Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you challenge an owner?

• 14-04-2020 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

If you saw somebody handling their animal roughly would you call them out on it?
    And if so how?
    Say for example an owner walking their dog and jerking hard on their lead multiple times.

Or have you ever been challenged on your animals?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I have done a few times. Although I knew by looking at them that they were clueless and would take my advice on board rather than go mad at me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭redroisin

deise08 wrote: »
    If you saw somebody handling their animal roughly would you call them out on it?
    And if so how?
    Say for example an owner walking their dog and jerking hard on their lead multiple times.

Or have you ever been challenged on your animals?

Absolutely, and have done so more than once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

And what were peoples outcomes?

Got squared up to by a man brandishing a Hurley while wife stood by.
    Can only describe it as he actually looked like when a dogs raises his Hackles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

deise08 wrote: »
    And what were peoples outcomes?

Got squared up to by a man brandishing a Hurley while wife stood by.
    Can only describe it as he actually looked like when a dogs raises his Hackles.

1 - person stopped smacking her dog every time she gave a perfectly acceptable warning growl to other dogs .. so the dog stopped associating other dogs with getting smacked
    2 - they called the apdt behaviourist I recommended - dog was out of control after other behaviourist (self accredited and not apdt) gave crap advice

Lots - they bought a different harness, they have a special toy/a squeaker with them to get the dog’s attention etc etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Most people rarely would take umbrage if advice was preferred in a friendly fashion. However, coming across as haughtily might be counter-productive so best to tailor the advice for the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I'd never walk by. Always approach amicably. First with a smile, it disarms. Then mention the weather- 'Nice day.' - always a great opener here in Ireland. Then compliment the dog . When people are relaxed they will more readily take on board what you have to say.
    You'll get through to some but not all.
    I hate to see people cycling with a dog on the lead or running on a warm day. Especially with no water bottle/ drink for pet. A day too warm for the dog to go too far a distance and maintain comfortable body temperature.
    Some owners don't know dogs paw pads can be really sensitive on hot tarmac or concrete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Yes I've done it twice. Both male owners and both horribly aggressive but no way was I going to ignore their behaviour towards an innocent animal.

Absolute gob$#hite behavior and no one should ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 YukaShep

Best to not ignore it. Dog owners who treat their dog like that won't learn from "your lesson" but it might make them think about it for a split second...

Advertisement