Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 part Compost Bin

Options
  • 14-04-2020 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Has anybody made or bought a 3 compartment compost bin? If so, where did you purchase or was it difficult to create?

Any suggestions on either option would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I got one from quickcrop.ie

Only problem is that the dividing slats warp and get stuck. One with those parts made from recycled plastic would be better.

I wouldn't bother making one from scratch. You won't have the plastic slots at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nutty Nutritionist

Great, thanks a million. I've had a look at that one. I will email them and ask if there's any way to prevent this happening.

Their smaller bins are not suitable, I'd need the big wooden 3 section one.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TheTeainEMT

I did it with pallets. Free bar the tree stake supports and the hinges.

After these pics taken ended up lining one with old chicken wire and the other with spare slats of wood to stop contents pouring everywhere when turning

Definitely not a permanent measure (especially now as Im moving allotment) but happy enough to use it until the pallets rot then replace

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I use pallets and don't bother with stakes or anything like that, just tie them together at the corners.

Thank you. Any issue with rodents at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Thank you. Any issue with rodents at all?
    You need to be rigorous as to what goes into the compost; garden waste and uncooked vegetable waste only and make sure that there has been no blood or juices from meat products spilled on the kitchen waste. Anything that smells of actual food will automatically attract rats, which in any event are not very far away from our homes.
    Here are a couple of links to some useful info on composting:

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/maintain-the-garden/how-to-make-compost/

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=444

Thanks so much. Have taken a look through those links. I'm looking forward to experimenting with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

Thanks so much. Have taken a look through those links. I'm looking forward to experimenting with it.

I started making my own 3 part composting bin yesterday, I'm far from a DIY expert but it's easier than expected. The cost of the timber was about £80 all in. Any questions just ask!

Well done. Have you made it that you can remove the front section (to allow for turning the soil)? What timber did you use? Did you use crates?

Well done. Have you made it that you can remove the front section (to allow for turning the soil)? What timber did you use? Did you use crates?

I used treated timber fence boards and some 4x2 and 2x2.

• Advertisement

Yep all three bays have removable slots. I used treated fencing timber and some 4x2 and 2x2. If anyone can tell me exactly how to upload photos that would be greatly appreciated!!! Have spent the last 30 mins trying to upload from imgur 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭CarPark2

Have you considered this type: https://www.quickcrop.ie/product/joraform-big-pig-jk270-composter

It is the business.
    - Steel outside, so no problem with rodents.
    - Rotates easily, so easy to mix all of the contents. Just give it a few turns every time you put stuff in it.
    - Insulated, so the higher temperature speeds up the breakdown of contents.

It is a bit pricey, but it is great. You can include any compostible kitchen waste (cooked food, meat etc.).

I don't work for them, honestly! I got one at Christmas and it is working really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭CarPark2

CarPark2 wrote: »
    Have you considered this type: https://www.quickcrop.ie/product/joraform-big-pig-jk270-composter

It is the business.
    - Steel outside, so no problem with rodents.
    - Rotates easily, so easy to mix all of the contents. Just give it a few turns every time you put stuff in it.
    - Insulated, so the higher temperature speeds up the breakdown of contents.

It is a bit pricey, but it is great. You can include any compostible kitchen waste (cooked food, meat etc.).

I don't work for them, honestly! I got one at Christmas and it is working really well.

Or if you really need a huge capacity, they have an even bigger version: https://www.quickcrop.ie/product/joraform-compost-tumbler-jk400

Yep all three bays have removable slots. I used treated fencing timber and some 4x2 and 2x2. If anyone can tell me exactly how to upload photos that would be greatly appreciated!!! Have spent the last 30 mins trying to upload from imgur ��

That looks really good. Its pretty much what I'm hoping for. I wasn't aware treated wood was a possibility. Looks great.

CarPark2 wrote: »
    Or if you really need a huge capacity, they have an even bigger version: https://www.quickcrop.ie/product/joraform-compost-tumbler-jk400

Cooked meat - I didn't think that was compostable. I'm not sure about even the bigger size, I would possibly need it a little bigger than the. Lots great, but not sure its for me. Thank you for the info though.

Advertisement