhere Ive shopped) is the mobile scanners where you scan as you go. Would make shopping a lot easier overall but also help to spot things like price errors as you go.

I have been getting shopping delivered since the outbreak and thats also something I will do again though probably not every week. Certainly handy though to sit down and just click away.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roytheboyo

I was overcharged three times in one week, special offers not actually reduced at till. I have to chevk the receipt every time now, and am often overcharged. Their milk often goes off before the best before date, as they don't refrigerate prior to bringing into the shops. It's a disgusting supermarket, I avoid at all costs even though I live close to one. Social distancing also non existent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

roytheboyo wrote: »
    I was overcharged three times in one week, special offers not actually reduced at till. I have to chevk the receipt every time now, and am often overcharged. Their milk often goes off before the best before date, as they don't refrigerate prior to bringing into the shops. It's a disgusting supermarket, I avoid at all costs even though I live close to one. Social distancing also non existent

In fairness once bitten, twice shy. Plenty of other shops in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Fr Griffin Road was the local shop when I was in Galway. Was great as a SuperValu, remember it had all sorts of interesting products from smaller producers and the off license was great for beers.

The transition to Joyce's just makes the place a pain (or, maybe I just have fond memories of the Super Valu going there as a child with my granddad...!). When I go home to Galway, they never have everything I need - never. And I'm not looking for a lot. Just to make a nice dinner for my family. So frustrating, and then I lose time because I have to go into Dunnes in the city. At leas the change has not impacted their off license section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

roytheboyo wrote: »
    ... Social distancing also non existent

This is the bit I find particularly distasteful about Joyce's right now. Any of the other issues here could be mistakes (although the excuses have worn thin years ago). This though shows that they couldn't care less about their staff or their customers. Any family owned store which is too lazy to put in place accepted and recommended measures, the absence of which puts lives and health in danger, is run by a despicable slimy family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

?Cee?view wrote: »
    This is the bit I find particularly distasteful about Joyce's right now. Any of the other issues here could be mistakes (although the excuses have worn thin years ago). This though shows that they couldn't care less about their staff or their customers. Any family owned store which is too lazy to put in place accepted and recommended measures, the absence of which puts lives and health in danger, is run by a despicable slimy family.

What haven’t they in place that they should?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Fr Griffin Road was the local shop when I was in Galway. Was great as a SuperValu, remember it had all sorts of interesting products from smaller producers and the off license was great for beers.

The transition to Joyce's just makes the place a pain (or, maybe I just have fond memories of the Super Valu going there as a child with my granddad...!). When I go home to Galway, they never have everything I need - never. And I'm not looking for a lot. Just to make a nice dinner for my family. So frustrating, and then I lose time because I have to go into Dunnes in the city. At leas the change has not impacted their off license section.

The first time my wife was in Ireland, we were in that Super Valu. I suppose growing up here I took it for granted. I thought it was just any old shop. She thought the fruit and veg was really good and cheap and like you said they had these powders and sauces that would not have been common in franchise grocery stores in the US.

That place is and was terrible for parking though.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The first time my wife was in Ireland, we were in that Super Valu. I suppose growing up here I took it for granted. I thought it was just any old shop. She thought the fruit and veg was really good and cheap and like you said they had these powders and sauces that would not have been common in franchise grocery stores in the US.

That place is and was terrible for parking though.

The car park underneath is very handy

What haven’t they in place that they should?

I can only speak to Father Griffin Road and Knocknacarra stores.

Father Griffin - nothing in the underground car park, no signage or anything to indicate that there is a current pandemic and definitely nothing to clean anything provided. Nothing to clean trolleys with. No staff member checking to ensure compliance with distancing. No control on numbers of customers entering or leaving shop. I've not been there in over 10 days. Token floor signs at tills showing 2 metre spacing. Maybe things have improved.

Knocknacarra - I've not been there in over a week. Cleaning materials empty. No way to clean trolleys or baskets. No staff member checking to ensure compliance with distancing. No control on numbers of customers entering or leaving shop. Token floor signing and some reorganisation of shelves to encourage a different flow.

I now avoid Joyces completely and will continue to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

First time I shoped in Joyces Knocknacarra they did that to me and since then whenever I "rarely" shop there I check the price of those things as they scan, Once I bought good few yogurt tubs half price and I paid half price to find later the expiry date was the following day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement