Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I look for when buying a good camera

Options
  • 14-04-2020 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

Im looking to buy a decent DSLR camera. I used to do allot of photography but my old camera was cheap and not very good, it eventually stopped working. Im looking to get back into photography and want a decent camera that takes good images. My budget is 900 and under but honestly I dont know what im buying.
    Any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any of the main entry level DSLR bodies will be fine. i know this is not great advice given the circumstances, but the best thing would be to go and manhandle some and see what feels best in your hand.
    your budget would also allow you to buy a standard prime too, which is usual advice for someone investing in a new DSLR.

apart from that, you need to decide which of the non-photographic functions you like - wireless capability, video capability, etc., and also factor them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

any of the main entry level DSLR bodies will be fine. i know this is not great advice given the circumstances, but the best thing would be to go and manhandle some and see what feels best in your hand.
    your budget would also allow you to buy a standard prime too, which is usual advice for someone investing in a new DSLR.

apart from that, you need to decide which of the non-photographic functions you like - wireless capability, video capability, etc., and also factor them in.

Thank you
    I would like a lens that captures different lengths and has macro and zoom.
    I would love to go and handle some cameras but obviously with restrictions, thats not possible right now. I was hoping that I could use the camera while on lockdown. I go for walks once or twice a week, within 2km of my home and usually head off the beaten track. So I would like a camera for these walks.

Theres just so many on the different websites that I dont know what to go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Thank you I would like a lens that captures different lengths and has macro and zoom

That's a big ask for a single lens. You might find one that "kinda" does all that, but it'll be unlikely to do them all well.

Generally for macro work, dedicated macro prime lenses are the way to go for good results.
    With deep zooms, you generally feet less sharpness, more chromatic aberration, more vignetting, and more distortion.

You'll probably want to figure out what kind of photography you want to do, and get lenses tailored for those styles.
    In the meantime, starting off with a good quality not-too-deep zoom is generally a good way to go.
    For a starter DSLR body, You're likely to have a "crop" sensor. (Entry level aren't full frame) so an 18-55mm of 18-70mm zoom is probably what'll come with the body, and is a good place to start.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, another issue with a 'do it all' zoom is that they have a much poorer maximum aperture; so they're not nearly as good in low light (they'll often only be able to gather in a fifth or a tenth of the amount of light a standard prime will, 'wide open'), and you've less control over depth of field as a result too.

Thanks for the replies.
    Ive been looking at these two and wondering if they would be worth the cost and which one to go for?

https://www.did.ie/canon-eos-2000d-dslr-camera-black-2728c006aa-2728c006aa-prd

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/cameras-and-camcorders/digital-cameras/dslr-and-compact-system-cameras/canon-eos-4000d-dslr-camera-with-ef-s-18-55-mm-f-3-5-5-6-iii-ef-75-300-mm-f-4-5-6-iii-lens-10177607-pdt.html

Im leaning more towards the second one because the video said it takes good detailed shots but im not sure. Can anyone help?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I did a comparison here and they're basically the same camera: https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos4000d&products=canon_eos2000d

Id say whichever you get the best deal on. Specs seem slightly better on the 2000D. I've never used that one but it sounds like it would do what you're looking for it to do. For me it would be too big and chunky, but there's a compromise with every camera. Those specs but more compact would probably cost more.
    I have a Sony because it was lighter for travelling. But every time I go to buy a new lens it costs a bomb.

dory wrote: »
    I did a comparison here and they're basically the same camera: https://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos4000d&products=canon_eos2000d

Id say whichever you get the best deal on. Specs seem slightly better on the 2000D. I've never used that one but it sounds like it would do what you're looking for it to do. For me it would be too big and chunky, but there's a compromise with every camera. Those specs but more compact would probably cost more.
    I have a Sony because it was lighter for travelling. But every time I go to buy a new lens it costs a bomb.

Thanks for that, that is really helpful. Would the second one be worth the extra cost since it comes with a second lens? Is the lens better? sorry for all the questions I just want to get something worth the cost as im hoping ill have it forever.

Thanks for all your help

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If they're the same, I'd go for the one from Currys, primarily as it comes with a 18-55 mm & 75-300 lens. The one from DID one only has a 18-55mm lens.

The 18-55mm will do for up close, and the 75-300mm lens will be good for far away.

/edit; I see Currys has a deal; the above deal with SD cards. Unless you already have the SD cards, it's not a bad deal.

the_syco wrote: »
    If they're the same, I'd go for the one from Currys, primarily as it comes with a 18-55 mm & 75-300 lens. The one from DID one only has a 18-55mm lens.

The 18-55mm will do for up close, and the 75-300mm lens will be good for far away.

/edit; I see Currys has a deal; the above deal with SD cards. Unless you already have the SD cards, it's not a bad deal.

Thats what I was thinking.

Is there much of a difference between 18 megapixels and 24?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I don't know anything about cameras but take a look at this.

https://www.stuff.tv/features/5-things-you-need-know-about-canons-beginner-friendly-2000d-and-4000d-dslrs

I did purchase a DSLR about 2 years ago but only because someone here on boards spotted a bargain in Argos, got a Nikon for half price, I gave it to family member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/canon-2000d-vs-canon-4000d
    The resolution advantage of the Canon 2000D implies greater flexibility for cropping images or the possibility to print larger pictures.

The maximum print size of the 2000D for good quality output (200 dots per inch) amounts to 30 x 20 inch or 76.2 x 50.8 cm, for very good quality (250 dpi) 24 x 16 inch or 61 x 40.6 cm, and for excellent quality (300 dpi) 20 x 13.3 inch or 50.8 x 33.9 cm.

The corresponding values for the Canon 4000D are 25.9 x 17.3 inch or 65.8 x 43.9 cm for good quality, 20.7 x 13.8 inch or 52.7 x 35.1 cm for very good quality, and 17.3 x 11.5 inch or 43.9 x 29.3 cm for excellent quality prints.
    So the 2000D would be a slightly better camera, but the 4000D deal is better for a starter as it has the 75-300mm lens.

Went looking, and found this;
    https://www.camera.ie/products/15215 is not a bad deal at €579, as it also has the 18-55mm and 75-300mm lens, compared to the 4000D at €599
    EOS 2000D 18-55 IS + 75-300mm Twin Lens Kit + Free Camera Centre BackPack & 16GB Memory Card Now Included Worth €110 (Limited Time Only!)
    Not sure if they're delivering, though.

the_syco wrote: »
    From https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/canon-2000d-vs-canon-4000d

So the 2000D would be a slightly better camera, but the 4000D deal is better for a starter as it has the 75-300mm lens.

Went looking, and found this;
    https://www.camera.ie/products/15215 is not a bad deal at €579, as it also has the 18-55mm and 75-300mm lens.

Not sure if they're delivering, though.

Oh my god youre amazing. Thank you so much, thats such a good deal.

august12 wrote: »
    I don't know anything about cameras but take a look at this.

https://www.stuff.tv/features/5-things-you-need-know-about-canons-beginner-friendly-2000d-and-4000d-dslrs

I did purchase a DSLR about 2 years ago but only because someone here on boards spotted a bargain in Argos, got a Nikon for half price, I gave it to family member.

Thats really helpful, thank you.

Forget the megapixels. That will make zero difference to you. The extra lens is only good value if you're going to use it. Might be good for sports, etc. if you have that use in mind. We have a similar one and it's only ever been used to shoot a couple of football matches and to take photos of birds, so it's not as if we've got value for money out of it. As I mentioned, a standard prime is probably something you'd get better use from.

Forget the megapixels. That will make zero difference to you. The extra lens is only good value if you're going to use it. Might be good for sports, etc. if you have that use in mind. We have a similar one and it's only ever been used to shoot a couple of football matches and to take photos of birds, so it's not as if we've got value for money out of it. As I mentioned, a standard prime is probably something you'd get better use from.

Thanks for that. Can I ask, what do you mean by standard prime?

a prime means it's not a zoom lens, it's fixed focal length.
    the 'standard' refers to the focal length itself - it's neither a wide angle nor a telephoto lens.

on most beginner/enthusiast DLRs, this would be roughly 35mm.

a prime means it's not a zoom lens, it's fixed focal length.
    the 'standard' refers to the focal length itself - it's neither a wide angle nor a telephoto lens.

on most beginner/enthusiast DLRs, this would be roughly 35mm.

Thank you, thats interesting and something I hadnt considered. Now that you mention it, I had a DLSR years ago that would have been a standard prime. It was a good camera and I got good photos out of it but feel that I would like something a little more advanced now and allows me to change lenses.

I took everyone's advice on board and I went ahead and purchased the 2000D with extra lens, I felt the deal was good and it will be a camera I will have for life (hopefully) also the second lens will give me something to practice with. I may not got the use out of it as you said but i'll give it a go anyway.

Thank you so much all for replying, sharing your knowledge and helping me to choose a camera. :)

Best of luck with it! What I like about photography if there's always something new to try out and learn. I read a ton of photography books when I first got my camera. All jibberish at first, but if you stick at it is all starts making sense.

I'd highly recommend joining your local library (it's free and can now be done online), and getting their RB Digital magazine app. Put Photography into the app and you'll see about 5-6 photography magazines, and you can read all the back issues too! Should keep you going for a long time.

As someone said about, a prime lens is a good investment. I have a 30mm 1.8 (The lower the number the more light it leaves in). It's good for portraits and indoor shots.

Best of luck with it! What I like about photography if there's always something new to try out and learn. I read a ton of photography books when I first got my camera. All jibberish at first, but if you stick at it is all starts making sense.

I'd highly recommend joining your local library (it's free and can now be done online), and getting their RB Digital magazine app. Put Photography into the app and you'll see about 5-6 photography magazines, and you can read all the back issues too! Should keep you going for a long time.

As someone said about, a prime lens is a good investment. I have a 30mm 1.8 (The lower the number the more light it leaves in). It's good for portraits and indoor shots.

Awe great, thanks for the magazine info, im a member of the library but never thought to go onto their website, I'll definitely check that out.
    No doubt ill be investing in lenses over the coming months, good to know where to start
    Thanks again.

There is if you're planning on making gigantic prints... otherwise, not so much.

For someone starting out, the two kit lenses is probably not a bad thing. If you really get into it, you'll end up replacing them with better lenses sometime later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I followed this thread as I am wanting to buy a new camera too. Thanks to all who helped.

All I can really say to the OP is look at the bigger picture :)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Hi All,

Looking to buy the OH a camera as a surprise. This would be her first proper camera. Can anybody recommend a trusted website that might deliver and what to look out for when selecting a camera.

Budget in and around €350 euro or so.

Any suggestions/recommendations greatly appreciated.

Hard to know who will deliver in time for the surprise these days. I've bought a few bits of Amazon lately and still waiting a good few weeks later. Try Googling camera shops in your local area. Some let you buy online and then collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saz2020

Saw this thread and thought id give my experience. I bought the Canon Eos 4000D last year as im also new to photography. I like it, its not great, good for me as a beginner but i wish i tried it be before i bought it. The shutter sound is very loud. i haven't used any other cameras but im sure there's one that are more quieter. when trying to take wildlife or even in crowded places that are quite(Weddings) its so loud that one pic and thats it,im out the door :) hope this helps anyone buying, to think of the sound. I bought it as it was very cheap at the time

That's annoying. I just did a quick search and it doesn't appear to have a silent shutter mode. Definitely put that on your list of things you need if you upgrade.

A proper SLR shouldn't. The shutter noise is a mirror flipping up and out of the way so light coming in the lens will hit the image sensor combined with two curtains sliding across to ensure light only hits the image sensor for the appropriate exposure time.

Most DSLR's now will have a "live view" mode where the preview is on the screen on the back of the camera and the diopter / viewfinder disabled... The mirror is already out of the way in this mode, so the shutter noise shouldn't really exist... but will on some cameras. Basically this mode turns your dslr into a mirrorless until you turn it off.

Yeah, sorry I know that but I mostly work with Mirrorless cameras these days so silent shutter mode is pretty normal to me. I won't be going back to mirrored cameras for many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Im looking to buy a decent DSLR camera. I used to do allot of photography but my old camera was cheap and not very good, it eventually stopped working. Im looking to get back into photography and want a decent camera that takes good images. My budget is 900 and under but honestly I dont know what im buying.
    Any recommendations?

Is the €900 including lenses? I will assume it is

Here is one opinion.

I think you are looking for a second hand dslr by canon or Nikon.

Why Canon and Nikon? The reason is an existing stock of second hand lenses being sold for them are cheaper

you can get a canon 60d from https://www.mpb.com for about €270

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-canon-digital-slr-cameras/canon-eos-60d/sku-938764/

Spend money on a 50mm f1.8 €120 (new) a couple of batteries get a 28- 135 walking around lens

It will all be old fasahioned gear but usable

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

Was just searching about cameras as I am looking to purchase. Was looking at the canon 4000d as I want to get the 50mm lens too. My husband is a barber and wants it for pics of haircuts etc but we will use it at home too. Then we spotted the canon 100m (I think thats what it was). New to all this mirror less stuff to be honest but you would have to get an adaptor for the later one to put the 50mm lens on it. We have a Nikon coolpix L330 but as that is a bridge camera we can't out a lens on?? Gonna do some research before we buy this time round! I must have a read in here or if anyone has any advice even on other good quality budget cameras mostly for head shots!!
    thanks again :)

• Advertisement

Only if you're planning on printing rather large.

Advertisement