Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joyces supermarket Knocknacarra - prices at the till never reflect special offers

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Are they delivering to seniors?Hope they aint getting ripped off

roytheboyo wrote: »
    Social distancing also non existent

I have little time for Joyces, and I can only speak about the Athenry branch but they have
    - one in/one out once the store gets any ways busy
    - gloves at the door and signs requesting all customers use them
    - materials to clean your trolley/basket
    - Barriers in place at all the tills
    - All staff wearing gloves
    - Floor markings everywhere
    etc. etc

It's the one thing they have done well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I have little time for Joyces, and I can only speak about the Athenry branch but they have
    - one in/one out once the store gets any ways busy
    - gloves at the door and signs requesting all customers use them
    - materials to clean your trolley/basket
    - Barriers in place at all the tills
    - All staff wearing gloves
    - Floor markings everywhere
    etc. etc

It's the one thing they have done well.

The barriers they put up in the city are the cheapest tackiest I’ve seen around

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

In fairness there's no socially distancing issue as there's so few customers in their stores. Gloves and sanitiser available this week. That's been my experience anyway. Not a regular customer but it's the closest supermarket to me so I'm going once a week but not for my main shop.

The barriers they put up in the city are the cheapest tackiest I’ve seen around

What are you looking for in a emergency installation? Chrome plating?

Please troll better

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

What are you looking for in a emergency installation? Chrome plating?

Please troll better

Lidal, McGrath’s butchers, any petrol station I’ve been into have managed it

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

?Cee?view wrote: »
    I can only speak to Father Griffin Road and Knocknacarra stores.

Father Griffin - nothing in the underground car park, no signage or anything to indicate that there is a current pandemic and definitely nothing to clean anything provided. Nothing to clean trolleys with. No staff member checking to ensure compliance with distancing. No control on numbers of customers entering or leaving shop. I've not been there in over 10 days. Token floor signs at tills showing 2 metre spacing. Maybe things have improved.

Knocknacarra - I've not been there in over a week. Cleaning materials empty. No way to clean trolleys or baskets. No staff member checking to ensure compliance with distancing. No control on numbers of customers entering or leaving shop. Token floor signing and some reorganisation of shelves to encourage a different flow.

I now avoid Joyces completely and will continue to do so.

Anytime I've been in the Knocknacarra store in the past month has had sanitizers, wipes, etc. Also queuing marked outside to control the number of customers inside, and a staff member controlling the entrance.

As its quieter than Dunnes, it is easier and safer to get around. I find that Dunnes has all the controls outside but a free for all once you get inside with no distancing practiced by the majority of its customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Anytime I've been in the Knocknacarra store in the past month has had sanitizers, wipes, etc. Also queuing marked outside to control the number of customers inside, and a staff member controlling the entrance.

As its quieter than Dunnes, it is easier and safer to get around. I find that Dunnes has all the controls outside but a free for all once you get inside with no distancing practiced by the majority of its customers.

Fair comment. We may just have had different experiences at different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    Only go in the Headford Joyces if I really must. Always ripped off by incorrect pricing on offers they don't apply at the till. Food seems expensive there. Seems from the thread both are the norm. One or more of their Contactless card payments weren't working with KBC bank cards. Not sure that's fixed... Haven't been in for months. Also I find their alcohol is expensive and only the "4 for a tenner" offers are decent. They used to have a massive mark up on items with the GBP price on them, but seem to have stopped that in the last year.

I thought they could get away with poor service as they are the only supermarket around but it appears the other Joyces are just as bad. Remember when they were two virtually identical stores side by side in Headford before the new building? That was so odd. I remember being in one and they said oh we've run out of that but next door would surely have some. So I always ended up going into both stores looking for stuff. Just bizarre... Headford really needs another place to open to give them something to think about.

That hasn't been my experience but it's improved over last couple of weeks. But definitely no sanitizer a month ago. No monitoring doors either.

But they have to do it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    Only go in the Headford Joyces if I really must. Always ripped off by incorrect pricing on offers they don't apply at the till. Food seems expensive there. Seems from the thread both are the norm. One or more of their Contactless card payments weren't working with KBC bank cards. Not sure that's fixed... Haven't been in for months. Also I find their alcohol is expensive and only the "4 for a tenner" offers are decent. They used to have a massive mark up on items with the GBP price on them, but seem to have stopped that in the last year.

I thought they could get away with poor service as they are the only supermarket around but it appears the other Joyces are just as bad. Remember when they were two virtually identical stores side by side in Headford before the new building? That was so odd. I remember being in one and they said oh we've run out of that but next door would surely have some. So I always ended up going into both stores looking for stuff. Just bizarre... Headford really needs another place to open to give them something to think about.

Can't see it happening for Headford, I'm afraid. It's been growing steadily as a town but it's sandwiched between Galway and Ballinrobe and Galway and Tuam. Don't see Aldi, Lidl, Tesco or Dunnes going in there. There's also a serial objector there...

Unfortunately, it looks like Keady's have closed for good too. They put the place up for sale a few months ago and seemed to decide to call it a day when COVID hit. The owner is pretty old so it probably made sense for him. A shame, he's a lovely man and I went in there as often as I could to support them.

If you look at what has happened now too. The main street of Headford has been gutted. The credit union and the post office both relocated to Joyce's. Duffy's couldn't keep afloat. Most of the pubs are gone. It's a real pity.

I was reading some other posts about Athenry recently and it sounds like there's a little bit of that going on there now too.

No hand sanitizer today. Just a spray cleaner for trolleys.....not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Unfounded speculation and related chat deleted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Gal2glam

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^

It’s really a rotten shop, never enough people on the tills and their stuff is really expensive. He has a monopoly in Headford unfortunately and he’d definitely oppose to anyone else going in there. He blocked the building of a bus shelter outside the shop because he wants people coming into the shop.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think we stop here.
    If you don't like the shop, don't shop there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement